PDA

View Full Version : Ansel Adams: Early Works

al olson
19-Jul-2009, 15:15
I just learned of this exhibit, Ansel Adams: Early Works, which is running from June 15 through August 15.

It is located in the Farmington (NM) Museum at 3041 East Main Street. (505-599-1174)

The ad for this exhibit has a photo of Adams standing atop his "woodie".

I wanted to let people know in case anyone has reason to be in the Farmington, NM, area this summer. I plan on stopping by on the way back from the PhotoArts Santa Fe 2009.

Donald Miller
19-Jul-2009, 15:29
I just learned of this exhibit, Ansel Adams: Early Works, which is running from June 15 through August 15.

It is located in the Farmington (NM) Museum at 3041 East Main Street. (505-599-1174)

I wanted to let people know in case anyone has reason to be in the Farmington, NM, area this summer. I plan on stopping by on the way back from the PhotoArts Santa Fe 2009.

Thanks Al for the heads up on this. I am particularly heartened that the mid section of the country seems to increasingly accept photography for what it is.

Don7x17
19-Jul-2009, 15:53
Traveling exhibit --
now to Aug 15:
Farmington Museum, NM

September, 2009 – January 4, 2010
San Jose Museum of Art

March-April 2009
Art League of Bonita Springs, FL

May-July, 2010
Museum of Contemporary Art at Hot Springs, AR

August 27- October 17, 2010
Suzanne H. Arnold Art Gallery at Lebanon Valley College, PA

November 5, 2010 - January 5, 2011
Kimball Art Center, Park City, Utah

Mark Woods
19-Jul-2009, 16:08
Thanks Don. I have a friend who place I can stay in San Jose.

MW

Jim Cole
20-Jul-2009, 08:57
Al,

Thanks for the heads up. My wife and I will be in the San Francisco/Monterey area in September. This is now on our list of things to do.

Jim

al olson
20-Jul-2009, 10:42
You're welcome, Jim, but you have to credit Don for the traveling exhibit schedule.

I hope you are already aware that the Adams/O'Keefe exhibit is in SF until September 7 and the Avedon exhibit will be there until November 29.

Keith S. Walklet
20-Jul-2009, 11:06
That is a wonderful exhibit. It was most recently in Boise where it set the bar for attendance. It was heartening to see so many people turn out.

Of all the exhibits I've seen of his work, this was my favorite. Mostly small, intimate, contact prints of his most well-known works with some surprises. It also includes the earliest known print of "Clearing Storm."

Jim Cole
20-Jul-2009, 12:33
You're welcome, Jim, but you have to credit Don for the traveling exhibit schedule.

Oops, you're right...I forgot to include Don in the "thanks"

Thanks, Don. I didn't even realize that your post is where I picked up the San Jose schedule. Just another "senior moment".

I hope you are already aware that the Adams/O'Keefe exhibit is in SF until September 7 and the Avedon exhibit will be there until November 29.

No I wasn't. I'll google it up and try to make them as well.

Thanks,
Jim

iozone
20-Jul-2009, 15:30
That is a wonderful exhibit. It was most recently in Boise where it set the bar for attendance. It was heartening to see so many people turn out.

Of all the exhibits I've seen of his work, this was my favorite. Mostly small, intimate, contact prints of his most well-known works with some surprises. It also includes the earliest known print of "Clearing Storm."

Yep, this show was in Longview,TX last year. It appeared to my inexperienced eye to be mostly whole plate contact prints (I didn't measure and was unfamiliar with whole plate at the time, but they appeared somewhat larger than 5x7). The earliest print was 1923 I believe. Outstanding... I thought they were better than shows of his enlarged work I have seen.

Jim Cole
9-Sep-2009, 07:33
I just visited the "Early Works" exhibit in San Jose yesterday with my wife. This is really the first time that I was capable of appreciating his printing. About 8 of the prints stopped me for many minutes each. All were small prints (5x7, 8x10 and maybe a half-plate) except for one 16x20 enlargement to show for comparison. This exhibit shows the transition from his early, softer, warmer work to his sharper, contrastier, cooler work he started in the f64 group.

They showed the first known print of "Storm - Yosemite Valley". Just stunning is all I can say. I think I went back to this print at least 10 times. Then there's "Aspens"...

If you get a chance, don't miss it.

William McEwen
9-Sep-2009, 09:27

I didn't think this was physically possible.

Brian Ellis
9-Sep-2009, 14:10
Just in case anyone is interested in Adams' early work but can't get to any of these exhibits, there's quite a few photographs from the period 1920 -1935 or so in John Szarkowski's book "Ansel Adams at 100." Plus you get Szarkowski's writing which is worth the price of the book by itself.

Darin Boville
9-Sep-2009, 22:27
I didn't think this was physically possible.

You then have obviously not seen Ansel's woodie. :)

--Darin

Duane Polcou
9-Sep-2009, 23:07
First Brett Weston's work is in New Hampshire, now Ansel's show is coming to Labanon, Pa. FINALLY I get to see some of these works without having to buy an airline ticket. Thank you for posting this.