PDA

View Full Version : Ebay lens purchases

rugenius
28-Sep-2009, 12:35
Is it just me,... or is the pricing on Ebay as confusing as I think it is?
I recently picked up two lenses for $250 each.

1) Fujinon W 150mm f/5.6 "Barely Used" SN#532088
Purchased from individual seller

2) Schneider Symmar-S MC 210mm f/5.6 "Mint" SN#13310801
Purchased from Brooklyn Camera Exchange
I had hoped to locate a "minty" Fujinon A 240mm #522XXX but none within grasp of $250

Anyway,...
I pretty much set a bottom dollar for a "sharp" three lens system in a newly purchased 4x5.
I hope I'm making sound decisions.
Buying something cheap is different than getting a bargain.
And, of course I'm trying to accomplish the latter...
The pricing varies soooooo vastly that it makes for a dificult decision.
Furthermore, the conditions like Mint, EX+, barely used, etc,... are no so standardized.
Sometimes you can see rust, schneideritis, nicks, scratches and the description says it's perfect.
Other times the sellers say someting generic like "great used condition"... and the lens looks simply outstanding.
I guess I shouldn't expect anything different from Ebay...

Also trying to pick up a Horseman 6x12 roll back to get started with.
If one thing seems consistent on Ebay, these damned things hold value and are pricey.
Might pick up a 6x9 Horeseman roll back just to get the hand of it for 1/4 to 1/5th the cost of the 6x12 back??

I'm sure this conversation has been beaten to death but I'd expect that most lenses are still declining in resell value to a point that is very beneficial to someone looking to enter LF. So I'll continue to make a stab at quality bargain hunting and get other peoples perspective on the situation...

Bill

eddie
28-Sep-2009, 12:46
you should always check with keh.com to see where a reputable dealer's price lies.

bargain grades are usually good enough for most and ex and ex+ look lightly to hardly used.

BarryS
28-Sep-2009, 12:49
Welcome to ebay. :) That's pretty much the deal--sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes unusable junk. One thing you can be sure of--absolutely no consistency in descriptions. Always factor in the price of a CLA, read between the lines, and ask questions.

eric black
28-Sep-2009, 13:00
I dont really think the 612 backs hold as much value as you think- I sold mine a while back for about $425-450? or so and at the time there were 3-4 of them on the market. Keep your eyes open for them, you might get a good deal as well.

David Karp
28-Sep-2009, 13:40
150s and 210s are usually the most competitive prices because more of those were sold than the focal lengths. If you purchased a multicoated Fuji W (with the lettering on the outside of the barrel), I can tell you from personal experience that it is a very nice lens. There is nothing cheap about it.

rugenius
28-Sep-2009, 14:01
Yep,... lettering on the outside of the lens barrel.
Looks multi-coated from multi-color reflections.
The heck if I can decipher the date from serial number?

Thx.

domaz
28-Sep-2009, 14:11
KEH rountinely has 180mm lenses for $150 in Bargain condition. I bought a Symmar-S 180mm 5.6 in an electronic shutter for $150 from them. Some people may not like the electronic shutters (and KEH thought the battery was no longer available for it), but I love them.

Glenn Thoreson
28-Sep-2009, 14:41
Brooklyn Camera Exchange does not have a good reputation. Caution advised! Ebay is a crap shoot and you're the one that will usually wind up with the crap. If you want lenses that are in good condition and in properly working shutters, buying from an individual, here, APUG, etc., or from a known reputable dealer will help prevent disappointment and headaches. KEH.com is a very reputable dealer. Their "bargain" grade stuff is usually better than some exc+ or mint- goods. Very conservative, they are.
Your job is to ask pointed questions and make sure you can return it if it's junk. Beware mail order dealers that toot their own horn too loud. There are a lot of scammers, bait & switch operators, etc. in the mail order game.

ki6mf
28-Sep-2009, 14:43
Ditto on the Keh.com For lenses only i have purchased three bargain grade lenses. One of them was actually new and about 20 years old in perfect condition!

