PDA

View Full Version : jobo cpp-2 vs atl-1500

dede95064
16-Sep-2009, 11:40
after reviewing jobo's page on these two: http://www.jobo.com/web/Processors.334.0.html

i was still a little confused about what they're both capable of.

my purpose would be to have one that process e-6 (35mm up to 8x10 if possible) film. it seems like the 1500 doesn't do 8x10 film. is that correct? i currently have the 4x5 expert drum and enjoy using it on a roller base. would i need to buy i different drum for either?

aside from those two things are there anymore practical and/or significant differences between each?

thanks for the insight!

percepts
16-Sep-2009, 12:05
The ATL-1500 doesn't take expert drums. It uses 2500 series tanks the biggest being the 2553. It only use the cog lid drums. But it is fully automatic. You just fill with all the chemicals put your drum in and switch on. It does the rest with no intervention from you.
The CPP-2 is semi automatic. You have to empty and pour the chemicals at each step of the dev process. that is the cons. The pros are that it can be used to develop paper (ilfochrome) upto 20x24 with the correct tank. It also takes expert drums.

So if its 10x8 you really need the cpp-2 unless you want to risk treating 8x10 like paper and processing one sheet at a time in the atl-1500 using a 2500 series tank.

Some of the bigger and older jobo ATL units will process using expert tanks and upto 20x24 paper. The 3000 I think but they are hefty machines on a base.

mandoman7
16-Sep-2009, 19:11
The film holder for the 1500 is quite different than the 3010 drum slots. The 4x5 film is held in a reel similar to the way roll film is handled. That may be ok with rotary processing where there's continuous agitation, but I would be wary of uneven development of sheet film with reels in general, having had problems in the past (with other systems). I'd want to see some sample negs or reliable testimony before plunging.

dede95064
16-Sep-2009, 23:03
ah ok.

so what would happen if you tried sticking in an e6 8x10 film in a 2500 series drum/tank to develop in the atl-1500 and process only one at a time? does it still come out ok?

percepts
17-Sep-2009, 04:50
ah ok.

so what would happen if you tried sticking in an e6 8x10 film in a 2500 series drum/tank to develop in the atl-1500 and process only one at a time? does it still come out ok?

I think some have tried sucessfully and others unsucessfully. It will be expensive on chemistry too. I haven't done it so unless you can find someone who has done it sucessfully and follow their advice I'd be wary. Your best option for fully automatic processing is to search out one of the bigger automated processors on the second hand market. Otherwise the cpp-2 with expert tanks for semi automatic. The atl-1500 wasn't designed with 8x10 in mind. Well thats not quite true because I think the manual talks about developing 8x10 paper so you could follow the procedure for that.

dede95064
17-Sep-2009, 10:28
Your best option for fully automatic processing is to search out one of the bigger automated processors on the second hand market.

since this is all new to me, which other units did you have in mind that would also be suitable for 8x10 e6 development?

thanks!

percepts
17-Sep-2009, 11:37
since this is all new to me, which other units did you have in mind that would also be suitable for 8x10 e6 development?

thanks!

The 3000 but it isn't made any more so it's used only. It's really for labs and comes with its own base. How many 8x10s are you going to be developing? If its only a few a month the cpp-2 will do just as good a job but be more hands on.

I think the 2000 series machines will do it as well. You can download the manuals from:

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_analog/analog_frei/bedanleitung_pdf/index.html

Don Hutton
17-Sep-2009, 15:02
I've used the 2500 paper drums for processing both E6 and C41 8x10 film and they work well and fit the ATL 1500. If the restriction of 2 sheets at a time of 8x10 is not limiting for you, the automated processors are very convenient. Personally, while I find doing a lot fo E6 can be a little tedious on my CPP2, I've never felt the need to upgrade to an automated machine. In fact, when the drive cog on my CPP2 came apart during an E6 run, I managed to salvage the run by rotating the drum by hand until the end of the cycle and had perfect results - I'm sure if it had been an ATL machine, I'd have been elsewhere when it happened - only advantage of the non-automated units I can think of!

Greg Blank
23-Sep-2009, 03:22
Since I started doing repairs and refurbishments on Jobo's for Omega Satter, I have been able to sample a wide variety of the Jobo processors. I like the CPP2 and have one personally, I always wanted an automatic machine. Prior to working for Omega I acquired an ATL 3. The ATL 3 is probably the biggest automatic drum machine that Jobo constructed.

ATL1000 & 1500 machinces are OK if roll fill and on- remote site processing are goals. It's a bit small for any sort of paper processing or sheet film over 4x5-5x7.

I really like the 2000 series and 2200-2500 machines....digital display and lots of advanced features. They are not quite so big as the ATL3, but still bigger than the CPP2.

There is one other machine, I've been working with & on, that is the ATL2 (First Version) it actually fits in a modified CPP2 red and black bath trough. It has the roughly the same foot print as a CCp2. It is completely automatic, can do large prints and large sheet film-etc.

thanks!

dede95064
24-Sep-2009, 09:45
great, thanks for the info guys!

what about temperature control? it seems like you need to buy a separate temperature control valve for the atl-1500? is this the case with the cpp2 as well?

percepts
24-Sep-2009, 18:37
great, thanks for the info guys!

what about temperature control? it seems like you need to buy a separate temperature control valve for the atl-1500? is this the case with the cpp2 as well?

the atl runs at either 24degC or 38degC for colour. You cannot adjust that. The water bath will heat itself to required temp. But initail fill and wash water should be at required temp and for that you need a controlled supply at correct temp.

The CPP-2 doesn't need a thermostatically controlled supply as wash is done by manual fills.

Greg Blank
25-Sep-2009, 05:56
The CPP-2 doesn't need a thermostatically controlled supply as wash is done by manual fills.[/QUOTE]

Although in warm-hot regions of the world using the soleniod with cold or cool water supply, the soleniod located on the back of the machine will keep the processor from overheating....making temperature control much more consistent.