PDA

View Full Version : Developing Rollei IR in Jobo

al olson
11-Sep-2009, 13:35
I recently purchased a box of Rollei IR film. The Rollei sheets appear to be closer to 4 mil unstead of the usual 7 mil. I usually develop my 4x5 in the 2520 Jobo tank using the 2509 reel. However, the Rollei film is quite filmsy and I am concerned that the agitation will cause it to slip out of the tracks.

I am wondering if other forum members have had experience with Rollei IR developed in the 2520 tank. Is there a problem with the sheets slipping out of the reel? I have six undeveloped sheets that I need to develop, but I don't want to take a chance on ruining them. Advice would be appreciated.

domaz
11-Sep-2009, 14:17
Are you using the retaining tabs? With those one it would seem unlikely to happen.

al olson
11-Sep-2009, 14:21
I can use the wings, but what I am more concerned about the agitation causing the film to buckle and pop out of the track because it is so flimsy. I am hoping that someone has tried this successfully.

RDB Korn
11-Sep-2009, 19:55
I've developed 4X5 Efke IR film in the set up you describe without any problems. It is also thinner than regular b&w stock film.

al olson
11-Sep-2009, 20:29
Though unless they have changed the base, my Efke IR (and the MACO IR as well) is a lot stiffer than the Rollei IR.

Based on the absence of anyone saying that they have successfully processed the Rollei in a Jobo tank, my sense is that it is probably a bad idea.

An alternative that I might try is to develop the sheets in a Yankee tank and then tray process in the stop and fix if I can keep them from getting scratched.