PDA

View Full Version : type of camera

madmax12
29-Jul-2009, 17:24
:) I have found this field camera but I cannot find much info on it 4x5 Folding Nagaoka Seisakusho It looks beautiful but would like more info any help would greatly appreciated thanx

ki6mf
29-Jul-2009, 19:56
I think it is an Osaka. I also think this type of camera goes by a few differient names in Japan. It resembles a Takahara.

Try this web site for Osaka (Japan) www.bromwellmarketing.com/osaka.htm

Bill_1856
29-Jul-2009, 20:02
Nagaoka is the same as Anba Ikeda. Check the LF Home page for information. It is a beautiful, very lightweight 4x5 which takes Linhof Technika lens boards. Used, they seem to go for $400-600. I understand they are still in business in Japan, but not imported. I've owned one since the '70s and it is quite nice.

Ernest Purdum
30-Jul-2009, 10:06
The camera might be an older example, older than 1970 or so. If this is the case, there are several factors you should be aware of:

Originally, these cameras had a "turntable" built into the bed. Individual tripod legs were attached to this. An adapter is needed to place the camera on a modern tripod. Use of the individual legs is not a very good idea. While light and compact, it is too easy to kick a leg out and bring everything crashing down.

The original arrangement for the groundglasses of these cameras was that they folded up over the bellows when inserting the plateholder, a "bookform double dark slide". These holders do not interchange with similar items from other makers, let alone modern holders.

The camera might be a 1/2 plate or 1/4 plate size. If so, film selection can be limited.

Many had rather small lensboards, to the point of limiting lens selection.

If the camera is a later version, none of the above applies.

Dennis
30-Jul-2009, 10:54
I think.. don't quote me on this.. there was a very skilled camera maker in Japan making these Nagaokas. I seem to remember that they were available in Oregon in the 1980s. The camera brand never was able to compete with Tachihara and Wista, which were the same camera in those days. In the mid 1980s this camera maker by the name of Nagaoka produced another hand made camera called a TOKO. It was a wooden field camera like a Wista only with 14 inch bellows and sliding back and rear focus as well as front focus. I know about that camera because I bought one and use it to this day. I am certain at the time I was told it was hand made by Mr Nagaoka. It is a great camera and allowed me to do commercial table top work with a wood field camera.
Dennis

William McEwen
30-Jul-2009, 11:55
Robert Adams used a 4x5 Nagaoka for a lot of his landscape photos.

(He's been using a Nikon 35mm camera and Tri-X for the last 10 years, though...)