PDA

View Full Version : Shen-hao TFC617A camera brief review

shadowleaves
9-Sep-2009, 11:08
Got my TFC617A a while ago and now I think I'm familiar with it enough to write a review. This is somewhat a revisit to Lachlan617 and a few other people's previous comments on this camera, and I hope my review can help people to better decide their investment in a 6x17 camera.

On overall, this is a fine camera. Aesthetically not as finely made as the Ebony 617S that I had an opportunity to play with last year, but mechanically almost as good as the Ebony one (I'd define this "almost" later). The design is excellent, the credit of which of course goes to Ebony, not Shen-hao which made this knock-off model at a price that many of us can afford. I don't want to go deep into the intellectual property fight on this matter though.

Specific points:

1) Unlike those of the Ebony 617S, Tilt and shift on TFC617A are not independent. However, both front and rear tilts have firm zero detents, and will stay there while shifting. This is good enough for most people I believe, as most will do shift first then tilting, not the other way around. This is the only reason for the "almost" qualifier I used earlier.

2) It has firm zero detent for front swing, the same as Ebony. This is VERY important. The lack of zero detent (just some painted marks) on front swing on Chamonix 045n1 is driving me nuts. On TFC617A this is achieved with two tiny, spring-loaded balls. What's even better, the zero detent for swing is independent from front horizontal shift, which means you still have the swing zero detent when you're off from the center in the horizontal shift movement.

3) The same as Ebony 617S, it has no zero detent for rear swing, but it's very easy to determine the zero position, and once you've set the zero position it has a very strong locking mechanism to hold it in place. and you can leave it there in the zero position when packing the camera. This is in fact a good design to make sure one can use small swing if he needs so. The existence of zero detent for front swing on both Ebony and Shenhao cause difficulty in setting and holding a tiny amount of swing, and the lack of zero detents for rear swing solves the problem.

4) Rigidity at full extension 310mm is very good in wind; as good as that of 617S or Chamonix 045n1 at 310mm, better than Chamonix 045n1 at 390mm and worse than a heavy Sinar F1 of course. This in fact surprised me a lot as I was assuming the precious ebony hardwood and titanium metal frame and the supposed better mechanical building of Ebony 617S will benefit the rigidity at full extension. Unfortunately not, not at all.

5) All zero detents and positions and the ground glass location are accurate enough. I'm very picky in these matter as you can see from my repeated complaints over the lack of zero detents and focusing error caused by Fresnel on Chamonix cameras, but I'm totally satisfied with TFC617A in these matters. All locking-knobs are very tight once locked, which is much better than that on Chamonix cameras.

6) No significant internal reflection as someone suggested on photo.net. The internal reflection level is the same as most view cameras or 617 cone cameras.

7) Under the ground glass there is a gap reserved for a Fresnel with standard thickness (around 1.5mm). Not sure if shen-hao sells these, but I believe they can make it for you if you ask Mr. Zhang. However, if you install a Fresnel there, you will need to either drill a hole in the middle of the Fresnel, or adjust the GG position to overcome the focus shift caused by the Fresnel between the GG and the lens.

7) The back is finely made, much better built than DaYi backs, and precise enough for a 6x17 camera. It takes 120 film only, but so does the Horseman back used on Ebony. Only the left knob will drive the film, and it rotates in one direction only, so you can't tighten or back-drive the film as you could with Fotoman 612/617 cameras. Certainly not as convenient as the Horseman back of course, but its simple structure is more reliable. And the credit for a better back does not go to Ebony, but Horseman.

8) The camera weights 2.1 kg, heavier than the PTB617, but is much easier to set up and shoot. No need to unfold and reset front zero position for swing every time you set up the camera as you will have to with Chamonix-styled PTB617. With PTB or Chamonix cameras you even have to reset the front zero position for swing each time you install the front-stand in a different hole. That really drives me nuts!

9) In comparison with a cone-structure 617 camera, e.g. Fuji GX617, the TFC617A is only a bit slower. You won't be able to hand-hold it and shoot, but you can mark the hyperfocal positions on its moving arms for various lense and as long as you shoot on a tripod it won't be noticeably slower. In addition, you get the ability to fine-focus, frame, adjust tilt/swing/shift and place the GND for each image you shoot. A huge benefit.

Verdict - a fine 617 camera and the best choice for 6x17 format currently on the market IMHO, as long as you're not eying an Ebony 617S (which is mostly better on fine details and not really better mechanically).

Aender Brepsom
9-Sep-2009, 12:31
Thank you very much for this interesting and very helpful review.

Lachlan 717
16-Sep-2009, 18:46
Good review, Han.

Thanks for posting it.

Lachlan.

MikeIsaak
24-Aug-2010, 00:16
Well, I've been looking at this camera a lot lately, and you just made my final decision! Thanks :D

Rayt
24-Aug-2010, 07:36
I went shopping for one with my friend last week and he bought the TFC617A. The quality is very impressive especially for the price. The GG can be brighter but reasonable with something like a 110XL. I ordered a Walker 57XL since I also intend to shoot sheet film but that TFC617A is worth it if you do a lot of pano.

Lachlan 717
24-Aug-2010, 13:45
I went shopping for one with my friend last week and he bought the TFC617A. The quality is very impressive especially for the price. The GG can be brighter but reasonable with something like a 110XL. I ordered a Walker 57XL since I also intend to shoot sheet film but that TFC617A is worth it if you do a lot of pano.

I shot with mine for 3 years as it came with 90mm and 72mm lenses, but a recent $40 fresnel addition gave my GG a major lift. Wouldn't be without it now (and one on my Shen Hao XPO).

Rayt
25-Aug-2010, 06:44
Lachlan, What brand fresnel is that? My friend would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Lachlan 717
25-Aug-2010, 13:46
Lachlan, What brand fresnel is that? My friend would appreciate the info. Thanks.

I got mine from eBay, from a guy named Mal (seller: Apalert. See item 120595394337).

Another member from this forum put me on to this product. I have no connection with this seller (aside from buying 2 of his fresnels).