PDA

View Full Version : Shooting LF in San Francisco and New York

Giovanni Peretti
19-Jul-2009, 00:09
Hi everybody,
I`m in the States for my honeymoon.
We are three, actually: my wife, my 4x5" camera and me.
Next week we`ll be in San Francisco, then fly to Maine and drive down to New York (where we`ll spend a week).
Here`s my question: are there any particular restrictions on taking pictures with a tripod in public places, in SF or NY? I mean, for example in Italy you cannot use tripods into railway stations... Any similar silly rules in SF or NY? Anything I should know?
Many thanks in advance!
Giovanni

p.s. Just been in the Death Valley: what a great place! if only survival time under a dark cloth was more than 2 seconds, over there...

Drew Wiley
19-Jul-2009, 09:42
I'm not aware of any restrictions per se. On busy sidewalks in some neighborhoods
like Chinatown it would be quite difficult not to have your gear bashed unless you
were working early morning or at night. And sometimes you get someone lecturing
you not to do this or that. But around the Presidio, Park areas, or Beach you should
have no problem. Don't forget to cross the Golden Gate bridge to the Marin headlands - once you get past the usual crunch or Bridge photograhers you'll have
some elbow room.

Giovanni Peretti
19-Jul-2009, 10:25
Thank you Drew,
I appreciate that.

Louie Powell
19-Jul-2009, 11:22
Giovanni -

First - congratulations on your marriage, and on finding a wife who would allow you to take your LF camera along on your honeymoon.

OK - I live in New York, and I was photographing in San Francisco last week with my 4x5 camera. The bottom line is that there generally aren't a lot of restrictions, and those that are pertain mainly to the concern that the tripod could create a hazard for folks walking around you as your are photographing.

I photographed extensively at Fort Point with my 4x5 two weeks ago today - a few tourists were surprised to see that camera, but it didn't seem to be at all unusual for the folks who actually work at the Fort. Likewise at Point Lobos State Reserve a few days later, and also in the Carmel Mission.

I have also done some street photography in both San Francisco and Boston using the large camera with no restrictions. In fact, I would have to say that rather than being restrained by prohibitions on the use of a tripod, I was more self-restrained out of concern that someone might knock over my tripod.

In New York City, there are restrictions on the use of a tripod on sidewalks - again, the concern is that the sidewalks are very congested. But that's as much a matter of common sense as it is regulation. If you are in a public park (Central Park, Union Square, Washington Square) and step off into the grass (provided you don't step into an areas that fenced off to protect the grass), I don't think anyone will bother you.

You will occasionally find places that have no-tripod rules. Usually (but not always) those rules are posted on the web site. Many museums forbid tripods, and not far from where I am, Fort Ticonderoga doesn't allow tripods. Do a little advance research, and then follow the rules. Any by the way, it doesn't hurt to ask - we visited Filoli (just south of San Francisco) a couple of years ago, and I had seen a notice on their web site that tripods weren't allowed. But my wife wasn't satisfied, and asked - and it turns out they had changed their rules. In fact, the change was so recent that some of their staff didn't even know about the change.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Pete Roody
19-Jul-2009, 12:24
in nyc:

there is plenty to shoot in nyc. some places are less crowded and easier to shoot on weekends. for instance: downtown (wall street canyons), midtown (flat iron building, empire state building), and dumbo in brooklyn (between manhattan and brooklyn bridges).

other places are less crowded and easier to shoot during the week: central park and coney island.

any of the places i mentioned can be gotten to using mass transportation. if you have a car, you can explore areas outside of manhattan.

don't worry about using a tripod. it is usually not a problem.

Eric Woodbury
19-Jul-2009, 15:46
I have had no problems in SF except in the plaza of one building. I had moved off the sidewalk onto the building property and I was quickly asked to move off their property and onto the sidewalk. No biggie. Lots of buildings to go around.

Sunday morning in the biz district and you have it to your self. Have fun.