Rodney Polden
28-Sep-2009, 15:09
Asking specific questions of the seller regarding lens condition is the only way to go. Do it well ahead of time so there is plenty of opportunity for the seller to respond, and be detailed enough in what you want to know that you can get a good idea of the condition. I have never had a bad surprise from ebay, because I try to do the homework before I bid. People may tell you its a crapshoot - I wonder how much equipment those people have bought off ebay. For me it's hundreds of items including a slew of great lenses in excellent condition that I would never have been able to afford otherwise. Good luck

ImSoNegative
28-Sep-2009, 16:06
I deal with keh often and there bargain grade stuff is as good as most stuff thats discribed as ex or ex+ anywhere else. I also buy on this site which i have never gotten a bad deal

David Karp
28-Sep-2009, 17:05
Another great retail source for used lenses is Midwest Photo Exchange (mpex.com). Best bet is to call and ask for Jim. Great guy.

Mike1234
28-Sep-2009, 17:59
I have a Horseman 6x12cm roll film back I might sell. It's as mint as you're likely to find because I bought it new and never used it. I'm seriously considering giving up on assembling a lightweight dedicate 6x12cm kit so I can actually buy the things I need for the 4x10in or 5x12in kit... such as oh, I dunno... the CAMERA!! :) Money is just so darned tight right now that I'm realizing I may never collect the funds I need for dual systems.

What's it worth to you with a 100 percent money back guarantee?

rugenius
28-Sep-2009, 18:21
I have a considerable amount of buyer and seller experience with lab surplus supplies and microscopy equipment.
Some bad experiences both as a seller, and buyer although only a fraction of the hundreds of transactions, say... 2%??
But of those 2%, there were big purchases...
I posted a forum comment in the digital hardware section of the LF forum concerning this.
Anyway,...
Thx, and I appreciate the comments.

If Brooklyn Camera Exchange misrepresents the product, I'll be like a fly on $@i!
Paid with PayPal so I have some degree of recourse...
Here's the description:
Mint Pristine Schneider Symmar-S Multicoated 210mm F5.6
Item # 280400003987
Schneider Symmar-S Multicoated 210mm F5.6 Lens in Copal-1 Shutter. That says it all. Glass - perfect, shutter - perfect, appearance - spotless. Comes with mounting flange and caps.

rugenius
28-Sep-2009, 18:24
Mike 1234 wrote: What's it worth to you with a 100 percent money back guarantee?

I'll PM you...
Thx.

Mike1234
28-Sep-2009, 19:00
PM replied to, rugenius. Thanks for the note. Gee whizz, I had no idea the Horseman 612's were selling on feeBay for as low as $300. That's a real shocker to me. :eek:

EDIT: I just check feeBay... Somethings odd about all these being dumped on the market right now. One seller alone must have half a dozen listed at this very moment. Anyone know what's up with this glut on this particular item?? Is this just a fleeting thing?

rugenius
28-Sep-2009, 22:22
Mark,
I don't think the 6x12 are selling as low as $300 typically.
More towards $400 or more...
However, the Horseman 6x9 sell for much less as I mentioned.
The panoramic format of 6x12 is bringing a premium price and seems to hold it's value.
Maybe,... and I only speculate...
I feel the need for this item,... period.
If a person were to wait for the right deal... it could be as cheap as $300.
I just find it surprising that the same mechanism in a 6x9 is approx $100 to $150.

I attribute this to the following trend:
While the population of the world is surely at a peak...
And potential users of all photographic medium are also at a peak...
Digital photography has taken leaps and bounds.
Film, especially instant film, ultra-small grain panchromatic B&W, and fine grained color positives have declined... and been discontinued.
Sure,... we've replaced Kodachrome by Velvia.
Kodak Technical Panchromatic with Ilforn PanF 50.
I just thank god I can still run down and get a 120 roll of Ilford 3200!

