PDA

View Full Version : lens board for tachihara. help!

flo
7-Aug-2009, 08:37
Hello everybody,

once again..I need someone help :)

I'm having a problem with the lens baord I just bought for my tachihara..it doesn't fit..

this is the one I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370225108575&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1358wt_937

the back of the board is too big to fit the inside of the camera :(

I found another similar recessed board from Linhof, but I'm not sure if it will be very different from the one I just bought.

If any of you could help me that would be great.

thanks

P.s. on the board that I got it's written Shen Hao. is it a very different board from the linhof one?

Peter K
7-Aug-2009, 08:51
This board isn't an original Linhof lensboard because there is no tappered cone but a circular recess. Look for a board with the Linhof emblem at the top right corner.

Peter

flo
7-Aug-2009, 08:52
thank you Peter

Would that one work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150363816527&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_952

Hiro
7-Aug-2009, 09:06
Would that one work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150363816527&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_952
It will work. I have one (original linhof technika recessed lens board) and use it with my Tachihara.

flo
7-Aug-2009, 09:13
that sounds great. thank you Hiro.

I just don't understand why the other one is not working. the camera I got was sold to me as an old tachihara, I hope it will be fine..

this is how the camera look:

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/934/0878x.jpg

flo
7-Aug-2009, 09:26
I just found this:

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/36852/2821261750025874283S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm starting to think that I wasn't sold a tachihara, but a nagaoka?!?!

:(

Brian Ellis
7-Aug-2009, 10:02
that sounds great. thank you Hiro.

I just don't understand why the other one is not working. the camera I got was sold to me as an old tachihara, I hope it will be fine..

this is how the camera look:

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/934/0878x.jpg

If that's a Tachihara it's a very old one because the front doesn't look like the front of the two Tachiharas I've owned (from memory). And I'd question if it's a very old Tachihara because the one real old Tachihara I've seen had nickel plated metal parts, not brass-looking like this one and like the two Tachiharas I owned. However, I'm not an expert in Tachihara identification so possibly it's some version I've just never seen.

Hiro
7-Aug-2009, 10:08
It complicates things a little. I'm not sure about your camera's identity, but they do look quite similar. The other camera uses a wooden board. Does your camera take Linhof Technika boards, i.e. does a flat Linhof board snugly fit your camera without light leaks, rattles, shifting around, etc.? It seems so from the front standard and lens board clips. As far as the camera works, you could say "What's in a name...?" Big slides/negs would look as sweet.

Re. the original question, try your Chinese board again. If the back edge of the recess hits the top of camera opening and prevents proper fit, tapered Linhof-made recessed board should work.

Kevin Klazek
7-Aug-2009, 11:28
Flo, the camera looks like a Japanese built unit, perhaps a Nagaoka??? Measure the recessed area that the lensboard fits into in mm to determine if the board is a Linhof size. It should be around 97x99mm. If the recess of the lensboard is close to fitting, you could sand the opening in the camera a bit to allow it to fit. If it is not close to fitting, then you will have to go with a different board.

Kevin

Bill_1856
7-Aug-2009, 11:53
My Nagaoka (which looks like yours) won't take recessed Linhof lens boards. It's a PITA, since all my Technika lenses from 90-180mm are on recessed boards.
Later models have a round opening behind the lens standard and apparently will accept those boards.

Bob Salomon
7-Aug-2009, 11:55
My Nagaoka (which looks like yours) won't take recessed Linhof lens boards. It's a PITA, since all my Technika lenses from 90-180mm are on recessed boards.
Later models have a round opening behind the lens standard and apparently will accept those boards.

Why would you have a 180mm on a Technika recessed board?

Hiro
7-Aug-2009, 15:02
My Nagaoka (which looks like yours) won't take recessed Linhof lens boards.
I never imagined such was the case and stand corrected. I thought the square opening would provide as much space as the round light trap does. Then the search for a recessed board gets trickier.

Bill_1856
7-Aug-2009, 15:05
Why would you have a 180mm on a Technika recessed board?

I don't know, Bob -- it came that way. I always presumed it was so it would fit with the front door closed. (Symmar 180mm in same model Compur shutter as the 135mm Xenotar.)

Archphoto
7-Aug-2009, 15:11
The Linhof Master Technika that I had had a 150mm on a recessed board so it could stay on the camera when closed.

Peter

flo
8-Aug-2009, 09:04
thank you everyone! sorry for not answering sooner, but I'm on vacation (were I was going to start shooting with my new camera :'() and don't always have internet access.
I made some more research and red that article:
http://wetcoastscootin.blogspot.com/2009/03/spring-has-sprung-whytecliff-park-west.html
the owner of that camera actually doesn't know what is the name of the camera.
maybe a copy of the nagaoka then?
because all the nagaoka I found have a different shape on the bottom. I'm very confused. as Bill were saying it probably won't fit recessed boards..

I have tried the chinese board I have and measured it, the measurements are like a linhof board so a normal not recessed board should fit, but the back definitely isn't fitting, it seems way too big.

if anyone do reconize the camera and know if a specific board would work please let me know :)

also do you think I'd better try to get a tachihara instead? my problem is that I only have a 90mm lens now, and I'm afraid that without recessed board I will have no movements for architecture :(

thanks!!

Archphoto
8-Aug-2009, 09:18
I would just give the camera a try with the 90mm on it and see how far you get.

One thing about field camera's and their beds: the beds tend to get into the way with vertical shots.
I would be looking for a camera that has the posibility of moving the back to the front, so the bed does not get in the way.

Many of the Shen Hao's have that feature.
I have the HZH45-IIA and it is very well suited for architectural photography.

Peter

flo
9-Aug-2009, 08:28
thanks Peter.
I'm still trying to decide what to do. the previous owner was very nice and offered me to return the camera.the problem is that if I get another camera I will have to pay for shipping and taxes again (I'm based in Italy at the moment).
I may try to get a normal lens board and see first if I can get the results I need from that camera as you suggested me.
I can't wait to be able to shoot, I bought the camera for a project and I'm tired to wait to use it :)

Brian Ellis
9-Aug-2009, 15:20
thanks Peter.
I'm still trying to decide what to do. the previous owner was very nice and offered me to return the camera.the problem is that if I get another camera I will have to pay for shipping and taxes again (I'm based in Italy at the moment).
I may try to get a normal lens board and see first if I can get the results I need from that camera as you suggested me.
I can't wait to be able to shoot, I bought the camera for a project and I'm tired to wait to use it :)

Definitely give a flat board a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. Not all cameras require a recessed board with a 90mm lens. I used a 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon on my Tachiharas without a recessed lens board.