PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45-N1 with Teak wood

NewBearings
22-Aug-2009, 19:13
According to Hugo the Chamonix rep, the company is no longer using dark Walnut wood. But has gone to a lighter colour Teak wood.

Has anyone got a Teak Chamonix 45-N1?

I'd like to see some high quality CC images showing both the color of the wood as well as the figuring of the grain.

TIA!

madmikezh
24-Aug-2009, 03:27
Hi,

I was asking Hugo from Chamonix the same question, he sent me an image of the camera. Unfortunatly it is not very conclusive since the light / color seems to be a bit off. I asked him for more pictures but he wasn't able to provide any... I'm not yet sure if I should order one... On the other hand, the wood color won't impcat my images :)

best regards,

Mike

Darryl Baird
24-Aug-2009, 05:22
definitely off color, unless the black is truly blue-green biased... a quick (neutral black) color correction and shadow opening yields this.

madmikezh
24-Aug-2009, 06:06
I just ordered mine, teak wood with black metal and universal bellows... I din't receive confirmation yet, but i'm very much looking forward to holding the thing in my hands !

eric black
24-Aug-2009, 07:03
Im not to sure what this change in wood move is based on. I do quite a bit of woodworking and prices for teak vs walnut in Maryland, USA are roughly equivalent (both expensive). Teak has its place if you are looking for a wood that is not easily affected by water and resistant to physical damage, but imho will never win a beauty contest matched against walnut. Maybe walnut is not as readily available in China.

Archphoto
24-Aug-2009, 08:36
It is a pitty, for shure.

There must be other hard woods that look more elegant on this camera's.

Peter

jb7
24-Aug-2009, 08:39
They're different species, as far as I know-
The American black stuff is, well, American...

Was the walnut used in the Chamonix the oriental variety?

It did look good in the pictures,
I've never seen one in the flesh...

NewBearings
24-Aug-2009, 09:08
Thanks Mike. I too got that poor quality (washed out,cyan cast, lo-res) image from Hugo. Based on that image the camera looks rather plain jane (imo), next to the Walnut version. But I like woods with character.

Eric, I work with wood too. I was told Walnut was not available. Walnut is easily available here in California. Given the world markets, I would assume it can be accessed elsewhere too - though it could be pricier than Asian Teak if there is a shortage or additional shipping costs from the west. A google search produced information that Walnut is grown in China, and accessible. http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Black_Walnut.html

This brings up another thought about the environmental concerns of Teak. Asian Teak (Burmese, Philippine, Indonesian) is an endangered species. Illegal logging and clear cutting in old growth forests is still practiced. There are places that produce sustainable harvest Teak, as well as reclaimed wood.

NewBearings
24-Aug-2009, 09:12
They're different species, as far as I know-
The American black stuff is, well, American...

Was the walnut used in the Chamonix the oriental variety?

It did look good in the pictures,
I've never seen one in the flesh...

Joseph, It looks great "in the flesh"

China does produce nice walnut:

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00OvKQLnghZDkRM/Solid-Chinese-Walnut-Random-Length-Floor.jpg
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/cncairun/product-detailseBngCpHXukf/China-Solid-Chinese-Walnut-Random-Length-Floor.html

iamjanco
24-Aug-2009, 09:30
I hope I'm not flamed for this, but I can't help but comment here. From a functional perspective, Chamonix appears to produce some really nice cameras--I almost bought one myself. As for aesthetics, their cameras are also fairly pretty, but I can't help but think about the primary reason for buying any camera when reading this and similar threads, and that is to take pictures (or create artwork, if you will).

Regardless, if the change in the type of wood is less appealing to Chamonix' potential customers, one would think they ought to reduce their prices somewhat to make up for the difference. It's possible Chamonix made the change due to the availability of different types of wood, or perhaps as a cost-cutting measure, or maybe they ran a survey asking what sort of wood their customers might like to see used in their cameras, and most responses indicated teak.

In any event, the old saying goes "the customer is always right," and perhaps Chamonix should go back to using Walnut again.