I design X-ray and electron sources for a living.
The days of Polaroid type 55 are gone for a source shot, and replaced by a simple NTSC format camera at high magnification...
I have, and still witness the surges of semiconductor, mems, and nano-technologies.
In contrast to the mantra of large format photography,... These advancements will continue and will eventually leapfrog film, not by absolute resolution for the ordinary user,... but by the manner in which they require an economic solution that meets an individuals requirement for resolution, form, fit, and functionality of the medium

Coincidentally, the usage of more exotic film and film acquisition instrumentation (analog) has decreased to such an extent that the surplus of vintage and new stock related items has saturated the market.
As I mentioned to my wife, and I know this probably sounds stupid...
But consider I was trying to emphasize the point of venturing into a new form of an existing hobby while also justifying the expense...
"Film is dying and becoming elitist,... our 20 to 30 years of medium format is moot... if we want to explore large format we had better do it sooner than later because the options in film are going to shrink while the remainder of camera medium will surely become the deal of the century"...

Weird,...I feel nausea and pocketbook relief at the same time???

Sorry for the bleak news guys.
I don't compare it to vinyl records... but there is some apocalyptic paranoia with a tinge of truth to it.
I'm going to give it 10 to 15 years, and then the balance of film will surely be marginal at best because of digital back format or array scanning back technology.
In the interim,... another Duvel please...:D

mikebarger
29-Sep-2009, 02:39
I've had nothing but good results from Brooklyn Camera Exchange.

Mike

Lynn Jones
29-Sep-2009, 07:00
Hi Bill,

The Fujinon A, conventional coating, (also consider the next two) Kowa Graphic, conventional coating, BBOI/B&J Apo-Computar (identical) to above, and the Fujinon AS, multicoated are all 6 element plasmat type Apo's covering at least 70 degrees, balanced correction (rather than peaked).

I've owned and shot with all of them and they are superb. While optimized for close up, they are excellent at infinity.

I was involved with the company that imported and distributed Fujinon lenses, wrote the ligerature, did the testing, etc. as well as for the Kowa Graphic/Computars. 21 years ago, the low dealer net for a 240 Fujinon AS was $567 so that you can get a feel for pricing.

Lynn

rugenius
29-Sep-2009, 08:44
Hey Lynn,

I definitely have my eyes on the larger Fujinon series, 240mm and up.
The Fujinon lenses seem especially good for field use +sharp as the rest of the club.

Brian Ellis
29-Sep-2009, 09:22
Before buying anything used from a dealer I don't know I always check out the dealer in the "Neighbor to Neighbor" section (or whatever exactly it's called) of photo.net. There you'll find experiences of other buyers with the dealer. No dealer is perfect so even for the reputable ones like Adorama or B&H there's usually a few negatives and that's to be expected with any dealer that has hundreds of responses. But some have almost nothing but negative responses (e.g. old Cambridge Camera) and those are the ones to avoid.

Brian Ellis
29-Sep-2009, 09:26
Asking specific questions of the seller regarding lens condition is the only way to go. Do it well ahead of time so there is plenty of opportunity for the seller to respond, and be detailed enough in what you want to know that you can get a good idea of the condition. I have never had a bad surprise from ebay, because I try to do the homework before I bid. People may tell you its a crapshoot - I wonder how much equipment those people have bought off ebay. For me it's hundreds of items including a slew of great lenses in excellent condition that I would never have been able to afford otherwise. Good luck

Same with me though I haven't bought anything like hundreds of items. But in my 15 or 20 purchases on ebay I've never had a bad experience that I can remember. I always ask questions and that helps a lot I think.

goamules
2-Oct-2009, 07:47
Ebay is what it is. That being a place a place to sell for anyone from photography dealers to individuals who don't know what they have. I've gotten the best deals from the latter, but you take more risks. But I am not trying to buy "like new" condition, and I'm not that picky.

