PDA

View Full Version : Bag to hold and protect 3 lenses with lensboard

timberline12k
29-Jul-2009, 20:12
What storage bag would you recommend to hold up to 3 lenses?

Brand, model, vendor, etc.

I have been wrapping the lenses in some soft cloth, but would like to have a rectangular bag with a zipper to better organize and protect the lenses and lensboards. I have seen some photos, but don't know where to look for them.

jeroldharter
29-Jul-2009, 20:26
Check out the PhotoBackpacker lens cases at:

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RPT&Category_Code=RPT02

Some of your choice depends on your size of lens boards. You don't mention what you are carrying the case in. If it is a larger pack or backpack, you might check out a flyfishing reel case. I use this one which is cheaper and lighter than the Orvis or Fishpond brands. It is also a perfect size to hold 6 8x10 film holders with the center partition cut out with a utility knife:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0036834120770a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=reel+case&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D:hasJS=+&N=0&_D:sort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

It is the 10 reel economy model.

Paul Metcalf
29-Jul-2009, 21:23
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0036834120770a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=reel+case&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D:hasJS=+&N=0&_D:sort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

It is the 10 reel economy model.Exactly what I use, perfect for lenses mounted in 4x4 boards, possbily even 5x5. That's a 72XL Super Angulon in the upper left, 450 Nikkor-M in a Prontor Pro3 in the bottom left, and a 4x4 lensboard adapter for my 8x10 in the upper right (5.5x5.5). Plus room for cable release and other small items. Can't beat the price.

timberline12k
30-Jul-2009, 06:36
Thanks for the reel case idea. I will check them out at the local Cabelas.

ljsegil
30-Jul-2009, 08:51
Could it take lenses on 6x6 Deardorff boards if not positioned opposite each other?
Larry

Ken Lee
30-Jul-2009, 08:58
Thanks 2x. I may be near one of these stores on a trip, and will have a look. I need something to hold all these little barrel-mounted lenses I have collected.

Paul Metcalf
30-Jul-2009, 09:47
Could it take lenses on 6x6 Deardorff boards if not positioned opposite each other?
Larry
The central divider (runs width-wise) is sew in place and would limit depth-wise oriented boards to 5" max and I think the height of the bag is about 5.5". It does have a fair amount of flex throughout so I guess it's possible but might jeopardize the boards if something got stacked on it (I wouldn't risk it).

Paul Metcalf
30-Jul-2009, 09:52
Thanks 2x. I may be near one of these stores on a trip, and will have a look. I need something to hold all these little barrel-mounted lenses I have collected.I use a universal lens clamp with my barrel lenses (so no boards), and most are pretty small. It comes with 8 dividers (velcro) so if you have a supply of little dividers (who doesn't?) you could add more. I think my lenses might roll around a bit so I'm thinking of this - an issue would be opening it when not level and having the lenses tumble out, though:eek:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012121014846a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=plano+case&sort=all&Go.y=11&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=21&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Ken Lee
30-Jul-2009, 10:09
an issue would be opening it when not level and having the lenses tumble out, though

If you get one of these cases, you could always place it inside your "real" case - whatever holds the light meter, dark cloth, film holders, etc.

For some of us, the "real" case is simply a cheap beer cooler. Because these cheapo beer coolers tend to break, it may soon become necessary to splurge and get a real beer cooler (http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/) - for around the same price as the Cabela reel case.

venchka
30-Jul-2009, 10:32
Something other than beer in a beer cooler? Imagine that.

Back on topic: The Fishpond Sweetwater Large fly reel case holds the following:
1 Nikkor 180/5.6-Copal 1
1 Fujinon 125/5.6-Copal 0
1 Tominon 105mm/5.6-Copal 1
All on 4x4 Zone VI boards. A bit of room left over for a filter or 2.

Paul Metcalf
30-Jul-2009, 12:03
Something other than beer in a beer cooler? Imagine that (1).

Back on topic: The Fishpond Sweetwater (2)Large fly reel case holds the following:

(1) Can't.
(2) Those are the best, especially if you can find one on sale. I couldn't and I'm a tightwad.

I do a lot of photograhing via my 4-wheeler (local stuff) so my camera gear sans lenses goes in my f64 backpack, lenses go in the cabelas bag, and both bags go in my water/air tight hard case (which I got for a song at a closeout sale) which goes on the back rack on my ATV. Tripod is up front with cooler that has film holders (and refreshments). If need to move around a bit on foot I throw a couple of expectant lenses and film holders (and refreshment!) in the f64 backpack and I'm foot-mobile. So far no issue with leaving anything at the ATV 'cause around here it's common knowledge that folks are armed:cool:

jeroldharter
30-Jul-2009, 15:07
Larry

I don't think so.

You might check out the extra large size rather than the economy size. It is 8 inches deep but that might be too deep and it has a big pouch on the front of the case.

If you are interested, I have some large size Photobackpacker lens cases:

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RPT&Product_Code=L4066&Category_Code=RPT02

I think that is the model I have. I have 3 of them.