Eric James
24-Aug-2009, 09:47
From their website:

07/21/2009: Because the factory has run out of walnut wood, the last batch of Chamonix 045N-1 will be made of teak wood instead of walnut wood. These two woods are very similar in looks and function. The expected shipping will be late August this year.

Aahx
24-Aug-2009, 10:04
Honestly... If they had offered Teak when I bought mine, I would have jumped at it. As I often photograph in inclement conditions here in Alaska (rain, snow, mist, occasional hail, sub zero temperatures, etc.). I have shot my old Wista in -30F for example. Mind you I like a fine looking camera as well as anyone else, but function over fashion has always been my predominant goal in purchasing a camera. Though honestly I love the look my Canadian Maple 45-N1, and it has held up well thus far. Though I will not take it to the temperature extremes I did with my 20 year old Wista. As I would be more concerned with the carbon fiber holding up at cold temps, rather than the wood. Which is why I hang on to that old Wista for the sub zero shots. No point risking a fracture in the carbon when tightening down the back to the base plate. Where the teak would really shine though is it’s resisting salt spray for those that often shoot at the ocean. They build boats out of the stuff for a reason.

Robert Oliver
24-Aug-2009, 10:12
i don't think you have any worries with carbon at cold temperatures... they use it on a lot of aircraft that undergo a lot of stress at very cold temperatures.

Aahx
24-Aug-2009, 12:06
I have seen a Gitzo pod leg release ring snap and break off on loosening at -30... (same trip I had with my Wista) Things can very get brittle at those temps.

Robert Oliver
24-Aug-2009, 13:08
i'd be more worried about some of the metals and the adhesives used.... i've shot in the cold... but not that cold.

Flea77
24-Aug-2009, 15:11
Anyone know if they will be bringing the walnut back? I was hoarding my pennies to get one in December (my Christmas present to myself) but I wanted either the dark walnut or that cherry colored wood with the gunmetal colored trim. I love teak, but not for my camera, too light colored for me.

Allan

NewBearings
24-Aug-2009, 15:35
Hugo told me they would not be featuring Walnut again, only the lighter tone wood :(
Apparently the design may change going forward as well.

lilmsmaggie
24-Aug-2009, 15:39
I had an unfinished cocktail table once made from Teak and Koa that I hand rubbed with Tung oil. It was quite beautiful. I guess it would just depend on the whether the Teak is from old growth, or plantation grown trees.

Importing Walnut from outside of Asia or China I would imagine would drive the price of the finished product up. Would be interesting to hear from those who receive these Teak models to get their impressions.

And as someone has already pointed out -- the esthetic perspective is one thing, but you buy a camera to take pictures, --not look at.

brian mcweeney
24-Aug-2009, 15:41
Here's a stupid question, can Teak be stained darker?

Archphoto
24-Aug-2009, 16:47
Nearly any wood can be stained darker exept for the darkest.

A couple of thoughts though: Sen Hao is made in China aswell and their camera's are available in a diferent woods.
Looking at the Chamonix you not much wood is used esp when looking at other designs.
And if needed, I know a woodtrader here in Goiânia that has the most beautifull local hardwood seasoned and aged in stock ready for shipment.....
I'm getting a tiny bit of it: enough for 2 Chamonix's : Red Brazil wood and a dark brown wood Imbuia......

Peter

NewBearings
24-Aug-2009, 16:47
I had an unfinished cocktail table once made from Teak and Koa that I hand rubbed with Tung oil. It was quite beautiful. I guess it would just depend on the whether the Teak is from old growth, or plantation grown trees.

Importing Walnut from outside of Asia or China I would imagine would drive the price of the finished product up. Would be interesting to hear from those who receive these Teak models to get their impressions.

And as someone has already pointed out -- the esthetic perspective is one thing, but you buy a camera to take pictures, --not look at.

As noted, China has a very healthy harvest of their own Walnut.
Teak is not grown in China but imported. Old growth Teak harvesting is generally illegal. Ethically I would rather not contribute to the demand. Images are often created with "aesthetics" as a fundamental trait - working with aesthetically pleasing equipment is an important consideration for some.