I've only been burned a few times. And it seems like it's more common from some of the larger "dealers" who's prices are too high also. These "reputible" dealers have 100% feedback or close, yet are often talked about here for overstating everything from condition to identification.

The small time seller is where you can really get a good price, but you take more chances. I just bought a convertible Protar, for a good price, and before the end asked the seller if the iris worked and worked smoothly. She said it did, but "was tight" a little in the middle. I figured a little lube was needed (100 yr old lens) so bid. It came but had several blades of the iris sprung loose. So that "tightness" is going to cost me. But again, the price was right.

Ohboy allows you to find uncommon items, and get them for good prices if you are patient and don't buy the first one you see....

Mike1234
2-Oct-2009, 11:00
goamules... What is "Ohboy"?

Mark Sawyer
2-Oct-2009, 13:29
Ohboy is anothe euphamism for ebay. Like feebay, fleabay...

A quick question about this lens listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taylor-Hobson-Cooke-10inch-250mm-F9-8x10-Apo-Lanthar_W0QQitemZ130331828088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item1e5861df78&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Is this seller just scamming people selling a $30 photocopier lens as an "Apo Lanthar", or is there some validity to his claim? Not interested in buying it, just curious...

Dan Fromm
2-Oct-2009, 13:47
Mark, he's an idiot. I told him some time ago that the lens is a tessar type, according to the VM a rehoused Apotal. I have one Apotal too, agree with the VM. The seller didn't correct his listing, and here it is again again. The thing's been on offer for months.

I have one. There's no comparing it with the $30 8 1/4" copier lenses from many makers including, but not limited to, TTH, B&L, and Wollensak. Super lens, but equally good alternatives can be bought for much less than the seller's absurd asking price.

The rear cell contains thoriated glass, is almost certainly yellowed. I cleared mine by letting it bask for about a month under a 20w BLB bulb. The bulb was one of those coiled "ballast in the base" fluorescent types.

The lens was originally made for the Haloid Model D, later sold as the Xerox 1385, variable ratio plate maker/copier. This history from the xerographic artist Klaus Urbons' site urbons.de; I can't find his paper presented at the "Cuenca Conference," in which it appeared. As I said, its a very good lens.

Cheers,

Dan

Mark Sawyer
2-Oct-2009, 14:41
Mark, he's an idiot.

Thanks, Dan. I suspected as much, but "idiot" is overly kind. "Crook" would be closer. But he's yet another good example of what people have to watch out for on ebay...

neil poulsen
3-Oct-2009, 09:04
Hey Lynn,

I definitely have my eyes on the larger Fujinon series, 240mm and up.
The Fujinon lenses seem especially good for field use +sharp as the rest of the club.

Consider the 250mm f6.7. Single-coated, but covers 8x10 with movements. (IC 298mm)

rugenius
3-Oct-2009, 11:36
Dan Fromm wrote: The rear cell contains thoriated glass, is almost certainly yellowed. I cleared mine by letting it bask for about a month under a 20w BLB bulb. The bulb was one of those coiled "ballast in the base" fluorescent types.

Electron and Gamma browning in glass has been studied at large especially way back when cathode ray tubes were developed.
The internal self degradation of Gamma (photo-ionizing) induced browning in Thoria based glass can be reversed by allowing a sufficient exposure of low energy UV to rearrange the displaced electrons in the amorphous medium. I think you would also reverse the browning by annealing the glass in an oven.
Funny,... I hadn't ever considered the magnitude of Gama produced by 40% Thoria by volume in optical glass...
>> Interesting...
http://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/consumer%20products/cameralens.htm

Quote "The radioactivity due to 232Th in some camera lenses has been investigated. It is deduced that an annual dose to the abdominal wall of professional photographers of the order of a few tens of mrad is quite possible"

For extra interested persons, here's a link to a DOE paper on Ceramics used for nuclear waste disposal:
http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/102506-cdOUOG/webviewable/102506.pdf

Dan Fromm
3-Oct-2009, 12:08
My, this thread is drifting.

