PDA

View Full Version : lens for movements on super graphic

eric herzlich
16-Nov-2001, 09:58
hello i just purchased a super graphic with optar 135. i want to be able to use the full front movements of this 4x5 camera for archite cture what is the smallest size image circle that would do that without any problems? i am looking to spend under $500 for a 90 or possibly a 120mm which lenses would fit ?...and have the needed circle of coverage? thanks eric

william nagel
16-Nov-2001, 11:06
I don't think the super graphic has full front movements. For architecture photography it's very limited. Any Super Angulon 90 or 120 would cover all of the movements that camera is capable of doing. In fact the 135mm optar's image circle would also probably work.

tim atherton
16-Nov-2001, 13:21
actually, I have a Super Graphic, which has, on ocassion, been used for architectural work when my normal camera wasn't available.

As a budget option, it is quite respectable for this work. You won't be able to do really tight in work so easily, but for more general architectural wide angle work it will do pretty well.

The only movements on the back are the somewhat limited tilt. BUT the front movements give you shift, base (and axis I think) tilt, an excellent 25 degrees front swing and obviously rise (not so much fall...). Somewhere at home I have the manual, so i can give the actual figures if they are in there.

I have used a Nikkor SW 90mm f9 on mine with no problems - got mine a while ago for about CDN$875.00 which must be close to US$500...

You can get into problems with the Super for wide angle close up's as the focus rail doesn't go all the way back into the camera - but you can fudge it by hand a bit. but for infinity down to pretty close (haven't measured it...) it's fine. And you can usually get pretty good front shift up with that lens on.

Tim A

Gary Frost
16-Nov-2001, 14:50
I have one of these wonderful press cameras. Here is a sight on the super, obvously written by an admirer: http://cameraquest.com/supergrp.htm As the best of the Graphics, it does have more movements than the others, and the most important: a rotating back. For Architecture though, you will likely hit the limits of it's movement with a 90mm wide angle lens (Nikkor f/8 90mm covers 5X7 and then some)

The super has just under 3cm of front rise and a bit more than 1cm of front shift. (by measuring on mine: The original manual does not specify) Front fall is accomplished by dropping the bed. The problem is with a 90mm, the front standard is so far back, you will not get much front fall. Front tilt and swing will not be a limit. The super graphic has no rear movements.(at least mine doesn't) The most common movement will be front rise which is just enough. However, you will bump into it's movement limits if you do much architecture. Go ahead and get the a 90mm Wide and use it on the Super. It will be fully compatible with whatever camera you get later. Also though, consider that most wide angle 90mm will not fold up in the super. (see another recent post here on this subject)

Roger Rouch
16-Nov-2001, 18:02
I had the same set up a while back. The Optar runs out of coverage pretty quickly, but will give you a little movement. The first lens I got was a Caltar 135mm in mint condition for around $350. It's a nice lens with plently of coverage and I still have it. Much lighter and smaller than a 90 mm Super. You can probably pick up a used single coated 90 mm Super Angulon in an older shutter style in the $350 neighborhood. Though not perfect, in most case you would probably be hard pressed to distinguish the results of the older 90mm from the newer multicoated versions.

M.
16-Nov-2001, 19:01
Eric, I believe the best answer to your lens problem is a 100mm Kodak Wide Field Ektar. They go for about $200 on eBay, and are well matched in coverage for the amount of lens movements that your Super Graphic provides.

Lad Perenyi
16-Nov-2001, 19:52
Well, if you want to fold it up with the lens on your options may be furthr limited. See my earlier post.