PDA

View Full Version : Canham 810

e2aa
22-Aug-2009, 19:21
A friend of mine has offered to sell me her traditional Canham 8x10 standard for $2000. It is in perfect shape. So I have a few questions...

- Is this a fair price for a 2006 version? The JCM and Lightweight versions have also caught my eye, but I am concerned they do not have all the movements I want.

- What does the Canham 8x10 have for rear and front movements? Maximum flexibility here is desirable.

- Could I use this camera for architectural applications or should I stick with a monorail 4x5?

Thanks!

Donald Miller
22-Aug-2009, 19:57
Movements can be determined from the link below.

http://www.canhamcameras.com/8x10standard.htm

If the camera is in good shape then I would think that the price is fair. Depending on the lens used, it could be used for architectural purposes...albeit with limited movements compared to a monorail camera.

Walter Calahan
23-Aug-2009, 05:55
That's a $500 cheaper price than I paid for a used Canham in perfect shape.

Have no idea how much movement you need. I've never been restricted by my camera, and I have the lightweight traditional model.

There is no rising rear standard on the Canham. All other movement are there. Get a bag bellows.

The limiting factor has more to do with your lens' image circle in my experience.

For extreme architecture I find my Arca-Swiss monorail more flexible. But comparing 4x5 and 8x10 is more like comparing apples and oranges. They are different formats with strengths and weaknesses.

This is what I'm doing with my Canham: http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers/Projects/Pages/Carroll_County.html#0

Robert Fisher
23-Aug-2009, 06:49
Wow, what "delicious" colors Walter! What film?

Beautiful work!

Archphoto
23-Aug-2009, 07:19
Great series, realy love it.
Great colors too.

Rural US, North America, for that matter has so much to offer photographicly.

Watch your bellows ! It gets into the way in 2 shots.

On the other hand, I can image that you don't miss (or need) rear movement with your type of photography.

Thanks for sharing these photo's.

Peter

ljsegil
24-Aug-2009, 08:23
beautiful Walter, repeat What Film, and I'll throw in what scanner and software (if you don't mind the prying)?
Larry