Rugenius, see http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelbriggs/aeroektar/aeroektar.html

rugenius
3-Oct-2009, 13:00
Dan wrote: "My, this thread is drifting"

Dan,

Thanks for the article.

Agreed,... the Thoria (and other metal oxides) are all there to increase the index thus enhancing optical properties.
FYI, even ordinary borosilicate glass can brown due to electron beam and Gamma. We use Schott electronic glass for all the X-ray tubes that are manufactured at our facillity. Intense exposure to Gamma during burn-in of the sources rapidly darkens the glass, known as browning. Some of this is due to electrons that interact with Oxygen molecules at the glass surface (vacuum side) and ionizing effects from Gamma. The remainder is the presence of outgassed specie of carbon molecules and the like that coat the inside of the glass (polymerized during exhaust bake-out).

And now that I have been reminded of how much we are off course from the Ebay topic...:eek:

Drift happens...
Thanks....
:)

Robert Hughes
5-Oct-2009, 09:10
I've got a B&L Baltar lens with thoriated glass - it looks like it has a yellow filter installed. Glad to hear the yellowing can be ameliorated somewhat.

Dan Fromm
5-Oct-2009, 12:33
I've got a B&L Baltar lens with thoriated glass - it looks like it has a yellow filter installed. Glad to hear the yellowing can be ameliorated somewhat.not somewhat, completely

Mark Sawyer
6-Oct-2009, 20:42
And now for your ebay purchasing consideration, this fine set of vintage brass Taylor Hobson Cooke stereo lenses for a field camera, at only $499...

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-LENS-BRASS-LENS-TAYLOR-HOBSON-COOKE-FIELD-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ280406119585QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item414981d4a1

Steve Hamley
6-Oct-2009, 20:55
Mark,

You learn something every day. I never knew Xerox made a field camera.:D

Cheers, Steve

Mike Tobias
6-Oct-2009, 21:13
Good lord, I've got stacks of these, I must be rich!

Not sure how anyone can sell with such deception and then sleep at night. There's a big difference between a mark-up for profit and a rip-off, and this sort of thing is way over the line.

Mike

Mike1234
6-Oct-2009, 21:29
Some people have no conscience and feeBay is full of them.

goamules
7-Oct-2009, 08:11
Watch these sellers, it's a thrill a minute. I've notified FeeBay in the past about egregious misrepresentations by a couple sellers, with explanation of why the listing is a lie. NOTHING is ever done, the ads remain up, and get relisted (usually the prices are laughably high so they don't sell). It's totally against the rules to "namedrop" but I've seen titles for lens lots with "Darlot" "cook" "dallmeyer" "brass" etc. when there is NO such lens in the auction. You have to protect yourself when buying, OhBoy won't do it.

dh003i
10-Oct-2009, 11:03
You can get great deals off of eBay if you are wise. You need to carefully look at pictures posted, and if the pictures do not show what you need to see, you must ask the seller. Review seller feedback and only buy from good sellers. Make sure to look at actual feedback, and check on people who leave feedback; you want to make sure that your seller has received legitimate feedback, and is not self-feeding with multiple accounts.

I have had many good experiences on eBay; I've received a few items that didn't work out, but that is bound to happen. In those cases, the sellers did promptly act to rectify the situation and refund me my money.

My policy when selling items on eBay is that I require shipping insurance, so there isn't a problem if the item is physically damaged during shipping (that said, UPS, Fedex, and USPS apparently don't cover shipping damage that is electronically internal, as I found out as a buyer).