Brian, many hardwoods darken with age and exposure to UV. The tone is one consideration, the figuring of the grain is also an important part of the aesthetic.

Flea77
24-Aug-2009, 20:20
Hugo told me they would not be featuring Walnut again, only the lighter tone wood :(

Well dang. The other image they have on their website, is that the Canadian Maple? The darker red one. If they are just doing teak now I guess I will have to buy used or switch brands.

Allan

NewBearings
24-Aug-2009, 23:18
Well dang. The other image they have on their website, is that the Canadian Maple? The darker red one. If they are just doing teak now I guess I will have to buy used or switch brands.

Allan

As far as I know, the images on the site feature either Walnut Or Maple.
If they have run out of Walnut, I don't know what they plan to do when someone needs another retaining back for their Walnut camera. The backs have wood screws holding the fresnels/GG. With the fresnel issues, frequently swapping a wide angle fresnel for a regular fresnel will eventually result in those holes wearing.

lilmsmaggie
25-Aug-2009, 11:11
If they have run out of Walnut, I don't know what they plan to do when someone needs another retaining back for their Walnut camera.

Has anyone contacted Hugo regarding this and possibly related concerns?

Also, there was mention that alluded to China having a healthy harvest of Walnut.
If this is true, then Hugo's statement that Chamonix will no longer be offered in Walnut doesn't seem to make sense. :confused:

NewBearings
25-Aug-2009, 12:22
Has anyone contacted Hugo regarding this and possibly related concerns?

Also, there was mention that alluded to China having a healthy harvest of Walnut.
If this is true, then Hugo's statement that Chamonix will no longer be offered in Walnut doesn't seem to make sense. :confused:

Yes, I've been in communication with Hugo.

If you look at some of the links I posted previously in this thread you can see that Walnut is grown in China. However there may also be great demand affecting price or supply. Many craftsmen cure their wood for months to years before producing finished goods. It is possible this was planned quite some time ago.

Here's more:
http://cekings.ucdavis.edu/files/34398.pdf
http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN-suppliers/Walnut_Wood.html

lilmsmaggie
25-Aug-2009, 14:52

Yes, I saw your other posts and I understand that there may be demand and/or availability which may be a factor in affecting price.

I know woodworkers, furniture makers and other artisians. I understand the need for the wood to cure and dry properly before being worked. I use to play the cello and knew several bow makers and violin makers. They always kept a stockpile of wood that was in various stages of drying etc. Considering the amount of wood used to build a violin or other instrument of the violin family, most of these makers (primarily in Northern and Southern California), would usually have several years of stock available. Particularly Maple and Ebony.

I remember especially when Pernambuco was placed on the endangered species list, which drove the price up considerably for this wood. There were articles in String Magazine, The Strad and various other publications were makers were saying that the price increase would not affect them because of the several years supply the had on hand.

Considering that the Chamonix was constructed chiefly of carbon fibre, it just seems odd that Hugo would essentially say that Walnut would NOT be offered again. The statement doesn't seem to leave any room for re-introduction in the future.

Also when you consider that the U.S. and China are the top two growers of Walnut, this wood should be plentiful, unless disease or pests have adversely affected availability.

mortensen
25-Aug-2009, 16:05
Anyone know if they will be bringing the walnut back? I was hoarding my pennies to get one in December (my Christmas present to myself) but I wanted either the dark walnut or that cherry colored wood with the gunmetal colored trim. I love teak, but not for my camera, too light colored for me.

Allan

You may already know this, but Hugo told me that the current august batch is THE LAST 45n-1 batch... In a year or so, Chamonix will introduce fresh new models, but the 45n-1 will be discontinued!

- which is why I instantly ordered a teak/black 45n-1 w. universal bellows. PM him - there might be some unreserved left in the current batch. And well, early Christmas presents is an underrated joy :)

/lars

NewBearings
25-Aug-2009, 16:54
You may already know this, but Hugo told me that the current august batch is THE LAST 45n-1 batch... In a year or so, Chamonix will introduce fresh new models, but the 45n-1 will be discontinued!

