PDA

View Full Version : Recessed lens boards: Their effect on tilt/swing.

Lachlan 717
9-Aug-2009, 22:45
I'm considering getting a recessed LB for a 72mm XL.

However, it dawned on me in the middle of the night that, by its design, a recessed LB will affect the nodal location of the lens relative to the front standard. No longer will the tilt and/or swing be pivotal around the nodal point (assuming, of course, that I am using a camera that has this design for flat LBs).

Obviously, the greater the recess, the greater the amplification of this change and, thus, the greater the disruption to focal planes.

Ergonomic issues of recessed LBs aside, can anyone tell me if this is a significant issue?

Thanks,

Lachlan.

Alan Davenport
9-Aug-2009, 23:23
What you see on the groundglass, is what will be recorded on the film.

A recessed board may have the effect of adding a very slight rise/fall when you tilt the lens, but it will be minor. If tilting upsets your composition, then you may need to compensate with deliberate rise or fall after tilting.

spiky247
10-Aug-2009, 00:04
This is really not an issue if you use your back stand for tilt and swings.

Bob Salomon
10-Aug-2009, 07:25
This is really not an issue if you use your back stand for tilt and swings.

But then you change the image shape.

Front tilts on an on axis camera using a recessed board (slight or deep) is not a problem.

And by using front tilts and swings you do not change the image shape.

Ernest Purdum
10-Aug-2009, 13:51
I dislike recessed lensboards because they are apt to make use of flash cords and releases awkward, but not a problem where use of movements is concerned. Even flat lensboards rarely have a tilt all that close to the rear nodal point.

I do remember some time back somebody brought out a camera allowing an adjustement to adjust spot on to the rear nodal point. Apparently not enough people appreciated this feature to keep the camera on the market very long.