PDA

View Full Version : How to meter when using a circ polarizer

gevalia
5-Sep-2009, 08:46
All,

I have a Singh Ray circular polarizer that I use to use all the time with my DSLR but I have refrained from using it with my 4x5 because to be quite honest, I don't understand how to meter for it. Could someone explain their metering when using a polarizing filter? My meter is a Pentax digital and I am looking to use Ken's technique of using a polarizer and a yellow filter for landscapes on B&W.

I always meter through the filter for my R, Y, G, G/Y filters on B&W but the circ. polarizer ???

Thanks!

Bob Salomon
5-Sep-2009, 09:55
Same way. The density of the filter does not change when you rotate it. Or set the filter's filter factor on the meter.

Jeffrey Sipress
5-Sep-2009, 13:31
When using a polarizer, compensate the exposure by 1-2/3 stops regardless of the setting of the polarizer. It's a filter factor like all other filters.

anchored
6-Sep-2009, 09:15
A note on the exposure compensation:

Check to see which polarizer you are using before arbitrarily applying a compensation. There are variances between brands and types. If you are using the Singh-Ray LB polarizer, compensation is only 1-1/3 stops, not the 1-2/3 that is probably the most common compensation for most polarizers.

Robert Hughes
7-Sep-2009, 09:46
I use an old 1940's era Polaroid polarizer (non-circular, with the orange tint) and compensate 2 full stops.