Brian Vuillemenot
19-Jul-2009, 19:35
I've never had any problems shooting LF in SF, but I usually shoot at dusk/early night when the light is right. I recommend shooting off the end of the many piers on the east side of the city (NOT Peir 39, which is a tourist trap, but Peir 29 or something like that) for a view of the skyline and interesting architecture. On top of Twin Peaks is another great spot to get a panoramic night shot of not just the city, but the bay and looking off into Oakland as well. And to shoot the GG bridge, the Marin Headlands on the north side of the bridge has some great sites to photgraph from.

I did have a friend who tried to set up his Hassleblad at the base of the Trans-America building and was hassled by rent-a-cop not to take pictures, but that's never happened to me. I've taken plenty of shots of that building (SF's tallest and most famous, that is an elongated 4-sided pyramid that tapers to a point), just from farther away.

Hi everybody,

p.s. Just been in the Death Valley: what a great place! if only survival time under a dark cloth was more than 2 seconds, over there...

Survival time is considerable longer in the Fall/Winter or early Spring. I usually go the week between Christmas and New Year's- the weather and lighting conditions are ideal- a fantastic way to end the year. Trying to shoot an LF camera in Death Valley in July or August may well be suicidal...

Giovanni Peretti
19-Jul-2009, 22:22
Thanks guys!
Louie, actually I didn`t tell my wife about the view camera, it was my little surprise. She`s so patient anyway, she doesn`t mind waiting for my polaroids to develop even in the Death Valley (developing time is VERY short over there, anyway).
Pete, Eric, thanks for the tips. Notes taken! In fact I`d love to take some night photography, maybe in the Big Sur. We`ll see.
Brian, thank you too. Jokes apart, I HAVE taken some LF photos in the Death Valley. After focusing under the dark cloth I looked like the Elephant Man.

Frank Petronio
20-Jul-2009, 04:25
Good luck combining your photography with your honeymoon. That is probably a larger challenge than using the tripod.

GPS
20-Jul-2009, 04:30
Hi everybody,
I`m in the States for my honeymoon.
We are three, actually: my wife, my 4x5" camera and me.

Louie, actually I didn`t tell my wife about the view camera, it was my little surprise.

Hmm. Happy honeymoon...!:rolleyes:

Pete Roody
20-Jul-2009, 07:39
one place in nyc that i haven't shot yet but really want to is atop the high line park. this park just opened. the park was built atop the old high line rail bridge that runs along the west side of manhattan (chelsea). you will be better off shooting on weekdays because they limit the number of visitors and i have heard there are lines to get on the bridge during weekends. i am waiting to take a day off from work to go on a weekday. they do allow photography and you don't need a permit according to their website. i would say it would be best to visit it as early as possible on a weekday if you want to use a tripod.

http://www.thehighline.org/news/2009/06/19/things-to-know-before-you-visit-the-high-line-%E2%80%94-updated-access-information

GPS
20-Jul-2009, 09:04
Giovanni -

In New York City, there are restrictions on the use of a tripod on sidewalks - again, the concern is that the sidewalks are very congested. But that's as much a matter of common sense as it is regulation. If you are in a public park (Central Park, Union Square, Washington Square) and step off into the grass (provided you don't step into an areas that fenced off to protect the grass), I don't think anyone will bother you.

Louie,
I'm afraid Giovanni didn't get it. In NYC you absolutely need (it's a law!) a city permission for use of a tripod on streets. Whenever I saw an ignorant photographer or a tourist to put his tripod on the street I stayed there to see how long it will take for him to be approached by a cop to ask the usual -"do you have a permission..?". I was always amazed to see that the guys never had the time to even finish to put the tripod there and here it went - a friendly cop with no understanding for an exeption...:)

Pete Roody
20-Jul-2009, 09:22
you are not required to have a permit to use a tripod on nyc streets. see:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_rules_QA_final.pdf

