PDA

View Full Version : Lost a screw!

Santo Roman
22-Sep-2009, 16:55
While I was shooting a few hours ago I went to close up the field camera and a small end cap bolt fell off the camera. I went to look for it, but since the camera has brass colored parts and I was standing in dry hay-like grass I just laughed. I looked for a few minutes then decided that the 90 degree sun was too much for me to hang around. Any idea where I can get spare parts for a Tachihara 4x5 field, rebanded by calumet? I think I'll pick up a few extra parts for the camera since I should have a few spare parts just for this reason.

santo

Tracy Storer
22-Sep-2009, 17:33
"end cap bolt"?
Not sure what you're referring to here.
Does the camera have another one still in place you can photograph?
Brass machine screws and wood screws are readily available assuming you can identify the thread size,(metric/english for machine screws) length, and head style.

Santo Roman
22-Sep-2009, 17:42
Give me a few hours. Wife wants dinner and we can't make her mad can we?

santo

BrianShaw
22-Sep-2009, 18:02
Give me a few hours. Wife wants dinner and we can't make her mad can we?

Your wife, or mine?

bvstaples
23-Sep-2009, 14:08
While I was shooting a few hours ago I went to close up the field camera and a small end cap bolt fell off the camera. I went to look for it, but since the camera has brass colored parts and I was standing in dry hay-like grass I just laughed. I looked for a few minutes then decided that the 90 degree sun was too much for me to hang around. Any idea where I can get spare parts for a Tachihara 4x5 field, rebanded by calumet? I think I'll pick up a few extra parts for the camera since I should have a few spare parts just for this reason.

santo

Have you contacted Calumet?

I went looking for small screws for an old Toyo metal field camera. Even Toyo (Mamiya America) couldn't help. I ended up going to a specialty hardware store and found boxes full of the elusive little screws, and the were 6 cents each! Try something like this.

bbjorkum
23-Sep-2009, 14:19
I have just received some parts from Tachihara in Japan. They are extremely helpful. You can contact Mr. Fujio Takahashi at optron@lake.ocn.ne.jp

sincerely, Bjarte

Santo Roman
24-Sep-2009, 01:34
Your wife, or mine?

I'm going to say both.

Santo Roman
24-Sep-2009, 01:38
I have just received some parts from Tachihara in Japan. They are extremely helpful. You can contact Mr. Fujio Takahashi at optron@lake.ocn.ne.jp

sincerely, Bjarte

Bjarte,

Thank you so much! I've been looking for a contact to them but its been a difficult search.

Thanks again.

Santo

eddie
24-Sep-2009, 03:28
try the hardware store if not mcmaster carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#) will have it for sure.

Bosaiya
24-Sep-2009, 06:16
I've had a few gone loose in my time.

Go to McLendon's. I get screws, nuts, and bolts there all the time. All sorts of odd sizes and shapes. They're almost certain to have what you're looking for.

Michael Cienfuegos
24-Sep-2009, 08:06
My girl friend tells me I have a few loose ones! :eek:

Bosaiya
24-Sep-2009, 08:11
My girl friend tells me I have a few loose ones! :eek:

I asked my wife if she wanted to help me, she said I should just go screw myself.

Robert Hughes
24-Sep-2009, 08:47
OK, you nearly hooked me into saying something inappropriate. As for OP, the hardware store is your friend.

bbjorkum
24-Sep-2009, 13:31
Anytime!

Mike1234
24-Sep-2009, 17:36
I never lost a screw. I lost all my marbles though. Does that count? And all my screws are loose...

Daniel_Buck
24-Sep-2009, 17:44
I had my ries tripod legs loose a screw once, I'm now in the habbit of checking them semi-regularly for tightness, and also purchased a few extra screws (and replaced all the nuts with wingnuts that don't require a tool to tighten), I like this change :-)

I have done the same thing on a few of my cameras, replaced the thumb screws with wingnuts, and carry a few extra wingnuts with me in my little tool box (4x5 film box)

Santo Roman
25-Sep-2009, 01:25
I've had a few gone loose in my time.

Go to McLendon's. I get screws, nuts, and bolts there all the time. All sorts of odd sizes and shapes. They're almost certain to have what you're looking for.

McLendon's....Are you in Washington state? Which store, woodniville or down south?

santo

Keiske
26-Sep-2009, 05:00
Hi, Santo. I have the same experience nad lost the cap screw two times. I bought the replacement screw from Tachihara at minimal price. At the first time I glued it with green Locktite. That was not good at all. At eh second time Mr. Tachihara suggested me to glue it with α-Cyanoacrylate adhesives like Super Glue very sparingly. Since then the cap screw does not become lose.

Turner Reich
26-Sep-2009, 21:08
A beautiful, drop dead young woman went into the hardware store and the man at the counter said "Can I help you", she said "Yes, I need a screw", he said, with the other men looking on, "Yes I can give you a screw".

Mike1234
26-Sep-2009, 21:35
:) :) :)

bbjorkum
27-Sep-2009, 11:55
A beautiful, drop dead young woman went into the hardware store and the man at the counter said "Can I help you", she said "Yes, I need a screw", he said, with the other men looking on, "Yes I can give you a screw".

I somehow fail to see the humour ...

:-)

Mike1234
27-Sep-2009, 12:01
^^^ No you dont. :)

bbjorkum
27-Sep-2009, 12:09
[QUOTE=Mike1234;512208]^^^ No you dont. :)[/QUO

I don't fail to see the point. I fail to see the humour :-)

Mike1234
27-Sep-2009, 12:14
Oh okay... well, I see the humor. :)

Santo Roman
27-Sep-2009, 18:22
Hi, Santo. I have the same experience nad lost the cap screw two times. I bought the replacement screw from Tachihara at minimal price. At the first time I glued it with green Locktite. That was not good at all. At eh second time Mr. Tachihara suggested me to glue it with α-Cyanoacrylate adhesives like Super Glue very sparingly. Since then the cap screw does not become lose.

Keiske,

I'm going to wait till I'm settled in our new place before I contact Mr. T about the cap screw. If I do it now it will just get lost in the move across the globe.

santo