As I always package very thoroughly, I require a picture if the item arrives damaged (although I think the insurance people require this anyways); then of course if it is damaged, I'll refund the transaction price to the buyer. I state that I do not cover return shipping, though (although I think if you purchase insurance, the carrier normally covers this). If the item arrives non-damaged, but the buyer wants to return it anyways for some reason, I offer to refund 80% of the total cost of the transaction. (this is because it is a hassle to re-sell it, I may not get as much, and I always take numerous pictures and describe every flaw).

rugenius
10-Oct-2009, 11:23
Okay guys... Don't give me the "I told you so"...
Read on...

Ebay item 280400003987
English II, Bill
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:22 PM
To: brooklyncam@worldnet.att.net

To whom it may concern:
I have received the Ebay item, described below

Item # 280400003987
Mint Pristine Schneider Symmar-S Multicoated 210mm F5.6
Seller Description:
Schneider Symmar-S Multicoated 210mm F5.6 Lens in Copal-1 Shutter.
That says it all.
Glass - perfect, shutter - perfect, appearance - spotless.
Comes with mounting flange and caps.

I wanted to provide you with some feedback on our transaction...

Overall, I think the lens is a bargain for $250.
It was shipped promptly, and packaged well.
Having said that, it was not as described.
If I had paid a premium for the lens, say... $400 or more, I'd ask to return it for reasons as "not described accurately".

The internal baffles have Schneideritis and there is a lot of dust inside the glass components.
IE not just dust between the shutter and either lens surface or the front and back of the lens but inside the lens group.
The Schneideritis is minimal, but very apparent.
I also realize Schneideritis is not necessarily a compromise to normal photographic work,... so I can live with it.
The point is this should have been disclosed versus listed as perfect - spotless...

Lastly,...
Since I work in an engineering facility that has special tools, and a clean room for repair/assembly, I can clean it up... But certainly that isn't what I anticipated.

I'd appreciate any comments.
Thanks again,

Bill English
Optics Design/ Product Engineer
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Kevex X-ray Division
320 El Pueblo Rd.
Scotts Valley Ca. 95066
1-831-438-5940 X-333
1-408-307-7410 cell

dh003i
10-Oct-2009, 11:32
I deal with keh often and there bargain grade stuff is as good as most stuff thats discribed as ex or ex+ anywhere else. I also buy on this site which i have never gotten a bad deal

I didn't know that. I've shied away from KEH because of higher prices than eBay and no pictures oftentimes. Guess I should give their BGN items a closer look if price-comparable to eBay.

dh003i
10-Oct-2009, 12:00
Good lord, I've got stacks of these, I must be rich!

Not sure how anyone can sell with such deception and then sleep at night. There's a big difference between a mark-up for profit and a rip-off, and this sort of thing is way over the line.

Mike

Getting a little bit philosophical here...

I'm not sure I understand the outrage over someone trying to make a huge profit. That's partly the purpose of a bidding system anyways; the item goes to the person willing to pay the most (they call this "winners curse", not that you can't get good deals on eBay). The way I do things is always look elsewhere for equivalents, find out how they're priced including shipping, then use that to figure out the maximum I would ever conceivably bid on eBay; although sometimes I still won't bid that high.

I've seen items priced high on eBay, but I investigate to figure out why. The latest was a Repro-Claron, which was priced higher than a comparable G-Claron (this shouldn't be the case because the G's have more coverage). People here said the Repro's should be cheaper, so I passed on it, and got the G-Claron (a wonderful 305/9 lens).

But if someone posts a lens online for a higher buy-it-now than it would typically be worth, there isn't anything particularly wrong with that; so-long as he doesn't engage in deception when describing the item. Although I have never used a buy-it-now, and haven't even used a reserve price yet -- I figure that if I sell after similar items have sold with multiple bids, there's a demand out there, and that'll bring up the price, not to mention the no-reserve will attract buyers. None-the-less, sometimes you get sellers selling things way under-priced, don't know what they have. No-one complains about the buyers who take advantage of this situation. Well, it's just the reverse; a seller sets a high price hoping there will be a buyer who is uninformed.

