PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for using Polaroid 545 film holder

ShivaShakti
4-Aug-2009, 11:58
I bought a Polaroid 545 land film holder to help me preview the exposure.
I would like to buy some B&W and color instant film. I would like to ask some advice on instant films. What type of films are compatible and which are reccommended?
Thanks for your help.

BarryS
4-Aug-2009, 12:08
I hope you got a good deal on the holder because unfortunately, all the instant film that fits it has been discontinued. :(

Drew Wiley
4-Aug-2009, 12:12
You can use it for Fuji Quickload film, now unfortunately only available in color.

Aahx
7-Aug-2009, 13:02
Just to clarify... there are currently no poloroid films produced for the 545 backs. The Polaroid 545 back was designed for single sheet polaroid film. And that is no longer manufactured. They did there final run last year (2008) before shutting down the factorys. So none of the Fuji instant film will work in a 545 back.

Now the two sizes of Fuji instant film currently made will work on the polaroid 405 back or Fuji PA-145 (for 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" film), and Polaroid 550 back or Fuji PA-45 (for 4"x5" film) respectivly. These are both pack film varietys and not single sheet types. The packs hold 10 sheets each.

Richard Ross
7-Aug-2009, 16:36
You can still find some Polaroid film on ebay. I wish I had bought up a bunch earlier this year to resell!

As for using this holder with quickloads, save yourself the trouble and don't bother. Get the Fuji holder. It holds the film flat, unlike the polaroid holder and never jams, unlike the polaroid holder. The film plane is just about the same for the two. The issue is with the way the film is held down. The Polaroid relies on flimsy springs along the top and bottom edge which always buckle slightly and are just not strong enough to hold down sheets of 4x5 film. The Fuji holder has a spring loaded rear plate that presses the film firmly up against all four sides of the frame.

Trust me, I went down this route and wished I had gone for the Fuji holder from the start. Way too many ruined shots due to bad focus and jams.