PDA

View Full Version : Epson 4880

Steve V
23-Sep-2009, 09:44
If anyone is considering buying an Epson 4880, this may be a good time to do it. Some Epson retailers are selling the printer for $1744 and until Sept. 30 there are two stackable factory rebates worth $850.00. So a 4880 for <$900 and free shipping. The Ink is worth ~$400.

Maybe I an trying to convince myself that I did a good thing when I ordered one last night. I looked at the "specs" this AM and I am now trying to figure out were to put it. :>)

Steve

venchka
23-Sep-2009, 09:57
It's a load for sure. Good prints. Takes up some serious space.

Notes from a friend who bought his during the summer:

Its here, its huge, and its already pissed me off. The printer DID NOT COME WITH MATTE BLACK INK!!!!! I had to drive up to friggin Austin in rush hour traffic to get a F**king MATTE BLACK INK cartridge!

Murph added 91 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...Double Post Merged Below

Why does the 4880 not show the 13x19 as an allowable paper size? HELP! It does not allow me to use 13x19 paper.

Thanks, but I really like the 4880 even with the steep learning curve compared to the 2400. As with all Epson printers, the profiles for the Epson paper is spot on right out of the box. A bit noisy, but probably because it is 12" from my face. My favorite Hahnemuehl and Moab matte papers are astoundingly good, and I have tried a couple of 17x22" prints and they came out very nice. The printer is very picky about having the paper properly lined up, and nags you unless it is aligned properly. I might end up using 110 ml for everything except Light Black, and add a 220ml on that one, because like my old 2400 it burns through that at an annoying rate. Still working on B&W prints, having some issues with contrast of monitor vs printer. Two thumbs up though.

Enjoy!

Peter De Smidt
23-Sep-2009, 10:53
Hi Steve,

I'm teetering on the edge of getting one myself. If it would work well for digital negatives in addition to prints, I definitely get one, but so far I don't know of anyone who's used one to make DNs.

Congratulations on the great deal. Did you go through IT supplies?

Regarding size, it's smaller than my 8x10 enlarger :)

Steve V
23-Sep-2009, 15:08
Congratulations on the great deal. Did you go through IT supplies?
Yes but the "deal" is available with a purchase from any approved Epson retailer. The "window" for the "stackable" rebates closes Sept. 30, for what that's worth.

I have a 3800 but wanted to start printing longer panos. I have done it using the 3800 but it requires third party software, ($$$) and a real "jury rig" for the long paper to feed properly. I started to get a small case of "cold feet" (ie WTF have I done), after IT Supplies called today and asked if I had a loading dock or would require that the delivery truck have a lift-gate. I currently live in a second floor walk-up apt. :>)

Not relevant to this purchase but I am just beginning to sniff around the area of LF. I have MF digital and film and just purchased a 750 Pro scanner for the 120 film. I thought I would give the MF film scanning a go before taking the plunge into LF.

I am learning quite a bit lurking here.

Steve

Peter De Smidt
23-Sep-2009, 16:17
I've used a 4880 at work to make glossy color prints. It's significantly more heavy duty than the 3800.

Steve V
25-Sep-2009, 09:21
Just a "feed back" note...I had ordered my 4880 on Wed. and it arrived Friday Am. Amazing delivery service from IT Supplies. Free airfreight, not bad.

Steve

venchka
25-Sep-2009, 09:23
No problem getting it up the stairs?

Let us know how you like it.

Peter De Smidt
25-Sep-2009, 10:37
Ok. I just ordered one as well. If I don't post anymore to the forum, please call the police. My wife did it! :)

Steve V
25-Sep-2009, 16:22
No problem getting it up the stairs?

Let us know how you like it.

It arrived at 9:30 AM, I still can't believe that IT Supplies shipped it free, overnight air. (As an aside, B&H wanted ~$200 5-7 day ground). The $50 extra for lift-gate was worth it unless you have 3-4 people who can help get it off of the truck. The driver and I were able to carry it without a problem, for 50 yrds and upstairs. After unpacking, I was able to easily lift myself....I would guess the weight is ~80# without the ink, paper tray and roller.

I set it up this afternoon and had problems trying to get communication over a wireless network, so for the interim I am using USB. (I was more interested in printing than solving a network problem.:>)

So far I have run some test prints and the results are great!!!..I prefer the 4880 paper handling to the 3800. I would say that if you stick to printing to either "glossy" or "matt", the 4880 at this price is an unbelievable deal. If your are going to be switching black inks, forget it. I assume that the next 48XX will have at least 9 inks and the "black problem" with be much better.

For what it's worth, the base of the printer that requires support measures 17" x 23" and the overall is 30" x 33".

Steve

Andrew O'Neill
25-Sep-2009, 16:58
A friend of mine just got one with the rebate. Funny, I don't see him anymore...;)

Peter De Smidt
25-Sep-2009, 17:09
5 minutes after I did an online order, a gal from IT supplies called me to ask about the lift truck. She was efficient and friendly. That's really amazingly responsive service.

Steve V
25-Sep-2009, 18:18
5 minutes after I did an online order, a gal from IT supplies called me to ask about the lift truck. She was efficient and friendly. That's really amazingly responsive service.
Same with me...I didn't know anything about IT supplies until I saw a post about the Epson Rebate deal on another forum. I still can't believe that they overnight shipped a 130# package for "free". They will be getting more business from me.

An FYI, the dealer paper work needed to send with the rebate forms is mailed separately and will take about a week to arrive after delivery of the printer. There is a 30 period after purchase that is the "window" for sending the rebate forms to Epson.

Steve

Greg Gibbons
30-Sep-2009, 12:58
I ordered mine today. They are on Central time, so there's about 2 hours left to get an order in and still use both rebates. Hard to resist this printer at $900, with $400 of ink included!

Steve V
30-Sep-2009, 13:27
I ordered mine today. They are on Central time, so there's about 2 hours left to get an order in and still use both rebates. Hard to resist this printer at $900, with $400 of ink included!

I have had mine for a few day and love it, especially the paper trays. My 3800 went to a good home, a student, and he is in heaven.

Steve

Peter De Smidt
15-Dec-2009, 20:13
Did anyone get the $350 rebate? I applied for it at the same time as the $500 one, including pre-applying, but I didn't get it. And the epson rebate site claims that there isn't any such user, although I have an email from them to my registered account.

Greg Gibbons
16-Dec-2009, 09:56
I've been emailed that the $500 rebate is on the way.
No word at all about the $350 one. I'm getting concerned.

Peter De Smidt
16-Dec-2009, 11:00
I just talked to Diane at the Epson Rebate Center. 1-800-277-6187 . She said that normally rebates aren't stackable, and so the system rejected the second rebate by mistake. If you call them and explain the problem, they can update the info so that you'll get your check in about 3 weeks.