As a buyer of items on eBay, I'm always hoping that there will be a seller who doesn't know what he has and is offering something at a very low buy-it-now, or who needs to sell something quick (fire sale), thus sells it for a lower price. Or hoping that an item will be poorly listed, thus not many will find it, and I'll get it for a steal. There's nothing wrong with this. I don't see why there should be anything wrong with the reverse; a seller puts up a high reserve price or Buy-it-now, and hopes some ignorant buyer will come along, or a buyer who really needs something now.

Although that's never been my strategy as a seller; I've always focused on minimizing my eBay fees, thus don't have BIN's or reserves. I recently sold a MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard for $0.99, although I made an "$5 profit on it" (I put in a $5 handling fee, as I figured it was a hassle to package it, and wouldn't be worth my time otherwise). That was an $70 keyboard. I wanted to get rid of it, as I have an excellent clickey Omnikey Evolution by Northgate (one of the very few split-layout ergonomic + clicky keyboards ever made).

Mark Sawyer
10-Oct-2009, 14:06
I'm not sure I understand the outrage over someone trying to make a huge profit...

I'm not sure what his profit margin is. Maybe he paid way too much and is selling them at a loss. (But I doubt it...)

In this particular case, the "outrage", (or in our case, since we know better, amusement), is that the seller is asking $500 for a pair of vintage Taylor, Hobson & Cooke stereo lenses for a field camera. What the photos show is a pair of Rank Taylor Hobson lenses from a Xerox photocopy machine. They're quite common; I bought one for $18, and wondered if I'd overpaid.

Someone inexperienced may come along, do a search on Taylor, Hobson, and Cooke lenses, see what the desireable vintage ones go for, and decide these are a good deal. In such a case, I'd call the seller a bit of a scumbag...

Mike1234
10-Oct-2009, 14:10
I agree, Mark. Selling for profit is one thing but outright deception is something completely different.

rugenius
10-Oct-2009, 15:48
Ditto.
I'd call it misrepresentation.
Thing is,... you shouldn't buy something if you don't know what it is.:)

dh003i
10-Oct-2009, 16:15
I'm not sure what his profit margin is. Maybe he paid way too much and is selling them at a loss. (But I doubt it...)

In this particular case, the "outrage", (or in our case, since we know better, amusement), is that the seller is asking $500 for a pair of vintage Taylor, Hobson & Cooke stereo lenses for a field camera. What the photos show is a pair of Rank Taylor Hobson lenses from a Xerox photocopy machine. They're quite common; I bought one for $18, and wondered if I'd overpaid.

Someone inexperienced may come along, do a search on Taylor, Hobson, and Cooke lenses, see what the desireable vintage ones go for, and decide these are a good deal. In such a case, I'd call the seller a bit of a scumbag...

Ok, yes, I agree there. That falls under deception, which is not only wrong, but also fraudulent. I think a buyer who paid that and realized later would have an argument for getting his money back.

Mike1234
10-Oct-2009, 16:20
Ditto.
I'd call it misrepresentation.
Thing is,... you shouldn't buy something if you don't know what it is.:)

Many unhappy marriages begin this way and those are expensive too.....

h2oman
10-Oct-2009, 17:26
I bought my camera with one lens from a member here. When it came time to buy another lens I went to e-bay. My only e-bay purchase up to then was a pair of skis that my mother-in-law bid on for me, and paid for as well. She is an e-bay regular and knows how it works, has a pay-pal account, etc. I got a beautiful lens at a slightly, but not ridiculously, low price. I thought "Wow, this is great." When it came time for another lens I had her go through the bidding for the particular lens I wanted, twice. Both times they went for more than I was willing to pay by $50-100. I then e-mailed Jim Andracki at Midwest and got a beautiful copy for about $50 less than the ones went for on e-bay, but with significantly more confidence in the purchase on my part. From now on, if I want something I'm checking with him first.

