PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix August Shipment

robertmgray
29-Jul-2009, 09:49
Hey, I've just gotten word from Hugo that the latest batch of 45n-1's are close and I was curious if many of you are on the same waiting list. This will be my first large format camera but I've always been immensely impressed with the photos I see on this forum and look forward to contributing to it.

Steve Hamley
29-Jul-2009, 11:43
Welcome Robert!

Cheers, Steve

timberline12k
29-Jul-2009, 12:25
Robert,

I just purchased my first LF camera, also a Chamonix, and it seems to be a good camera to learn on.

I just took my first photos and posted them here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=51512

Good luck with your new camera, I think you made a good choice.

robertmgray
29-Jul-2009, 21:39
Thanks Steve, I appreciate it!

Thanks timberline, I hope to gain in knowledge as you do in terms of using the large format, although, the photos indicate you're ahead of me. I was wondering, how do you like your 90 when shooting landscape? I was going to get a 120mm to start off with, maybe after that get something wider or longer depending on what suits me.

timberline12k
30-Jul-2009, 06:30
Robert,

I purchased both a 90mm and 210mm to help determine which end of the spectrum I prefer. I was originally considering a 150mm, but one bit of advice I received suggested it could be either too long or too short for landscape. That is when I decided to start with two bookends. I also thought the 90mm f/4.5 would come in handy for interior architecture shots.

The photos you saw were my first try at LF. Between those I would probably lean toward the 90mm results, but I have an idea for another shoot that will probably be better for the 210mm.

I was also unsure whether to purchase a 4X5 or 5X7, but I finally decided to go with the 4X5 because it seems more popular. The two lenses I purchased will work with 5X7 if I ever make the switch.

I have to take a lot more LF photos to get a better idea what will meet my needs best. I had to ask a lot of questions on this forum before I felt comfortable picking up LF as a hobby. I even had one comment that referenced my "endless queries about what to buy", but I would ask as many questions as you need to become comfortable.

My main reason for taking the LF plunge is that I think it will help me become a better photographer, even with my D700. Large Format makes you think about the composition more.

My timeline had to be extended to become familar with LF because of other priorities, so I anticipate your knowledge will quickly pass me.

Good luck on your venture!

robertmgray
30-Jul-2009, 08:05
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards a wide lens which is why I'm choosing the 120mm. I don't plan on going into mountain ranges anytime soon, so I think I'm safer with a wide lens.