PDA

View Full Version : Jobo SST Reel Question

Michael Lloyd
11-Sep-2009, 20:25
Does any stainless steel film reel work or do they have to be Jobo reels?

percepts
12-Sep-2009, 02:52
Hewes make SS reels for Jobo tanks. You just need to let them know which type you need as the ones for jobo have bigger hole in the middle.
I ordered some normal reels for small tank a while back. The company has downscaled somewhat I think as I was told that my credit card statement would show as credited to the local pub! Not quite sure what is going on there but the reels arrived promptly no problems.

http://www.hewes.co.uk/

Allen in Montreal
12-Sep-2009, 06:04
I have a whole slew of 120 SS reels and was going to sell a batch to a fellow LF who was interested in buying only if they worked with Jobo, I was never certain so I did not sell them. I have only used these, and mostly in a Wing Lynch back in the day, I think they are Hewes but I could not swear they are. These days, I really have no need for more than about 6 reels.

Is there a clear difference between them and others?

Hewes make SS reels for Jobo tanks. You just need to let them know which type you need as the ones for jobo have bigger hole in the middle.
I ordered some normal reels for small tank a while back. The company has downscaled somewhat I think as I was told that my credit card statement would show as credited to the local pub! Not quite sure what is going on there but the reels arrived promptly no problems.

http://www.hewes.co.uk/

Fred L
12-Sep-2009, 06:12
The Hewes that'll fit the larger Jobo core obviously have a larger hole in the centre than do the regular ones. You'll also find a small 'finger' that keeps pressure on the plastic core and will only allow the reels to fit the core one way.

The hooking system is a bit different as well although it still uses two prongs. I understand they used to make reels that fit a slimmer metal core but have not seen these in person so can't speak to those.

Allen in Montreal
13-Sep-2009, 12:21
Hi Fred,

Thanks, turns out mine are as I thought, good for the Jobo Hewes.

percepts
13-Sep-2009, 12:44
A word of caution. I haven't seen them but I suspect the reels are made for the 1500 series and not the 2500 series tanks. So make sure you know which tank system you are committing yourself to before you buy.
You may be able to use them in a 2500 series tank but if they fit the centre post they may not reach to edge of tank meaning you need more chemistry than necessary to develop film for both inversion and rotary methods.

But hewes would probably make them to fit whichever tank system you want for a price...

Fred L
13-Sep-2009, 13:10
Good point percepts. afaik, they only make steel reels for the 1500 drums, which I use. They'll also fit standard steel tanks as well so you're not limited to Jobo drums.