PDA

View Full Version : Durst 810 Enlarger

Jrewt
5-Sep-2009, 10:18
I've been searching for a color enlarger for almost 8 months now, trying to find something I could be happy with. This guy in atlanta is selling one and it looks like the price is going to come down on it, here's the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120463014428&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with this enlarger for color work. Mostly I shoot 4x5 c41, but have been wanting to make the leap to 8x10 and would like to get an enlarger that could handle both. I see a lot of positive stuff about durst equipment, but this particular enlarger looks comparatively old and I'm not sure what the results would be. Do any of you have any experience with this particular model?

Cheers and thanks,

John

iozone
5-Sep-2009, 10:40
Although I don't personally have experience with Durst enlargers, they are generally held in very high regard.

I don't know where you are, but there is an ad in the Houston craglist for a new 8x10 Durst with colorhead and 3 new El-Nikkor lenses for $3500.

Look here:

http://houston.craigslist.org/pho/1313057575.html

Jrewt
5-Sep-2009, 10:45
I suppose I should have mentioned that I have been looking for 8 months because I simply can't afford to acquire a 2-4 thousand dollar enlarger. So, I have been looking for deals =) This particular one is close to me, and is a color 8x10, but also looks pretty old. But hey, if it functions I might jump on it, but I can't really find any info on the head..

Dave Langendonk
5-Sep-2009, 11:08
Durst made the best enlargers out there. The chassis on this one is a Durst but the colorhead is not. The Durst 184 chassis is built like a tank and is most likely still in very good mechanical condition despite its age. From the pictures this one looks a little rough and the bellows needs some checking since it's been taped up. It would probably clean up just fine if you're willing to put in some elbow grease. The Pavelle colorhead doesn't compare to a Durst 1840 CLS that fits nicely on the 184 chassis. I had that combination and it's one of the best vertical 10x10 enlargers out there. I've recently sold it because I went horizontal with a Durst 2501 10x10.

You can pick up the 1840 colorhead later. I've seen them on eBay a few times. The one mentioned in Houston on Craig's list is the one I'd go after but I understand your budget concerns.

The 184 needs tall ceilings. You'll need 9' ceilings or better if you plan on enlarging 8x10 negs with a 300mm lens. Not sure I'd go $1000 for this one but the 184 chassis is a nice platform to build on if you have the ceiling height.

iozone
5-Sep-2009, 11:17
I've just done the same thing myself. This was out of my price range also but I think it retailed for 10 to $15,000 not long ago and just thought I'd point it out. Regarding the enlarger on the bay, it looks kinda rough. If you have time I believe you can do a lot better for a lot less or at least get this one in the 1-$200 range.
FWIW YMMV

Jrewt
5-Sep-2009, 11:29
That's sort of what I was thinking io... The major hurdle I've run up against is that the deals that do pop up from time to time always seem to be at least 1,500 miles away from me. Renting a truck to drive such a distance would probably cost more than the freight shipping!

ic-racer
5-Sep-2009, 13:25
Realize that with the Durst 10x10 chassis, just about any color head can be adapted to that enlarger. So, if you see a Durst chassis with a B&W head that is reasonable, consider buying it and searching separately for a color head.

Bargains may be getting hard to find. A 'junk' non-working L1840 that was local to me sold recently for almost $1000.

iozone
5-Sep-2009, 14:46
Hey John,

Have you seen this :

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=50770

There is mention of a Durst 184 at the bottom but no price.
Don't know how far this is but it may not be to far.

dsphotog
5-Sep-2009, 21:25
My son & I moved one of those enlargers in a Suburban.
Great chassis, but I don't have any experience with the Pavell head.
One of our members has a Durst head listed in the for sale area.(in Calif)

Robbie Shymanski
5-Sep-2009, 22:08
I have one with the color head. It took four of us to get the column off the truck that fortunately had a ramp! My friend is looking to get rid of his, although his is the absolute Cadillac version with all motor drive controls and an Aristo. Sadly, he also has no interest in "giving it away". The Durst is 'the' enlarger to get. It is the easiest enlarger I have worked with and is an absolute joy to work with. They can be a deal at any price!

