PDA

View Full Version : Help buying x ray film

eddie
13-Jul-2009, 05:58
hey all,

i am going to buy some x ray film to use in my 11x14 camera. a few questions.

i shoot wet plate collodion, which is blue light sensitive. should i get the blue x ray film? will i get similar results to my WPC stuff? if so which one? 1/2 speed or full speed?

what about the green? that is ortho stuff right?

which is better IYO? any times and temps for the blue stuff? i got info on the green from a friend.

thanks.

eddie

ps. what about the x ray fixer. same stuff? much cheaper as well. the msds data is a bit different that kodak fixer. worth it?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
13-Jul-2009, 09:22
Eddie,

I use the CXS (aka Konica or Physicians' Choice) green. I recently tried the blue, and wasn't particularly happy with it. Others will probably disagree. I just didn't find it particularly pleasant--I found the tones rather "empty"--nothing like the full tonal rendition of WP. While the green has its problems and I find the tonality to be lacking at times, I do find it easier to use than the blue. The color/tone renditions between blue sensitive xray and WP are noticeably different, I am not exactly sure why. Anyhow, the artifacts of WP create something which other blue sensitive/color blind films (I am not completely sure if these are the same thing) can't duplicate.

I have been using Rodinal 1:200 at 68F for about 7:30 in a tray for kallitypes.

eddie
13-Jul-2009, 10:39
thanks jason.

this helps. maybe i will stick to the green....makes my order smaller anyway. anyone else have a different experience?

CXS is what i will be getting.

eddie

Eddie,

I use the CXS (aka Konica or Physicians' Choice) green. I recently tried the blue, and wasn't particularly happy with it. Others will probably disagree. I just didn't find it particularly pleasant--I found the tones rather "empty"--nothing like the full tonal rendition of WP. While the green has its problems and I find the tonality to be lacking at times, I do find it easier to use than the blue. The color/tone renditions between blue sensitive xray and WP are noticeably different, I am not exactly sure why. Anyhow, the artifacts of WP create something which other blue sensitive/color blind films (I am not completely sure if these are the same thing) can't duplicate.

I have been using Rodinal 1:200 at 68F for about 7:30 in a tray for kallitypes.

Gene McCluney
14-Jul-2009, 10:01
The Blue and the Green sensitive X-ray films look different than Wet Plate because they have some sensitivity to light in other color areas than Wet Plate does. I can't explain it, but with any process, you get to "know" your materials and work to their strengths.

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Jul-2009, 19:50
Eddie, I think I posted this image somewhere else on here. I shot this with the 11x14 green sensitive x-ray film. This happens to be McKesson film. Expired in'08. developed in pyrocat-hd 1:1:200 printed on Azo. I hope this gives you a visual clue. My son had on a light green jacket and this was shot in diffused daylight in the redwoods.

Jim

Blair Ware
15-Jul-2009, 22:13
I ordered both blue and green CSX having never tried it before. Can anyone suggest starting ISO's for each of these? Thanks.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
16-Jul-2009, 08:37
Try 50 for the green and 200 for the full speed blue.

Blair Ware
16-Jul-2009, 19:43
Jason, thanks for the starting points.

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Jul-2009, 19:55
The image I posted was shot at ISO 100 on the green film.

Jim

Blair Ware
17-Jul-2009, 05:31
Thanks, it is hard to fault your exposure. In fact it was this shot that caught my attention in the first place.

I am assuming there are a number of variables that need to be taken into account, e.g., development, subject material and quality of light (not that these don't come into play with regular film). I have a ton of Rodinol and will be start with it.

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Jul-2009, 07:20
Blair, yes there are some things you have to figure out but with the cost of the film at such a bargin you can play a little. If I had to buy my 11x14 film new it is still only .53 a sheet! What's not to like.

Jim