/lars

Lars, I was told this too. But was not given an answer as to whether there is a different model 4x5 to be offered.

mortensen
26-Aug-2009, 00:35
Lars, I was told this too. But was not given an answer as to whether there is a different model 4x5 to be offered.

According to Hugo, there will be - a 45P or 45S. But those letters do not make me any wiser as to which specifications/changes that implies...?

But the release of this new model is the trouble here, since Hugo don't know when it will be available. He wrote to me, that it 'might' come out mid next year.

madmikezh
26-Aug-2009, 03:07
I have just by PayPal to Hugo, according to him the shipping date for this last batch is August 30th. Guess I was lucky... I ordered the Teak model with black metal parts and universal bellows... I'll post pictures as soon as the camera arrives.

mortensen
26-Aug-2009, 03:13
I have just by PayPal to Hugo, according to him the shipping date for this last batch is August 30th. Guess I was lucky... I ordered the Teak model with black metal parts and universal bellows... I'll post pictures as soon as the camera arrives.

... exact same as me :) I think we'll be happy

shadowleaves
26-Aug-2009, 16:37

- which is why I instantly ordered a teak/black 45n-1 w. universal bellows. PM him - there might be some unreserved left in the current batch. And well, early Christmas presents is an underrated joy :)

/lars

exactly. The owner of Chamonix is designing a new model of 4x5 Chamonix camera that would address some of the issues of 045n1. It will be a more capable camera than 045n1, but perhaps heavier. According to himself on the public forum (Chinese) of Chamonix a couple of month ago, the new version, called 045P, will use geared focus on its rear assembly rather than the front assembly. I won't feel sad about the ending of 045n1 as I believe the incoming 45P will be even better.

The ending walnut thing, I believe was mostly due to the curing issue. A few years ago when Chamonix began to make 045n1 and many other larger cameras they already had a stock of cured walnut, which unfortunately now runs out. As for the teak stock, I believe they prepared it long time ago to replace the walnut, perhaps due to its better resistance against weather.

shadowleaves
26-Aug-2009, 16:46
According to Hugo, there will be - a 45P or 45S. But those letters do not make me any wiser as to which specifications/changes that implies...?

But the release of this new model is the trouble here, since Hugo don't know when it will be available. He wrote to me, that it 'might' come out mid next year.

The 45S is likely to be a "Snapshot" version which has no bellow. Pics of this camera was already released, but it's not certain if it will use the "45S" name officially or not. 45P is the "Professional" version, and I believe the "P" in the name carries similar meaning as it does in the name of Sinar P series. the designing of 45P, according to the owner of Chamonix himself, is in "finalizing" period and will need some more time before some sample pics will be released.

lilmsmaggie
28-Aug-2009, 19:51
As for me, I'll be happy to just get my hands on a Chamonix 4X5.

NewBearings
28-Aug-2009, 22:49
I spoke with Hugo, tonight. The change from Walnut is a result of low stock on cured wood, as I suspected. Apparently they started curing teak some time ago. The next upgraded 4x5 may include more precision. Will have to wait and see.

I guess the current 45s are destined to become collectibles :)

eddie
29-Aug-2009, 05:06
is teak lighter?

it does not matter to me teak or walnut. i would rather have the newer redesigned version anyway.

so all you walnut only users do not worry, i will sell you mine. :)

eddie

oris642
29-Aug-2009, 08:50
I talked to Kerry Thalmann a while ago and he said the same thing. The wood needs to be air dried for a few years so it doesn't warp; I think I read somewhere else for 3 years. So it's not that there isn't more walnut in China, but availability of walnut that is air dried and ready.

lilmsmaggie
29-Aug-2009, 14:56
Another question for those who have more contact with Hugo. A few months back, I asked Hugo about 4X5 film holders. The website showed no prices and Hugo said that there were none.

Has anyone asked about these?

madmikezh
1-Sep-2009, 01:35
For those who are interested, my Chamonix was shipped on the 28th. Currently it's in Shanghai beeing dispatched :) Can't wait to hold it in my hands !

