PDA

View Full Version : Need a Linhof Master Technika Manual

Michael Lloyd
3-Sep-2009, 18:20
Does anyone know where I can get a Master Technika manual? I need to replace my focusing screen. The original owner had installed a Bosscreen and it's got some funky stuff going on. I want to put the stock screen back in but I can't figure out exactly how to do it.

Bob Salomon
4-Sep-2009, 02:06
We have lots of them as we are the Linhof distributor. You can buy one by calling our order department at 800 735 4373. But your question won't be addressed in it as this is a service issue. Changing screens is a user friendly operation and is in the book. Adjusting the screen position after someone modified them is a Marflex Service issue. 252 652-4401.

Ole
10-Oct-2009, 08:42
Does anyone know where I can get a Master Technika manual? I need to replace my focusing screen. The original owner had installed a Bosscreen and it's got some funky stuff going on. I want to put the stock screen back in but I can't figure out exactly how to do it.

Michael,

I just went through the change out using a new Linhof original gridded focusing screen on my Master Technika. There is nothing about the change out in the manual (I have the original 36 page manual - no reprint, sorry want to keep it). However, it's a simple job. Simply detach the frame of the focusing hood (push the left hinge down), then put the camera flat on its front (unopened of course). Then unscrew the 6 screws (4 short, 2 middle long) holding the screen back with a metal frame. Simply replace with the new screen and put it all back together the way it was. A word of caution: The "center" or "middle" screws either side are long with a few washers etc on them. Make sure you make a note of how they were when detaching the original screen! Also, I managed to break one of my screws (somewhat rusty), so don't tighten too much!

Good luck!

Ole

rugenius
10-Oct-2009, 11:29
Not here:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html

But is it here:???
http://www.linhof.de/service_e.html

Bob Salomon
10-Oct-2009, 13:22
The better way to change the GG is after removing the Folding Focusing Hood, remove the 3 screws and the hold down bar on one end of the GG, making sure not to lose any parts! Loosen the three screws on the other end and lift the old screen out from the end that you removed the hold down bar. Then slip the new GG on top of the GG shims on the end with the loosened bar. Set the other end down on the shims on the other end and replace the bar and tighten all 6 screws but don't overtighten. And DON'T LOSE THE SHIMS OR CHANGE THEIR SETTINGS! Make sure you put the new GG in with the ground side facing the lens.

Bob Salomon
10-Oct-2009, 13:22
Not here:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html

But is it here:???
http://www.linhof.de/service_e.html

They are in Pine Brook, NJ at 800 735-4373.

Michael Lloyd
10-Oct-2009, 19:26
The better way to change the GG is after removing the Folding Focusing Hood, remove the 3 screws and the hold down bar on one end of the GG, making sure not to lose any parts! Loosen the three screws on the other end and lift the old screen out from the end that you removed the hold down bar. Then slip the new GG on top of the GG shims on the end with the loosened bar. Set the other end down on the shims on the other end and replace the bar and tighten all 6 screws but don't overtighten. And DON'T LOSE THE SHIMS OR CHANGE THEIR SETTINGS! Make sure you put the new GG in with the ground side facing the lens.

Thanks Bob. What if the previous owner didn't use shims when he installed the Bosscreen? In other words, there were no shims.

percepts
11-Oct-2009, 03:11
I think that the technika back is the same as the technikardan. On my TK45S I swapped out the original screen for bosscreen but then reverted to the original screen.

There are shims but they are for the glass to rest on. The height can be adjusted from the other side. There are two little screws at each end which are sunk into the back. They are factory set and covered over with some filler. You need a fine watch makers screw driver to adjust them. But if that filler is still covering them then they are probably still set as at factory settings. So providing the four little shims are still on the back, then all should be OK unless the shims have been moved around.

You need to install screen on shims and put everything in place as it should be. Then you need to check GG depth at each corner and center. That is the difficult part as getting an accurate measurement is more difficult than it might seem. Then if depth is out, you adjust the little screws accordingly until you get it correct.

percepts
11-Oct-2009, 03:32
Thanks Bob. What if the previous owner didn't use shims when he installed the Bosscreen? In other words, there were no shims.

The shims provide a floating surface at each corner for the glass to rest on. With no shims the glass would rest on the shim locating pins. The pin height can be adjusted from the other side with a watch makers screw driver. See my previous post.

Note that when installing a bosscreen the shim height should NOT need adjusting according to the instructions that come with a bosscreen. So assuming the previous owner didn't mess with height it should be OK.

Brian Ellis
11-Oct-2009, 11:50
I've installed a screen on a Master Technika myself (a Maxwell screen). I used the camera on a photo trip without enough time to test everything before I left. I lost about 50 sheets from the trip because I didn't carefully follow the instructions that came with the screen and as a result my film holders weren't fully seated in the camera, resulting in massive light leaks. With other switches of screens I've sent everything to Grimes and let them install it. I don't remember the cost but it was very reasonable, maybe $50 plus postage. Considering how critical the position of the screen is, if I were you I'd send it to someone who knows what they're doing (Grimes, Marflex, et al), especially since you don't know what the previous owner did when the BosScreen was installed.

Bob Salomon
11-Oct-2009, 12:04

Then you need to send the camera to Marflex to get it back to factory specifications.

JosephBurke
11-Oct-2009, 13:42
I agree with previous posts.......since you didn't install the Bosscreen yourself I would take the advice of sending it to Marflex to see what is going on.......I changed from what I assume was the original screen with fresnel on my MT to a Maxwell Hi-Lux.....Bill Maxwell told me there was more than one set-up/orientation for the original Linhof GG/fresnel....I explained to him how mine was mounted (shims) and he explained how I needed to re-install his GG/fresnel......his instruction sheet also applied to my particular Linhof mounting......I used a 210 mm lens wide open and photographed a ruler (as I've seen others here do) at the 12 in/1 Ft mark.......just some old Polaroid 79...but focus appears accurate to me.......