Louie,
I'm afraid Giovanni didn't get it. In NYC you absolutely need (it's a law!) a city permission for use of a tripod on streets. Whenever I saw an ignorant photographer or a tourist to put his tripod on the street I stayed there to see how long it will take for him to be approached by a cop to ask the usual -"do you have a permission..?". I was always amazed to see that the guys never had the time to even finish to put the tripod there and here it went - a friendly cop with no understanding for an exeption...:)

GPS
20-Jul-2009, 10:07
you are not required to have a permit to use a tripod on nyc streets. see:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_rules_QA_final.pdf

New rules, thanks Pete! I knew it was discussed some time ago. Unfortunately, it's not as free as you say. You need the permit if you obstruct at least a part of 8 feet of a free sidewalk area. Which is often the case in downtown NY.

brianam
20-Jul-2009, 11:34
If you're in San Francisco already, welcome to our foggy summer! Hope you brought a jacket. ;-) I second the recommendations of financial district on a Sunday morning, perhaps the piers, and GG Park, and also recommend the Presidio (fog can be fun/useful over there) and maybe also Fort Mason.

Also of course the wonderful nature areas we have within a short drive, like the redwoods (you might avoid Muir Woods, too crowded, and there are other places), Marin Headlands, Mt. Tam, Point Reyes, etc.

enjoy!

Louie Powell
20-Jul-2009, 11:49
If you're in San Francisco already, welcome to our foggy summer! Hope you brought a jacket. ;-) I second the recommendations of financial district on a Sunday morning

enjoy!

While I very much agree with Brian, this may not help Giovanni. Remember, he has his wife with him, and they are newlyweds, so early mornings will be a challenge - - -:)

Giovanni Peretti
24-Jul-2009, 00:44
Thanks again, guys.
Pete, GPS, Brian, Louie...
I`m in San Francisco, finally!
Lucky me I brought a jacket: IT`S COLD!
Since I`ve been carrying my photo backpack up and down the Yosemite Park, I`m teased by the idea of shooting mostly polaroids, here. With my 195 Land, I mean, not 4x5".
I`d better know a little bit more of the city, to decide.
We`ll see tomorrow.
Anyway, as Louie says, I`m afraid "early morning" will not be an option...
There`s my wife too, with us, after all.
ciao!

Giovanni Peretti
24-Jul-2009, 21:50
Hi there,
today we`ve walked a lot. San Francisco is amazing.
I`ve decided that tomorrow evening-night (let`s say between 20:30-22) I`ll be shooting some night pictures in California St. (from the Ferry Plaza up to Mason St., where my hotel is located).
It would impossible to bring my backpack with me everyday, but I can`t go back to Italy without taking 4-5 pictures here...
Bye and thaks again everybody!
Giovanni

mhanc
27-Jul-2009, 03:54
one place in nyc that i haven't shot yet but really want to is atop the high line park. this park just opened. the park was built atop the old high line rail bridge that runs along the west side of manhattan (chelsea). you will be better off shooting on weekdays because they limit the number of visitors and i have heard there are lines to get on the bridge during weekends. i am waiting to take a day off from work to go on a weekday. they do allow photography and you don't need a permit according to their website. i would say it would be best to visit it as early as possible on a weekday if you want to use a tripod.

http://www.thehighline.org/news/2009/06/19/things-to-know-before-you-visit-the-high-line-%E2%80%94-updated-access-information

I have recently shot in the High Line Park. I was there on a Sunday about 7 pm and it was very crowded. Nonetheless, I was able to use a tripod without any problems. I just set it up off to the side of the pathway. I would say that the views off the elevated railway are quite limited with buildings in the way pretty mcuh everywhere. So one has to be creative if urban landscapes are the goal. In any event, one can combine it with a trip to Greenwich Village which offers countless photographic subjects. I usually go early on a weekend morning and pretty much have the place to myself - no problem setting up a tripod anywhere. Enjoy your wedding trip!