PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to share this .

Louis Pacilla
17-Sep-2009, 06:58
Hi All

I found this in a book (Photography: The Early Years)

Man what a time to be alive. I know that I could look upon the digital age this way. But I don't have the same connection w/ 1's & 0's, not tactile enough for this guy.

I digress... so here we go.

From Scientific America(Aug.9,1862)

"Of all the arts .The one that seems most miraculous is Photography. That the rays of sun, darting through space with a velocity of a hundred & ninety-two thousand miles in a second, should, after bounding & rebounding from the walls of a room millions of times, till they cross each other in every conceivable direction, be directed upon a bit of paper & made a print a likeness accurate in all its microscopic details, would certainly have been deemed impossible before it was done, & yet there are large numbers of persons who by the daily performance of this miracle obtain bread & meat for themselves & little shoes & bibs for their children".

Anyway, thought this was worth sharing. hope you receive as much enjoyment from this writing as I do.

Peace to all my friends.
Louis P.

bobwysiwyg
17-Sep-2009, 07:30
Nice find, thanks for sharing it indeed.

steinbeckjohn88
18-Sep-2009, 00:43
Yup... I have also read it ... That's Classic !

Emil Schildt
10-Oct-2009, 08:05
nice.

H.C.Andersen, the famous storyteller, was one of the most portrayed people in Denmark.
He was very curious about this new technique, and in a letter to a fellow novelist, he writes : (not an exact quote...and I don't know how good it translates)

"Imagine that in the tropics, the light is so strong, it can be drunk by a plate"....

he used the very uncommon danish word "inddrikke" which means something like in-drink or drink-in if that makes any sense...

But I have always found it very poetic....