PDA

View Full Version : Can anyon identify this photographer (at chicago art inst.)

paulr
28-Aug-2009, 10:22
I was just there last week, and saw some work that I didn't recognize from a name I didn't recognize. And of course now I've forgotten the name.

It was a series of 7 or 8 black and white, 8x10 contact prints, all taken at night, probably in the southwest. They were road trip and roadhouse kinds of scenes, with brilliant neon signs providing most of the illumination, and the landscape retreating into inky blackness. All from the 1970s and really stunning.

Pretty sure it was work pulled from the permanent collection.

Any guesses?

Mark Sawyer
28-Aug-2009, 17:17
Just a very wild guess, but Barbara Crane was teaching at the Art Institute, traveling the southwest on a year's sabbatical, and working in 8x10 contacts at that time...

If nothing else, it's a bump...

BarryS
28-Aug-2009, 17:23
I was just there last week and I know exactly the photographs you're talking about. Unfortunately, I can't remember the photographer's name either. I'm pretty sure it was a male photographer. Give the photo department at AIC a call and they'll help you out.

Richard M. Coda
28-Aug-2009, 19:00
I don't live in Chicago, but I just checked their website -could it be "Photography of Judith Turner"

Kirk Gittings
28-Aug-2009, 20:39
I don't live in Chicago, but I just checked their website -could it be "Photography of Judith Turner"

No, the Judith Turner's were b&ws in the new wing of the new Modern Wing itself. I think Paul is asking about a show in the old photo space in the basement of the original structure. I didn't go down there when I was there last week, and I definitely did not see anything like he described in the new wing.

paulr
29-Aug-2009, 12:29
Yeah, it was a guy, with a fairly ordinary name. Kirk, I thought you'd know!

paulr
29-Aug-2009, 12:39
found it! with a laborious search on the art institute site.

Steve Fitch. (http://stevefitch.com/galleryA.html)

The selection at the museum was all night / neon images from this series.