PDA

View Full Version : Brett Weston - large collection on ebay

Leonard Alecu
17-Aug-2009, 13:47
Hello,

For who are interested, just now a large collection of original Brett Weston photographs are offered for sell on eBay by Levin Gallery. I am extremely happy because I bought two of them - BRETT WESTON 1971 WHARF REFLECTIONS 11X14 PHOTOGRAPH and BRETT WESTON 1955 BROKEN GLASS 11X14 PHOTOGRAPH. This will not happened every day.
The price for which you can get one, or more, can be reasonable if you make an offer to the seller.

More info here:

http://dlkcollection.blogspot.com/2009/07/brett-weston-sale-levin-gallery-on-ebay.html

LA

reellis67
17-Aug-2009, 14:35
Nice. Seems a shame to break up a portfolio though. Still, had I hit the lottery I'd be overjoyed. Alas, this has not happened...

- Randy

Bill_1856
17-Aug-2009, 15:28
If I walk into a museum or gallery with a room full of great photographs, many in 16x20 or even larger sizes, if there is a Brett Weston 8x10 print hanging on the wall I can spot it from 100 feet. His craftsmanship is superb, perhaps the best of any photographer who has ever printed.
I have friends (two, actually) who feel that his work is the pinnacle of straight B&W photography, that his vision is unmatched.
But frankly, it leaves me cold.

James Olson
17-Aug-2009, 18:26
I don't have enough confidence in Ebay to buy anything like this through them.

jim

Don Dudenbostel
18-Aug-2009, 19:03
The Levin gallery is very reputable. I was in it last year and purchased a print and had him write it up as a phone order and ship to my home out of state. Everything went smooth and arrived at my home on time and packed very well. The one thing I was surprised about was how tiny his gallery is. Fabulous selection of images though.

Merg Ross
18-Aug-2009, 20:02
The Levin gallery is very reputable. I was in it last year and purchased a print and had him write it up as a phone order and ship to my home out of state. Everything went smooth and arrived at my home on time and packed very well. The one thing I was surprised about was how tiny his gallery is. Fabulous selection of images though.

I am not sure whose reputation to question, however, avoidance of sales tax to a state drowning in debt strikes me as odd behavior. Russ may not be overly pleased to read your post, or perhaps this is his standard procedure.

Eric James
18-Aug-2009, 20:17
I am not sure whose reputation to question, however, avoidance of sales tax to a state drowning in debt strikes me as odd behavior. Russ may not be overly pleased to read your post, or perhaps this is his standard procedure.

Why would someone from Tennessee be expected to pay California sales tax?

Merg Ross
18-Aug-2009, 20:28
Why would someone from Tennessee be expected to pay California sales tax?

Origin of purchase; Monterey, California

Eric James
18-Aug-2009, 20:53
Origin of purchase; Monterey, California

I see your point - CA differs from some states with its "Use Tax".

Dr Klaus Schmitt
25-Aug-2009, 00:35
Hello,

For who are interested, just now a large collection of original Brett Weston photographs are offered for sell on eBay by Levin Gallery. I am extremely happy because I bought two of them - BRETT WESTON 1971 WHARF REFLECTIONS 11X14 PHOTOGRAPH and BRETT WESTON 1955 BROKEN GLASS 11X14 PHOTOGRAPH. This will not happened every day.
The price for which you can get one, or more, can be reasonable if you make an offer to the seller.

More info here:

http://dlkcollection.blogspot.com/2009/07/brett-weston-sale-levin-gallery-on-ebay.html

LA

Congrats Leonard,

great pieces of a great photographer!

Cheers,

Drew Wiley
25-Aug-2009, 16:31
Bizarre seeing these on Ebay. I'm one of those folks who seemed to spot a small BW
print from clear across the room. He could sure print, and I regret that I didn't trade
him a couple prints when I had the chance, but my gallery contract back then wouldn't
allow barter. So Brett apparently bought a couple of my Cibas which are still allegedly hanging somewhere around Pebble Beach. But talk about the best marriage with amidol
in the history of the craft! Those prints glowed.