Neil Smith
1-Sep-2009, 02:22
I also ordered a 45-N1 with Teak wood, which at the moment is with customs in the UK (working out their pound of flesh no doubt) The Teak wood will suit the British climate better than Walnut from what I have read. It might not look as pretty but it will be a better working camera which is more important.

Neil

mortensen
9-Sep-2009, 09:35
Although you may already have received yours, here's a few images of the teak model - just got it an hour ago... and I think it's a beauty :)

mortensen
9-Sep-2009, 09:36
... and a few more

shadowleaves
9-Sep-2009, 10:06
Although you may already have received yours, here's a few images of the teak model - just got it an hour ago... and I think it's a beauty :)

A beauty indeed! Just be careful about the focusing error caused by the fresnel...remove it if you need precise focusing.

brian mcweeney
9-Sep-2009, 16:20
That's a very nice looking camera Mortensen! Did you get the black metal version instead of grey? It contrasts nicely with the warm wood tones.

brian mcweeney
9-Sep-2009, 16:26
Which color is correct or MORE correct? The first image is from post #3, the other from Mortensen's post.

robertmgray
9-Sep-2009, 22:30
Just got mine yesterday, what a beauty! The picture that Mortensen posted is much more accurate in color than the other photo. I'm curious about the Fresnel focusing issue, is the problem well known, I know I had only seen one case of it, but maybe I should be concerned?

shadowleaves
9-Sep-2009, 22:41
Just got mine yesterday, what a beauty! The picture that Mortensen posted is much more accurate in color than the other photo. I'm curious about the Fresnel focusing issue, is the problem well known, I know I had only seen one case of it, but maybe I should be concerned?

It exists on every Chamonix 045n1 camera. however, it won't be a significant issue if you mostly shoot at aperture below f/22. starting at f/32 this will be completely invisible.

mortensen
9-Sep-2009, 23:13
@ Brian: The images I posted are straight out of the camera, taken with only diffuse light from the window, no WB correction - so I think it is safe to say, that the colours are very close reality... and yes, I chose black metal, since the wood is brighter than the walnut I would like it to be all black and wood.

... focusing error??? I haven't heard anything about that. Can you link to some threads, shadowleaves? I thought I read every thread (well, almost) about the chamonix. This is my first 4x5 camera so I'm about to make every possible mistake... eliminating a few would certainly be nice :)

Duane Polcou
9-Sep-2009, 23:43
Back in the early 90's Fred Picker, proprietor of Zone VI studios, announced he was going to switch from Cherry to Honduran Mohogany for his Zone VI cameras. Since many LF photographers are nature lovers, considerable outcry to this decision was given, as they feared the very cameras they were buying to celebrate and protect nature were in fact contributing to the destruction of the Honduran rainforest.

Picker, in the next Zone VI catalog, assured all that this was not the case. This coming from a man who once described carrying a saw into the field to cut off branches to get a better shot.

So if anyone in the Chamonix factory sees an apparition of an old Vermonter lurking about...

robertmgray
10-Sep-2009, 08:41
Does anyone have any experience with Maxwell Screens being used on the 45n-1? I've heard they're tremendous screens even if you don't have focusing errors, but maybe they would be more accurate for this situation as well.

shadowleaves
10-Sep-2009, 08:48
Does anyone have any experience with Maxwell Screens being used on the 45n-1? I've heard they're tremendous screens even if you don't have focusing errors, but maybe they would be more accurate for this situation as well.

maxwell screens should be ok as their fresnel side is between the ground side and the photographer.

shadowleaves
10-Sep-2009, 08:50
@ Brian: The images I posted are straight out of the camera, taken with only diffuse light from the window, no WB correction - so I think it is safe to say, that the colours are very close reality... and yes, I chose black metal, since the wood is brighter than the walnut I would like it to be all black and wood.

