PDA

View Full Version : Toyo or Ebony

PhotoBob
30-Jul-2009, 06:54
I've been comfortable using the Toyo 45AII and really value the rotating back.
However, the Ebony SV45U2, sounds like a really nice camera (minus the rotating back).
Any thoughts about either camera.
I suppose one could always take the back off, rotate and put back. But is there any concern about taking off and putting on and dust?
Which one is better?
Any opinions about either camera would be appreciated.
Thanks

Joanna Carter
30-Jul-2009, 08:15
I've been comfortable using the Toyo 45AII and really value the rotating back.
However, the Ebony SV45U2, sounds like a really nice camera (minus the rotating back).
Any thoughts about either camera.
I suppose one could always take the back off, rotate and put back. But is there any concern about taking off and putting on and dust?
No real problem, you get just as much dust removing and replacing a lens.

Which one is better?
Any opinions about either camera would be appreciated.
If I were you, I'd save myself a bunch of money and go for the Ebony SV45Te. The only movement it hasn't got is the asymmetric ones. I have used the SV45Te for years and never had cause to miss asymmetric movements.:p

Michael Alpert
30-Jul-2009, 10:16
You write that you are comfortable with the camera you are using. Why do you want to change?

Aender Brepsom
30-Jul-2009, 10:47
Sure, Ebonys are beautiful and capable cameras, but if your Toyo does everything you need, then why change? The Ebony won't make you a better photographer.
You may as well spend the extra money on film and traveling. Or simply save it.

Drew Wiley
30-Jul-2009, 12:16
Depends on the range of lenses you plan to work with. The Ebony is much more
versatile.

jeroldharter
30-Jul-2009, 12:37
I don't have personal experience with the Ebony but those that use them seem to fall under a spell of some sort so they must be good. But I prefer metal cameras. The Toyo is very good except for limited bellows.

If you want to spend a lot of money on a new camera with more capability than your Toyo, buy an Arca Swiss F-Line Metric with Micrometric Orbix with an SK Grimes adapter board to use your Toyo lens boards. I have one and can't imagine a better quality camera. I have seen a number of used, standard F-Line cameras for sale lately at great prices.

PhotoBob
30-Jul-2009, 15:46
I don't have it anymore :(
I shoot primarily 4x5 pinhole now, but really miss a lens camera.

Peter De Smidt
30-Jul-2009, 16:56
I own a Toyo 45AX, and I've used Ebonies. As long as it can use the lenses you'd like, I prefer the Toyo.

Jim Becia
31-Jul-2009, 06:01
I own a Toyo 45AX, and I've used Ebonies. As long as it can use the lenses you'd like, I prefer the Toyo.

I'm going to be the opposite of Peter. I've used/owned a Toyo A11 and it's a very capable camera. Built like a tank! But, I prefer the Ebony as it is lighter and handles a better range of lenses, up to a 450. But if the Toyo does the job, it's a much less expensive way to go. Jim

(Peter, nice talking with you at Sheboygan.)

Dave Jeffery
1-Aug-2009, 03:08
PM sent

Eric Brody
1-Aug-2009, 07:21
Metal cameras, I used to own a Toyo, have a very different feel from wooden ones. I always liked the more precise feel of the metal camera. Wood has a "romance" to it. You never said what you did not like about the Toyo, or what you need to do that it could not. Or do you just want a new camera? Nothing wrong with that.

Eric

Peter De Smidt
1-Aug-2009, 07:41
(Peter, nice talking with you at Sheboygan.)

Jim had IMO the best photographs at the show and was fun to talk with, as always.

In any case, I agree, if you need to use a 450mm, then the Toyo isn't the best choice. You'd have to get an extension back and perhaps a top hat lens board. It's do-able, but requires more gear to carry and fiddle with.

Jeffrey Sipress
1-Aug-2009, 08:28
They're both just a box of air that holds a lens at one end and film at the other. Besides range of length, every camera's controls have a different feel to them, and that is a personal choice. Those of us that have a more mechanical aptitude and appreciation of fine hand craftsmanship and materials probably prefer the Ebony. Others call it mystique, and wonder why we spend more for it. I am an engineer, machinist, precision craftsman, and musician. I use Ebony cameras. It just makes sense for me. I enjoy and appreciate them.

Don Dudenbostel
1-Aug-2009, 12:29
I've never user or seen a Toyo but would imagine it's a really fine camera. For thirty five years I've used Deardorff cameras in my work and liked them quite well. When taking my studio to digital ten years ago I sold my 4x5 Deardorff and now regret it. In looking for another I ran across the Ebony and found a near new SV45TE and bought it. It came with the universal bellows and IMO is a mile ahead of the Deardorff in function. Both cameras are extremely well made (my old 8x10 is a 1933? model) and do the same job but the function and quality of the Ebony is better than anything I've seen in a wood camera. IMO it compares to the quality of my original Sinar Normas that I still use after forty years. I feel Ebony took the best of the Deardorff and incorporated a ton of improvements to come up with a stellar camera.

Bill_1856
1-Aug-2009, 12:40
I thought that Ebonys are becoming passe'.

Steve Hamley
1-Aug-2009, 13:52
Why would any decent camera become passe'?

Cheers, Steve

Archphoto
1-Aug-2009, 14:11
As if a camera would be something "modisch" >fashion<

To some people, and then the ones that don't use a particular camera, a camera can appear to be outdated, >passé<
But no camera is outdated as long as you use that camera.

Wooden camera's "passé" ? I don't think so, not as long as they are used, made and sold.
Not as long as people are still building them, look at the DIY corner here with their fantastic looking and working camera's.
Even sliding-box-camera's and pinhole camera's are still being made and used, some designes dating from the early years of photography.

Peter