PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitor condition--what's it called?

Rider
28-Sep-2009, 16:48
I am wondering whether anyone has encountered this problem with an LCD panel.

It's a Dell panel, around 2 or 3 years old. Recently, it has developed a condition where dark pixels spill over onto bright pixels and bright pixels spill over onto dark pixels. For example, I am writing black letters on a white background, and to the right of each line of text is an inch or so of blackened pixels.

The spillover is always to the right.

I know I'm not using the right terminology, which must be the reason I can find nothing online about this problem. So if you can help me figure out what this condition is called, or know whether it can be cured or lessened somehow I would greatly appreciate it.

Nathan Potter
28-Sep-2009, 18:15
Hmmm. I saw that recently on an HP screen. But not so extreme. I was only guessing but thought that the line drivers might have lost bandwidth for some reason - low power supply voltage? I have heard the term "bloom" used for similar maladies. Someone else here may be more specific.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Mike1234
28-Sep-2009, 19:09
Did this occur after a Windows update or after you updated the video card or monitor driver? Does your monitor offer phase adjustment?

Rider
28-Sep-2009, 19:23
It looks like the VGA cable wasn't securely connected to the computer. I pushed it in completely and the monitor is like new again!

Nathan Potter
29-Sep-2009, 11:53
Ahh, those pesky cables. Poor cables and/or connections will kill bandwidth as fast as anything.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.