... focusing error??? I haven't heard anything about that. Can you link to some threads, shadowleaves? I thought I read every thread (well, almost) about the chamonix. This is my first 4x5 camera so I'm about to make every possible mistake... eliminating a few would certainly be nice :)

A couple of people mentioned this earlier.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=49328
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=52890

my explanation about the error:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=503508&postcount=16

robertmgray
10-Sep-2009, 09:48
Thanks Shadowleaves, I've gone through those threads already and have pm'd one of the users. His and your explanations were very helpful, I think I should be fine. I'll be shooting mostly f/22 for landscapes anyways, so I doubt this focusing issue will hinder my shots.

Bob McCarthy
10-Sep-2009, 12:05
Back in the early 90's Fred Picker, proprietor of Zone VI studios, announced he was going to switch from Cherry to Honduran Mohogany for his Zone VI cameras. Since many LF photographers are nature lovers, considerable outcry to this decision was given, as they feared the very cameras they were buying to celebrate and protect nature were in fact contributing to the destruction of the Honduran rainforest.

Picker, in the next Zone VI catalog, assured all that this was not the case. This coming from a man who once described carrying a saw into the field to cut off branches to get a better shot.

So if anyone in the Chamonix factory sees an apparition of an old Vermonter lurking about...

good grief, you're jumping on the grave of virtually every manufacture of wood camera for the past century and beyond. Fred added to the community, as did Deardorff, et al. Is your house filled with oil derived furniture?? Likely not!

Good, responsible harvesting practices can create a long future with wood view cameras. Maybe 4 trees gave there lives for the entire production of view camera last year. Silly statement, but the scale is right.

Hell, pool furniture consumed entire forests of trees.

bob

mortensen
10-Sep-2009, 13:25
Thanks, shadowleaves... I might come up with a question or two after reading - hope you don't mind :)

brian mcweeney
10-Sep-2009, 13:41

Thanks Mortensen! It really is a pretty camera with the black metal.

NewBearings
10-Sep-2009, 15:10
... and a few more

Nice! Thanks for posting.
Doesn't look half bad - accept for being twisted into a knot ;^)

Michael Rosenberg
10-Sep-2009, 15:30
I have trimmed down a Maxwell screen, which came from a Wisner that I sold some time ago, and placed it on my 45n. The fresnel side is facing the photographer as shadowleaves mentioned. The only issue is the thickness of the screen plus cover glass causes the 4 black screen holders to be canted at an angle. This can be corrected by shimming them; however, it does make it harder to put the screen protector on.

The Maxwell screen works very well - everything is nicely in focus.

Mike

DuncanD
10-Sep-2009, 21:19
I've worked with wood in furniture and boat building for over fifty years. Teak is a very poor substitute for walnut in this application. Teak is a very widely, and abused, used name which, like "mahogany", is slapped on many species of tropical hardwood.

True teak, and most of what is offered under that label, is much softer (albeit a "hardwood"), fairly brittle, and not particularly strong. It is, however, quite resistant to weathering and pests. That is why teak is a premium wood for boat planking, decking, and finish trim.

Walnut is hard, dense, and tough, but not very durable in exterior (let alone marine) uses. Since most furniture is not left outdoors or immersed in salt water for extended periods, walnut is very suitable for fine cabinetry. In fact, walnut (along with mahogany and cherry) has been the premier cabinet wood for at least three centuries.

Often do you intend to leave your camera immersed in salt water for extended periods? :-)

robertmgray
10-Sep-2009, 21:49
Luckily I don't plan on using my camera as furniture :) I understand why people are considerate of the wood that is being used, but coming from using a piece-of-shit plastic Nikon D40x, I think Teak will tickle my fancy just fine. That is interesting though Duncan, I guess I won't think twice about those seascape shots :)

jb7
11-Sep-2009, 02:15
I've worked with wood in furniture and boat building for over fifty years. Teak is a very poor substitute for walnut in this application. Teak is a very widely, and abused, used name which, like "mahogany", is slapped on many species of tropical hardwood.

True teak, and most of what is offered under that label, is much softer (albeit a "hardwood"), fairly brittle, and not particularly strong. It is, however, quite resistant to weathering and pests. That is why teak is a premium wood for boat planking, decking, and finish trim.

