PDA

View Full Version : Durst CE1000 and more Darkroom stuff

buckwaverhaven
1-Sep-2009, 02:58
It's bee awhile since I have been on the forums. I just lost my Dad 3 weeks ago and now I am going through the items that we still have from our Commercial Photo Lab here in Santa Rosa CA. I was wondering if anyone is still printing color since it seems hard to get supplies these days. Packed away is the Durst CE1000 enlarger and all the fixens like digital timers, color analyzer, Nikkor lenses, Neg carriers from 4X5 and down. I even have a Kodak Royal Print machine for B&W printing. It seems that digital is taking over. My Dad spent soo much money for these equipment that it would be ashamed to get rid of them. Sorry for the stupid question. I was just wondering if people are still interested in Old School.

Thx,
Buckwaverhaven (Steve)

Archphoto
1-Sep-2009, 05:23
Sory for your loss......

Out here all of us are interested in the old school !
People are still buying new analogue camera's and use them.

Are you planning to use the enlarger and everything that is with it ?

Peter

Brian Ellis
1-Sep-2009, 07:35
If you're asking whether there's a market for this gear if you sell it, the answer is that the market for darkroom equipment is pretty much in the toilet, a lot of people give it away to get rid of it, others sell it for five cents on the dollar. Enlargers are particularly difficult since the shipping cost is so high. But it sounds like your father had quality equipment and if anything still sells it's quality and Dursts were certainly quaity. So you'd probably get something for it if you sold it, just nowhere near what your father paid for it all.

If you're asking about using it yourself, that's up to you. There's a few people who still do color darkroom work as a hobby and some wet labs are still left but nothing like things were as recently as 10 years ago. So if you ask questions you'd still find people who could answer, just not many.

buckwaverhaven
1-Sep-2009, 18:58
Thank guys. I plan on keeping the setup since my dad trained me to use all the equipment. I plan to pass my experience to my future kids so the old school teachings aren't lost. I still have my Omega 45C 4x5 view, RB67, 500CM & ELX. I even have my Nikon F2, F3 & F4. Pretty old school items. I am just getting into digital and don't have a professional DSLR yet. I would like to do some digital with my 4x5 but the dang scanning backs are too expensive. Since you guys are experienced, can I use my standard strobe system with the new DSLR's? I have a Speedtron 2400 blackline studio strobe system, Norman 200B and a Metz 60-CT1 for portables. Any issues with sync? Do I need additional equipment?

Thx guys,
Steve

artflic
9-Jan-2010, 14:47
You can use your old studio and other flash units with a modern DSLR, but you have to have an adapter since many of them have too much voltage for your camera. I have a Wein which I use with my Nikon D700 and old Bowens Monolights. I think I paid about $60 for it. Rob