PDA

View Full Version : Luna Pro Sbc Dead??

JOSEPH ANDERSON
18-Jul-2009, 10:02
Hi All,
Has Any Of You Had Success In Having A Luna Pro Sbc Repaired. My Older One Just Stopped Working.the Battery Test Button Will Move Needle To Test Zone.so The Needle Can Move. When The Reading Button Is Used Needle Falls To Under Ex No Matter What The Light Condition Is.i Have A Newer Sbc And Some Attachments. I Haven't Used Any Other Meters Years (25+) So I'd Like To See If It Can Be Brought Back From The Dead. Thanks For Any Help You May Give Me.
Joe A

Peter K
18-Jul-2009, 10:28
You can ask Gossen (http://www.gossen-photo.de/english/text_kontakt.html) for the next service workshop. I don't think DIY repair is a good idea because an uncalibrated lightmeter isn't helpful at all.

Peter

Steve Hamley
18-Jul-2009, 10:39
As cheap as you can get good used ones, why not just get a replacement?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productList&Q=20969&A=buyUsed

Cheers, Steve

iamjanco
18-Jul-2009, 10:55
I'm going to ask what might be interpreted as really stupid question: did you try changing the battery? I had an SBC way back in the '80s that I seem to recall did the same thing. Changing the battery fixed it.

JOSEPH ANDERSON
18-Jul-2009, 17:22
Thanks All, Your Correct Peter This Is Not A Diy Job. Jan It's Not A Stupid Question. I Did Stupid Things Like That, But Not This Time. I Just Found The Manual. Bogen Photo Corp.still Service These Meters. Their Only 20 Mins From Me. Steves Point Well Taken I'll Check Out A Used One. You Can Never Have To Many Meters.
Thanks Again All Joe A

jnantz
18-Jul-2009, 18:09
the one i use had that same problem back in teh late 80s.
i sent it to bogen and they fixed it, and the meter has been
working perfectly since. while it was in the shop, since i was meterless
i bought a seconic and use that too. it took a few months for the repair back then
not sure what the time frame is nowadays ...

good luck!

john

aduncanson
18-Jul-2009, 23:46
I had great results having these folks repair a Weston Master V of mine.

Quality Light Metric Co.
7095 Hollywood Blvd # 550
Los Angeles, CA 90028-8912
(323) 467-2265‎

mikebarger
19-Jul-2009, 06:15
Quality Light Metric did a nice job on my SBC

Mike

JOSEPH ANDERSON
19-Jul-2009, 07:36
Thanks To All For Your Input.i'm Going To Look For A Used One. But I Still Might Send This One Off Th Bogen. I Do Have Another Sbc, But It Was Scary How This One Died. Working One Minute And Then Nothing. I Guess Thats How These Things Fail.
Thanks All Joe A

Howard Tanger
19-Jul-2009, 11:43
... But I Still Might Send This One Off Th Bogen....
Thanks All Joe A

Hi Joe: "The" place to use is Quality Light Metric in Los Angeles. Lots of experience and a good reputation. Howard

Kevin Crisp
20-Jul-2009, 07:54
Third or fourth recommendation for Quality Light Metric.

sultanofcognac
20-Jul-2009, 11:15
Great thread folks - I have a Profisix SBC (the original German version) that's been going for 20 years or more. I picked up a Luna-Pro (with only ASA numbers) about six years ago and it's actually never worked. It's been sitting on the shelf because the Profisix hasn't failed me yet.

Maybe now it's time to send the Luna away for repairs before the Profi goes out.

Cheers,

Johnny

Peter K
20-Jul-2009, 12:05
Great thread folks - I have a Profisix SBC (the original German version) that's been going for 20 years or more. I picked up a Luna-Pro (with only ASA numbers) about six years ago and it's actually never worked. It's been sitting on the shelf because the Profisix hasn't failed me yet.
If your Luna-Pro is in a grey casing it cannot used anymore because the "PX13" mercury cells aren't aviable.

venchka
20-Jul-2009, 14:39
The zinc-air Wein cells work just fine in my Luna-Pro. If and when I use up my stash of PX13 cells.

BrianShaw
20-Jul-2009, 14:41
... or one can buy an adapter and use silver cells. The old gray LunaPors are still quite usable!

venchka
20-Jul-2009, 14:46
Whatever floats your boat or makes your needle swing. :D

Seems like we've been down this road before. For a very few dollars more than the cost of the adapter I purchased a Luna-Pro sbc in a case in hardly used condition.

I don't know much but I know for a fact that the Luna-Pro sbc will give a light reading inside a tunnel in London at midnight in the fog. My Luna-Pro cds couldn't keep up.

Futzing about with Luna-Pros that need repairs or battery adapters or xinc-air batteries is false economy.

In my book.

YMMV.

BrianShaw
20-Jul-2009, 16:23
Whatever floats your boat or makes your needle swing. :D

Seems like we've been down this road before.

Yes, I know. So I'll just agree with you: whatever. :p

venchka
21-Jul-2009, 05:17
I still keep my Luna-Pro in reserve. Alongside my Weston Master V :D

Old habits die hard. ;)

Kirk Fry
21-Jul-2009, 22:42
"I had great results having these folks repair a Weston Master V of mine.

Quality Light Metric Co.
7095 Hollywood Blvd # 550
Los Angeles, CA 90028-8912
(323) 467-2265‎"

Me too. On a Pentax V analog.