...and I happily let my color head go at reasonable price plus shipping as I only use the Aristo.

Alan Butcher
6-Sep-2009, 03:54
I have a L184 with the Pavelle 403 colorhead, I currently use it only for BW VC paper work. The one currently for sale on the bay from the picture has possible issues with the colorhead,

1) There is a cover missing on the right side that cover where two of four bulbs are located, you could fabricate this cover if needed.

2) The picture does not show the EPOI VST 1000 timer that was made exclusively for the Pavelle 403. It integrates well with the head, in that the blowers are turned on before the lamps and it have a burned out bulb buzzer. I would ask how the head was connected electrically and timer wise. The North American version of the heads transformer voltage was 24 volts 800 watts.

3) You might not need the 9ft ceilings, the special edition chassis version of the Durst L184 I have is only 84 1/2" tall, ask about the dimensions of this enlarger.

Happy hunting for the "new" enlarger.

--
Alan Butcher

Jrewt
7-Sep-2009, 08:26
Ceilings are no problem thankfully! It looks like it's back to the drawing board for this idea. Maybe by next summer I'll have 2,500$ saved for this purpose so I can just get something good without having to try so hard =)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Drew Wiley
8-Sep-2009, 19:39
A decent Durst colorhead is going to cost a lot more than a Durst chassis right now,
unless you are very very lucky. You might encounter some parts availability issues,
so should be handy with basic shop skills. A drill press is a "must have" when refurbishing an old enlarger. The negative carriers alone can cost far more than the
asking price for the enlarger to replace, so they should be carefully checked, as well
as their glass. I'm a bit skeptical about the Pavelle head and if it is capable of even
illumination. I'm no expert on Pavelle, but some of the things I've seen were so-so,
at best. If it were me I'd hold out for a more serious Durst/Durst combination, or
just use this chassis for spare parts or to support a cold light.

SteveKarr
10-Sep-2009, 22:58
Hi,
Just keep a look out. I got an Omega F for $290. on evilBay in Vegas. I'm in Phoenix, so another $300 & a day's drive. Lens are so cheap too these days ... I didn't want to rub it in, but to say Keep a look out.

Good Luck...
Steve

Allen in Montreal
11-Sep-2009, 06:25
Congratulations Steve,

That looks like a really nice rig and a very god deal.
May many beautiful prints come out of your darkroom!

Hi,
Just keep a look out. I got an Omega F for $290. on evilBay in Vegas. I'm in Phoenix, so another $300 & a day's drive. Lens are so cheap too these days ... I didn't want to rub it in, but to say Keep a look out.

Good Luck...
Steve

ic-racer
11-Sep-2009, 08:54
Hi,
Just keep a look out. I got an Omega F for $290. on evilBay in Vegas.

Looks Good! Nice to see another 8x10 enlarger put back to use!

JosephBurke
12-Sep-2009, 18:30
I had a Durst 184 with the CLS 300 Color Head (or was it 301)....it was a terrific enlarger BUT, as several members commented, it needs tall ceilings....I sold mine (I had to lower the table mighty low for 8x10 printing with my 300 mm lens but my back just couldn't handle it)...I had eight foot ceilings in my basement.. and so I acquired a DeVere 5108 (Vertical too) which is a fabulous enlarger as well but just not so monstrous....it suits me (my back) well......

Alan Butcher
13-Sep-2009, 19:05
This enlarger is on free bay, and becoming a bargain. Might need some blowers for cooling of the head.

--
Alan Butcher

Jrewt
14-Sep-2009, 08:32
I'm taking a bit more time to research, and see if I can really 'afford' to go with a bargain. Having absolutely no ability to repair, or modify some old clunker- I think it might be better just to save another year and evaluate my position then! So, I'll focus on getting a 4x5 color head/enlarger for the short term. 45 color dichros seem much much easier to find locally!