PDA

View Full Version : Group buy, 5x7 TXP. Min order is 500 sheets

Allen in Montreal
28-Sep-2009, 13:38
The Kodak distributor in Canada wants a minimum order of 500 sheets (10 x 50 sheet boxes) to place an order of 5x7 TXP, we are two that are interested so far, any other Canadians want to get in on a group buy. I will do the leg work and ship it all out to everyone if we can get it together.

Jan Pedersen
28-Sep-2009, 13:46
Allen, Would it not be easier to buy directly from Badger Graphic Sales? They show in stock.

Allen in Montreal
28-Sep-2009, 13:48
News Flash:

My retailer just called me after I asked for a firm price on 500 sheets to tell me that Kodak is pulling the plug on the current CDN distributor and switching to a group I know to be much more user friendly and tolerates smaller orders!!

This is a huge piece of good news for KodaK film users in Canada!!

Allen in Montreal
28-Sep-2009, 14:01
Allen, Would it not be easier to buy directly from Badger Graphic Sales? They show in stock.

Hi Jan,

With the shipping fees and the hit and miss through customs, it may or may not work out well. I recently bought some 5x7 and 8x10 HP5 from a forum member and Canada Customs opened the boxes and went through the film, after shooting a test from each box, the film is fine, they did the inspection in the dark, but you just never know what you are going to get from Can Post and Rev Can! So if I can, I would rather buy film locally. An upstate NY member has offered to proxy some 5x7 TXP for me also if I run out as UPS over the border is outrages and we have to buy from US retailers that ship USPS.

The fact that Kodak sees the short comings of the current rights holder and is taking action is really a big positive move.

Jan Pedersen
28-Sep-2009, 14:06
That sounds like a big hazzle, didn't know it was that bad.
The fact that Kodak is doing soething about it is good news so hope it works out in the future.
Good luck Allen.

r.e.
28-Sep-2009, 14:39
Allen,

I wonder whether Canada Customs checked the film boxes because they were sent by a private individual rather than a commercial operation. I have had no problem ordering from B+H.

What did your retailer quote you as the price per box?

Allen in Montreal
28-Sep-2009, 15:13
Jan, it can be a real hassle and other times, lightening fast and simple.
Can Customs has held a 14 inch Artar coming to me for almost a week now, i called to inquire and was politely told to buzz off and wait for a "avis" (notice form by mail).

Allen in Montreal
28-Sep-2009, 15:14
He did not give a price, he won't deal with the old wholesaler, he will check in with the new agent in a few weeks, I think they take over at the end of the month so he will give them a little time and then check in for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 TXP.

Allen,

I wonder whether Canada Customs checked the film boxes because they were sent by a private individual rather than a commercial operation. I have had no problem ordering from B+H.

What did your retailer quote you as the price per box?

snuck
28-Sep-2009, 15:17
I'd be interested...

Dave Aharonian
28-Sep-2009, 15:43
Count me in. I'll take at least one box, probably 2!

Bob Salomon
28-Sep-2009, 16:57
News Flash:

My retailer just called me after I asked for a firm price on 500 sheets to tell me that Kodak is pulling the plug on the current CDN distributor and switching to a group I know to be much more user friendly and tolerates smaller orders!!

This is a huge piece of good news for KodaK film users in Canada!!

If this is true then it can't be news! A manufacturer and a distributor have signed contracts. Any change in distribution (except those caused by major financial changes, top management changes or fraud by either party) have to be announced by the party making the change well in advance. Usually at least 6 months and sometimes much longer. That is because new sales forces, customer service, repair preparations, advertising, marketing, all have to be in place to ensure a smooth transition. That includes pre-arranged agreements as to the transfer of inventory.

So any new distribution has been announced to all of the magazines, dealers, show sponsors, etc. So you should have been aware of a possible switch some time ago. It seems that your dealer told you and you announced it and no one who has responded seemed to be aware of it. That would indicate that if a change is to take place at the end of the month, 2 days from now, that it sounds more like a rumor. And changing distribution 3 months before the end of the year and the heaviest selling season is unlikely. What is more likely is that your dealer is looking for a new source of supply.