Walnut is hard, dense, and tough, but not very durable in exterior (let alone marine) uses. Since most furniture is not left outdoors or immersed in salt water for extended periods, walnut is very suitable for fine cabinetry. In fact, walnut (along with mahogany and cherry) has been the premier cabinet wood for at least three centuries.

Often do you intend to leave your camera immersed in salt water for extended periods? :-)

Good points well made-

Might the teak be a good selection in a tropical environment?
Better than walnut?

Where humidity is more of an issue?

I think cameras are usually not left exposed for extended periods in any climate,
but tropical humidity might be the greatest test of any precision joinery...

MattTrask
11-Sep-2009, 19:55
Would be interesting to hear from those who receive these Teak models to get their impressions.

I just got mine about a week and a half ago. I too was disappointed to hear that the walnut (my favorite of all possible woods) was not available, but the teak is very nicely done. If you click on the pictures that are shown on their 4x5 page, they are the teak model with gunmetal gray, same as what I got. Fit and finish is fabulous, and might even fool someone that doesn't really know their walnut.

MattTrask
11-Sep-2009, 20:08
Good points well made-

Might the teak be a good selection in a tropical environment?
Better than walnut?

Where humidity is more of an issue?

I think cameras are usually not left exposed for extended periods in any climate,
but tropical humidity might be the greatest test of any precision joinery...

This whole debate of the suitability of woods is pretty amusing - there is not enough wood used here to matter. Almost like debating whether a hood ornament on a Mercedes should be cast pot-metal or CNC'd billet.

A real fanatic might choose maple over walnut to save a few grams in their backpack, but this is really just about aesthetics. And as I said before, when the teak appeared in 3D form on my doorstep, I discovered that it was lovely.

NewBearings
11-Sep-2009, 22:32
I just got mine about a week and a half ago. I too was disappointed to hear that the walnut (my favorite of all possible woods) was not available, but the teak is very nicely done. If you click on the pictures that are shown on their 4x5 page, they are the teak model with gunmetal gray, same as what I got. Fit and finish is fabulous, and might even fool someone that doesn't really know their walnut.

Matt, the 4x5 pictures currently on the Chamonix site feature Walnut. I have a Walnut model (possibly one of the very last), which I'm delighted.

jb7
12-Sep-2009, 01:16
This whole debate of the suitability of woods is pretty amusing - there is not enough wood used here to matter. Almost like debating whether a hood ornament on a Mercedes should be cast pot-metal or CNC'd billet.

A real fanatic might choose maple over walnut to save a few grams in their backpack, but this is really just about aesthetics. And as I said before, when the teak appeared in 3D form on my doorstep, I discovered that it was lovely.

My comment had nothing to do with sustainability,
rather, it was about the relative structural merits of the different species in a testing environment.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear-

jaimeb82
17-Sep-2009, 10:51
Teak and silver or Teak and black? To be or not to be?

Any suggestions?

BarryS
17-Sep-2009, 10:59
Teak and silver or Teak and black? To be or not to be?

Any suggestions?

I originally bought a walnut+black 45N-1, but sold it to buy a walnut+titanium gray for one reason--I had trouble seeing the black knobs at night. Both combinations look great.

rugenius
17-Sep-2009, 19:59
I just purchased a like new Walnut-Titanium Chamonix 045N from this forum.
Very excited!

jaimeb82
1-Oct-2009, 04:23
A small package was left in the floor of my lobby yesterday, it had Chinese characters on it. The only words I could make sense were "CHINA POST GROUP" and my own name? Thanks Hugo! Teak looks great and the camera is insanely light !

Chris Dunham
4-Oct-2009, 00:48
I've got a 045N in maple in which I think is just great and I'm saving fro a 8x10 from the same folk. I won't buy any product made from teak or any other wood that can not be harvested in a sustainable and responsible way. There's next to no difference in real terms between the various woods used for our cameras - they all work, but what we choose to endorse by way of our purchases can make quite a bit of difference.

