PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a nikkor shutter with a copal........!

vinny
15-Aug-2009, 11:44
I've got a bad nikkor/copal #0 for a nikkor lens. I've got a very new copal #0 shutter and planned to switch the shutter speed/aperture rings from the nikkor to the copal and be done with it. That part was easy but the nikkor front element and the front element from any of my nikkor lenses won't fit all the way into the copal brand shutter. I can't even get the threads engaged because the opening around the shutter is slightly smaller than the lens element. That would have been good to know ahead of time! Any suggestions that don't involve sending it to skgrimes?

thanks

vinny

Sal Santamaura
15-Aug-2009, 12:05
Usually there's an inner plastic trim ring that can be removed. Try carefully prying your newer shutter to see if its clearance can be increased that way.

You still won't be able to transfer the aperture scales; they're different on Nikon Copals than others. It'll be Grimes or an Avery label with self-applied Sharpie marks. :)

IanG
15-Aug-2009, 12:13
They should be identical, one reason Compur came up with the new sizes was because it was too costly to make shutters to fit specific lenses as they had done prior to the rimset shutters.

It's not much cost-wise to get a Copal rebuilt, a CLA in the UK means a total strip down and re-assembly.

You don't say what Nikon lens, but they have had the speeds scale moved inside so it appears at first to work the other way, but it's an illusion.

Strange but bad luck

Ian

Mark Stahlke
15-Aug-2009, 12:17
I think Sal has the right of it. Your new shutter should have a small trim ring that you can remove. Carefully.

As for transferring the scales, see this thread. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=51957&highlight=nikon+shutter)

Cheers,
Mark

Dan Fromm
15-Aug-2009, 12:23
I've got a bad nikkor/copal #0 for a nikkor lens. I've got a very new copal #0 shutter and planned to switch the shutter speed/aperture rings from the nikkor to the copal and be done with it. That part was easy but the nikkor front element and the front element from any of my nikkor lenses won't fit all the way into the copal brand shutter. I can't even get the threads engaged because the opening around the shutter is slightly smaller than the lens element. That would have been good to know ahead of time! Any suggestions that don't involve sending it to skgrimes?

thanks

vinnyUm, Vinny, I hit that problem -- length of the lens, front rim to rear rim, was longer in a Compur #00 than in the #00 OptoDynetics the cells had come from -- too. The OptoDynetics was a rebadged Ilex Electric, had no working speeds except T without the control box.

I sent both shutters and the cells to Steve Grimes. He looked at them and said "Oh. The shoulder problem," and machined the Compur to get the right cell spacing.

There's no cure but having the new shutter machined to accept the cells and space them correctly.

But why are you replacing the original shutter? Can't it be overhauled?

Cheers,

Dan

vinny
15-Aug-2009, 12:31
Sal, I transferred the scales already and it works fine. I thought the plastic ring may be removable and messed with it a bit but I'm waiting to hear back from Carol at Flutot's to confirm it's removability. I can't tell if it's one piece or two.
The nikkor shutter/lens combo was checked out by Flutot's and it's cracked internally so it can't be repaired. The aperture is messed up.

Sal Santamaura
15-Aug-2009, 14:11
Sal, I transferred the scales already and it works fine...That's surprising. Your photos above are consistent with what I've observed concerning these shutters, i.e. Nikon's version has "500" at the right and the "plain" ones have it at the left. So far, so good. However, Nikon shutters place their aperture scales on a single band that encircles the entire shutter, covering the small threaded holes which otherwise accept screws that retain two separate aperture scales. On "plain" versions, the single, blank band has clearance holes for four small screws used to attach two separate scales.

How did you manage to attach the Nikon scales to your "generic" shutter? Did you detach the cable release mechanism, remove the newer shutter's entire blank band and replace it with the marked outer Nikon band?

vinny
15-Aug-2009, 15:09
Did you detach the cable release mechanism, remove the newer shutter's entire blank band and replace it with the marked outer Nikon band?[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I did after removing the generic copals two blank aperture scales. And now that you've pointed it out, I realize that the red indicator on the shutter face doesn't coincide with the shutter speeds on the ring. Easily fixable with some black and red paint because at this point new nikkor shutters aren't available. Thanks for correcting me. Hopefully I can pop the ring apart and fit the front element in, I just don't want to damage the new shutter face.

vinny
16-Aug-2009, 17:23
Well, Carol got back to me to confirm that the ring would pop out and it did, easily. While the process of converting the shutter is tedious, I think it is the only option when a nikkor shutter can't be repaired. Thanks for the help everyone.