Who is the current distributor and who is supposed to become the new distributor? Have you verified this information with another dealer?

Cesare Berti
28-Sep-2009, 17:15
I would be interested in a couple of boxes.

Simon Benton
28-Sep-2009, 19:02
I would be definitely interested in 1 or 2 boxes.

Fred L
28-Sep-2009, 19:27
If yer pricing 8x10 TXP, let me know what you find out Allen.

merci beaucoup

Allen in Montreal
28-Sep-2009, 19:49
I think we now have enough interest to have a group buy.

Fred, I will ask about 8x10 also, I have not been able to get any 8x10 TXP locally and was forced to switch to HP5. I will let you as soon as I hear back.

Allen in Montreal
28-Sep-2009, 20:04
Bob,

I don't read the trade rags anymore so I am not aware if there has been any buzz about this or not, I was not led to believe I was being given privileged information or I would never have posted. I only buy from one retailer locally, if he can not provide me, then I turn to the web or E bay, but he gets almost all of my business and has for many years.

I will ask around other retailers Tuesday and see what the feedback is.

As an end user, it is great news if correct!

I have been a Tri-x user since I was a school kid, and now, I have to beg to get Tri-x in any size of sheet film. Ilford will deliver one box at a time and they apologize when it takes too long to get it to me! Clearly Kodak has seen there is a problem here in the eastern half of the country and are working to fix it (again, if this is all true), I have called Head Office (USA) and complained a few times. Kodak has told me they do not impose a minimum order on the end user, but locally on the street, I can't get the product in 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10 unless i agree to place a very large order.

Pix:
Dad covering the 1957 Stanley Cup Final game (snap shot from a print that hangs on my wall), the fridge was always "yellow" with tri-x as long as I can ever remember. Now, my fruit crisper is far more white than "yellow". And while I am happy that Ilford continues to make paper like the Kentmere Fineprint, I really want easy local access to my beloved TXP.

Andrew ren
29-Sep-2009, 04:20
Thanks Allen for putting this up.
i still have 4-5 boxes of tmx left from last batch order.

Next time!

Andrew

Simon Benton
29-Sep-2009, 08:10
Allen

I would also be interested in a box of 8X10.

Simon

snuck
29-Sep-2009, 20:40
As I said before, I'm in, I'm in Toronto, and I'm in for 100 sheets.

Fred L
29-Sep-2009, 21:26
see Allen, ya shoulda kept this to yourself. see what you've done ;) do you still have your dad's Nikons ?

Capocheny
29-Sep-2009, 22:27
Hi Allen,

I'd also consider a box or two of 5x7... perhaps, even 8x10.

When you get the prices... please let me know.

Thanks

Cheers

eddie
29-Sep-2009, 23:42
allen,

why not just order it from some one in the USA and have it shipped to northern NY and come over and pick it up your self?! you are not that far away. seems easier than trying to get a huge order together.

Allen in Montreal
30-Sep-2009, 06:54
see Allen, ya shoulda kept this to yourself. see what you've done ;) do you still have your dad's Nikons ?

I sold some of his Nikons and his Rollie twin lens to finance a two camera F3 and lenses kit...:mad: stupid stupid stupid!

I do have his old Speed Graphic and his Nikkormat FTN and FT3, but I really wish I had kept those range finders and the Rollie!

Ginette
30-Sep-2009, 07:27
Interested to 8x10 and 5x7.

Ron Bose
30-Sep-2009, 07:40
I gave up on Kodak sheet film a few years ago ... it was getting too hard to get and my experience with wasn't enough to exclude a complete switch over to Ilford.

I now get all my Ilford sheet film from Rob Skeoch of Big Camera Workshops and his studio is a 15 minute drive from my house ...

Don7x17
30-Sep-2009, 13:09
I'd be interested in several boxes of 25 or 50 sheet 8x10 - perhaps more. Let me know if 8x10 will happen