PDA

View Full Version : New to LF recomendations for lenses?

redleaf
26-Jul-2009, 16:57
I am looking at purchasing a Toyo 45CF or 45AX, I am just not sure which lens would be best for the type of work I do, which is mainly portrait and wedding photography. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am not sure which lens board I should get for the Toyo setup.

Thanks so much!

Richard
www.redleafstudios.ca
www.redleafblog.com

Archphoto
26-Jul-2009, 17:38
If it helps: if you are used to 35mm, the factor between 4x5 and 35mm is 3: so a 50mm on 35mm will give you the same view as a 150mm on 4x5 inch.

For portraits you would use anything between 70 and 100mm on 35mm so between 210 and 300mm on 4x5.
For what you want I would be looking at 240/250mm, it gives you a nice perspective.
And there is so much choise, from Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon, Fuji and others.......

I love the 250mm Imagon for portraits, it is a variable soft-focus lens, from dreamy to sharp and contrasty, a lens to look at once you are settled into "regular" 4x5 portraits.

As for the lens board: one that fits obviously, forgive me I don't understand that part of your question.
The size of the hole will depend on the lens/shutter you buy: so first the lens with shutter and than the propper lens board with the propper hole.

Peter

Ron Marshall
26-Jul-2009, 17:52
If you will be shooting groups of people at a wedding something in the range of 90 to 120 is useful. For portraits what Peter said.

Depends how many lenses you want to carry and what you will be shooting. You could go 90-150-240 or just a 90 and 240.

Gem Singer
26-Jul-2009, 17:56
The Toyo 45CF and AX cameras take the Toyo Field lens board, not the Toyo View board.

There are several previously owned Toyo Field lens boards listed on the KEH website.

redleaf
26-Jul-2009, 23:45
Thanks everyone for your quick reply's! Peter sorry I am new to LF and did not know if there are specific boards to get. Do all large format lenses they list, for instance on Bhphoto fit these cameras, or do I need a specific lens type?

Thanks!
Richard

Archphoto
27-Jul-2009, 00:15
Normaly each shutter has it's own size hole.
We speak of a Copal/Compur 0, 1 and 3, 3 being the largest.
In my recollection a 240mm will be fitted into a nr 1 shutter that fits most board sizes, you just need the Toyo Field board with a nr 1 hole in it.

The only lenses (with shutters) that will not fit your camera are the 210W and the 210 Super Angulon, both expensive, large and used for 5x7 and 8x10 formats.

If you have a specific lens you might want to get, you can post a link here and we can advice you further.

Peter

Steve Hamley
27-Jul-2009, 07:38
In general all lenses fit all cameras, but there are obvious limitations. While LF lenses are not unique to a given camera like small and many medium formats, the lens boards are.

You have to have the right lens board(s) for you camera, and as Peter noted, the hole in the lens board has to be the correct size for the lens barrel or shutter. The common sizes are as Peter also noted, Compur/Copal #0, 1, and 3. Lens boards are available from many sources pre-drilled for these 3 sizes. A Compur #00 and Compur #2 size existed but lenses in #2 shutters are relatively uncommon.

Now you can, with the right machine work, fit a 35mm lens to your 4x5 and you will get small circular images on your film, but you can do it. You can also buy lenses which are too large to fit on most small lens board cameras, either because the diameter is too large (larger than the lens board) or the rear cell is too large to fit through the front standard of the camera. Field and press cameras typically use small lens boards, about 4"x4", and studio cameras and larger formats use larger boards, up to 9"x9".

Cheers, Steve

Fred Leif
27-Jul-2009, 07:50
A point I may have missed among the replies ... but for changing lenses ... it is convenient to have each of your lenses mounted in its own lens board. While two lenses may fit the same board, changing lenses in a board isn't something you want to plan to be doing in the field.

redleaf
27-Jul-2009, 09:15
Thank you again everyone, I am really blown away by this forums generosity.

I have heard/read some bad reviews on the build of the CF, so I might try and find a used AX or AII.

jnantz
27-Jul-2009, 09:32
Thank you again everyone, I am really blown away by this forums generosity.

I have heard/read some bad reviews on the build of the CF, so I might try and find a used AX or AII.

if you don't need the technical part of the ax or aii, you might
consider buying a speed or crown graphic. the speed/crowns
are what the toyos are based on ( kind of sort of ) and if you are
making portraits they work well for that sort of thing
( where you don't need many camera movements ) besides
if you have a speed graphic you can experiment with brass and other
types of lenses, and use the focal plane shutter that is built into the camera ...
(speed graphics can take from a 65mm lens to a 15" telephoto, i use a 10" veritar on mine (its not a telephoto ) )

Gem Singer
27-Jul-2009, 10:44
The Toyo 45AII and 45AX are identical. They are metal flatbed folding field cameras.

The 45All is equipped with a rotating back and a folding focusing hood. This amounts to approx. $600 worth of additional features. If desired, one or both of those accessories can be added to the 45AX at a later date.

The conventional 3-lens combination that works best with these cameras is a 90, 150, and a 210.

They are capable of focusing a 75 using a recessed lens board, a 300 with the standard bellows, and rear extension boxes are available to lengthen them and enable them to take longer lenses.

Each lens should be mounted on it's own lens board.

Good deals on pre-owned Toyo A's can be found at Midwest Photo, KEH, or here on this forum.

redleaf
27-Jul-2009, 12:53
Thanks Gem,

I unfortunately have not been a member long enough to see the classifieds here. If anyone has a 45Ax for sale I would love to know.

Cheers
Richard

Gem Singer
27-Jul-2009, 13:08
Hi Richard,

Look at www.keh.com

Click in "camera store".

Click on "large format".

Click on "folding cameras".

On page 2 of that category, you will see 4 or 5 Toyo A's listed.

If you don't see one you like, at least you'll get an idea of what's available in the used market place.

I have owned an AII, an AX, and I still own a Toyo monorail. They are great cameras.

Best of luck with your search.

redleaf
27-Jul-2009, 13:11
Thanks Gem!

redleaf
27-Jul-2009, 16:15
So I am now looking at the AX, and this is the lens I am considering:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800626338-USE/Rodenstock_160204_210mm_F6_8_Geronar_Copal.html

and this lens board as I cannot find a toyo one on Bh

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/67564-REG/Bromwell_1451_110_x_110mm_Lensboard.html

Gem Singer
27-Jul-2009, 16:49
Richard,

There is no need to purchase brand new lenses. Even though it seems reasonably priced, that particular lens is not a bargain. You can do much better.

The Bromwell Toyo field-type lens boards are over priced. Genuine Toyo boards are available for less, if you know where to buy them.

If you contact me personally, I believe I can save you time and money.

Email gemsinger at att dot net.