Chris.

mortensen
4-Oct-2009, 03:21
Well, idealism is a good thing, but just try to imagine how many cameras you can build from one single trunk! Using rare hardwood for, lets say, the Coney Island board walk is a different matter - scale is as important as idealism, IMHO.

congrats with the camera, btw :)

Chris Dunham
4-Oct-2009, 19:38
Well, idealism is a good thing, but just try to imagine how many cameras you can build from one single trunk! Using rare hardwood for, lets say, the Coney Island board walk is a different matter - scale is as important as idealism, IMHO.

congrats with the camera, btw :)

Unfortunately it is no longer a mater of ideals but one of necessity. On this side of the planet these matters are very real and not an abstract notion. The extraction of one prime hardwood comes at the cost of hundreds of other trees which are destroyed to 'slip' the target species out and that is the best case when compared to clear felling. These trees are more often than not logged illegally and at the expense of local people, their lively hood and culture.

Removing the demand for exotic hardwoods by not supporting the sale of products is the only effective way of combating rain forest destruction. At the moment in the Australasia region there is a focus on the issue of palm oil and it's production which is eating large tracts of rain forest in south east asia all the way down to Papua. By having products which include palm oil as a constituent labeled each of us can make a choice about buying that particular product.

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a rave and I hope you don't take this as preaching, I just wish to inform. I'm not even a 'greenie'.

I would much rather have a field camera made from recycled packing case plywood or something along those lines and have the joy of making images of giant hardwoods deep in the bush along with all the plants and animals that goes with them - and I wish that for you as well.

Regards,

Chris.

jaimeb82
4-Oct-2009, 21:05
I still like my teak camera and sorry about the ecosystem coming into an end.

sanking
5-Oct-2009, 08:15
I would much rather have a field camera made from recycled packing case plywood or something along those lines and have the joy of making images of giant hardwoods deep in the bush along with all the plants and animals that goes with them - and I wish that for you as well.

Regards,

Chris.

Teak is great for boats and outdoor furniture but not in my mind ideal for cameras.

On the other hand, teak is grown commercially for harvesting in both southeast asia and in the americas, as pine is grown in the US, so there is IMO no reason for the ecological concern.

Sandy King

NewBearings
5-Oct-2009, 12:48
Teak is great for boats and outdoor furniture but not in my mind ideal for cameras.

On the other hand, teak is grown commercially for harvesting in both southeast asia and in the americas, as pine is grown in the US, so there is IMO no reason for the ecological concern.

Sandy King

There is now concern over the use of Teak if it is certified. Just because certified sustainable grown teak is produced does not mean forests are not being harvested as well. One needs to get specific confirmation from a finished goods producer to know the reality.

Burma is the number one producer. The Government there is not known for progressive policies.

http://www.illegal-logging.info/item_single.php?item=news&item_id=1478&approach_id=1

sanking
5-Oct-2009, 13:23
There is now concern over the use of Teak if it is certified. Just because certified sustainable grown teak is produced does not mean forests are not being harvested as well. One needs to get specific confirmation from a finished goods producer to know the reality.

Burma is the number one producer. The Government there is not known for progressive policies.

http://www.illegal-logging.info/item_single.php?item=news&item_id=1478&approach_id=1

The point is that teak can be grown and harvested commercially at a profit. The same can not be said of other woods which are used in making cameras, mahogany from central America for example, or even American black walnut.

Sandy King

NewBearings
5-Oct-2009, 14:19
The point is that teak can be grown and harvested commercially at a profit. The same can not be said of other woods which are used in making cameras, mahogany from central America for example, or even American black walnut.

Sandy King

Aside from theory... let's address actuality.

http://www.thomahog.com/fsc.htm
http://www.hardwoods-inc.com/products.aspx?subnav=1d7-ef818af20b7b

I don't believe American black walnut is endangered to the extent of other hardwoods.
Most likely the black walnut used is grown in China.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=JUNI

azdustdevil
1-Feb-2011, 21:06
I specified teak when I ordered my Chamonix. Teak is widely used in boats and is far more resilient to variations in humidity and temperature than walnut.

Robert Hughes
2-Feb-2011, 07:59
I still like my teak camera and sorry about the ecosystem coming into an end.
And I like my human skin lampshades, too! :p