Robert Hughes
11-Oct-2009, 14:31
I ran across somebody on the Dreaded selling a used 16mm movie camera, Bell & Howell Filmo 70DR (which you can find any day of the week for $100). He was asking $4900! I wrote back to him, asking if he really intended to rip off somebody for that amount? He wrote back, "Dear Stoopid..." , then ranted on awhile about his prowess as an entrepreneur.

I suppose he sells converted Polaroids for $8000, too...

dh003i
11-Oct-2009, 19:53
I ran across somebody on the Dreaded selling a used 16mm movie camera, Bell & Howell Filmo 70DR (which you can find any day of the week for $100). He was asking $4900! I wrote back to him, asking if he really intended to rip off somebody for that amount? He wrote back, "Dear Stoopid..." , then ranted on awhile about his prowess as an entrepreneur.

I suppose he sells converted Polaroids for $8000, too...

That's pretty funny. Although unfortunately, somewhere, there is a sucker who'll pay that much. One thing you learn in marketing is that sometimes setting higher prices leads to more sales. But I think it'd be very rare to make a sale like that on eBay; thus, I doubt you'd make a profit on that from eBay, due to their fees (who says feeBay is a bad thing?).

I see he has great spelling, too.

Dan Fromm
12-Oct-2009, 03:00
That's pretty funny. Although unfortunately, somewhere, there is a sucker who'll pay that much. One thing you learn in marketing is that sometimes setting higher prices leads to more sales. But I think it'd be very rare to make a sale like that on eBay; thus, I doubt you'd make a profit on that from eBay, due to their fees (who says feeBay is a bad thing?).

I see he has great spelling, too.Where did you get your ideas about eBay's fees? I ask because I recently sold a lens there. Final bid was $1,875, eBay's charges were a little under $21.

eddie
12-Oct-2009, 04:31
And now for your ebay purchasing consideration, this fine set of vintage brass Taylor Hobson Cooke stereo lenses for a field camera, at only $499...

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-LENS-BRASS-LENS-TAYLOR-HOBSON-COOKE-FIELD-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ280406119585QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item414981d4a1

yeah, this guy is deceitful to say the least. he is rude as well. i had an exchange that spiraled out of control that started very benign. he is nuts. it is a husband and wife team....she is less crazy but i watched their stuff for a while. he was buying lenses and polisging them and offering them for way more as "new" stay away!

Where did you get your ideas about eBay's fees? I ask because I recently sold a lens there. Final bid was $1,875, eBay's charges were a little under $21.

WOW dan! i need you to list some things for me. i had a BIN for 1400$ and my fee would have been $51?!?!!? i think you are winning for sure!

eddie

dh003i
12-Oct-2009, 10:56
Where did you get your ideas about eBay's fees? I ask because I recently sold a lens there. Final bid was $1,875, eBay's charges were a little under $21.

Don't you have to pay a fee just to list something?

I figure that it is very very unlikely that an extreme rip-off will sell; so you'd have to re-list it so many times that you'd run up fees. I mean, it is much more likely over a year that if you try to sell a $50 piece of junk for $4k on eBay, that you will accumulate a loss due to eBay fees from listing & re-listing, than that you will make a profit.

Dan Fromm
12-Oct-2009, 13:41
eBay has listing sales. That's how characters like Boris (Arsenal) and Pacific Rim can afford to list their inventories on eBay.

When I put my listing up, I was offered, IIRC, 5 free listings/month.

dh003i
12-Oct-2009, 15:26
eBay has listing sales. That's how characters like Boris (Arsenal) and Pacific Rim can afford to list their inventories on eBay.

When I put my listing up, I was offered, IIRC, 5 free listings/month.

Ahhh, I see.

So contrary to popular opinion here, the problem with eBay isn't that their fees are too high, but that they're not high enough to discourage rip-off sellers from listing items very unlikely to sell ;-)