PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sydney, Australia

Robert Stow
10-Jul-2009, 21:16
Just want to say hi and of course plunge head long in with a question.
I have a Cambo 4" x 5" and have just purchased a Schneider Apo Symmar 210mm f5.6 lens :) to go with my Caltar 150mm. I also purchased a #1 Cambo lens board to suit the Schneider. Problem is that there is a very small screw sticking out from the back of the shutter that prevents the lens from attaching flush to the board. Winding up the mounting ring pushes the lens board up against the top of the screw such that there is a small amount of tilt / play. Can anyone please tell me the purpose of this screw and if it can be removed so that I can mount the lens flush to the board? I thought that it may have just worked loose and tightened it but it still sits proud of the surface 1 - 2mm. I did a search and found reference in one post of such a thing as an index screw. Is that what this is? The person who wrote that post said to remove it. Any comments?
The lens board is flush on both sides around the mounting hole. Should there be a recess for the screw head to fit into?

I am a fine art photographer and artist using both film and digital. I also shoot weddings, portraits and commercial work.

Cheers

ChrisN
11-Jul-2009, 03:02
Hi Robert, I'm pretty much a newcomer here myself, but I'll say - welcome!

I think the screw on the back of the shutter is supposed to act as a locating pin, and prevents the shutter from rotating in the board as the mounting ring is tightened. So you need to introduce a small hole at just the right position on the lens board, to allow the screw to rest in the hole.

I've got one shutter/lens board that works that way - but happy to be corrected here as I don't know your gear at all. Cheers!

Robert Stow
11-Jul-2009, 05:34
Yes, I suspected that, but not having a drill or drill bits (at home) I was hoping for a quicker and easier solution so I can start using the lens this weekend. Oh well, sometimes that is just the way it has to be.

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Hi Robert, I'm pretty much a newcomer here myself, but I'll say - welcome!

I think the screw on the back of the shutter is supposed to act as a locating pin, and prevents the shutter from rotating in the board as the mounting ring is tightened. So you need to introduce a small hole at just the right position on the lens board, to allow the screw to rest in the hole.

I've got one shutter/lens board that works that way - but happy to be corrected here as I don't know your gear at all. Cheers!

Vick Vickery
11-Jul-2009, 08:10
Welcome to group therepy, Robert! :) Just unscrew the pin and mount the lens...won't hurt anything. Keep the pin (really usually a little screw) in case you have trouble with the shutter turning when you set the f-stop or shutter speed...thats the only reason its there.

By the way, when you set up your camera "Down Under" does the image on the glass show right side up??? :) Sorry...couldn't resist!!!

Robert Stow
12-Jul-2009, 03:33
Hi Vick

Thanks for that.
Hmmm... I will make the decision tomorrow, to drill or not to drill. I might drill as I will undoubtedly lose the screw if I remove it, plus it is going to be a dedicated lens board and will never be apart from the lens.
Also, Murphy's law dictates that if there is a chance for the shutter to turn it will definitely happen, and at the most inopportune of times, so that probably seals it.

Hey, I wish it looked right way up!!!

Cheers and thanks

Welcome to group therepy, Robert! :) Just unscrew the pin and mount the lens...won't hurt anything. Keep the pin (really usually a little screw) in case you have trouble with the shutter turning when you set the f-stop or shutter speed...thats the only reason its there.

By the way, when you set up your camera "Down Under" does the image on the glass show right side up??? :) Sorry...couldn't resist!!!

Robert Stow
13-Jul-2009, 21:45
Done!! Drilled, filled and drilled again. (Phone pic)
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/VWVR6/14072009-1.jpg

Lens looks fabulous. Can't wait to use it.

View from my window Tuesday 14th July 2:40pm (Phone pic)
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/VWVR6/14072009_004.jpg

Winter sun is shining and I'm about to put a coat of paint on the studio cyclorama :)
Never thought much about being able to carry this camera out into the field as I primarily shoot in the studio. But will definitely do that when I can sort out a way of packing it into a manageable size.
Been looking for a suitable bag. Any suggestions?

Michael Wynd
13-Jul-2009, 23:30
Welcome to the forum Robert. Lots of very knowledgeable people here. If you're coming down to Melbourne, let me know, and we could meet up, along with a few other LF users here.
Mike

Robert Stow
14-Jul-2009, 06:09
Hi Mike

Thanks for the invite. Can't say I get down there very often. The last time was in '92 or '93 except for a brief stop over on the way back from overseas.
I almost came down to pick up a 4" x 5" enlarger that was advertised in the Photographic Trader magazine. The guy was practically giving it away for $80 pick up. I ended up getting another one from Melbourne shipped up to Sydney for around $300 all up.

What format do you use?
I have been searching for cheaper processing of 4" x 5" colour negs and trans. I use Vision Graphics at St. Leonards. They charge $8 per sheet.
One place gave me the unbelievable quote of $15 per sheet! How do Victorian prices compare?

Welcome to the forum Robert. Lots of very knowledgeable people here. If you're coming down to Melbourne, let me know, and we could meet up, along with a few other LF users here.
Mike

roteague
14-Jul-2009, 10:38
Greetings Robert from Hawaii,

I don't come here often, but thought I would say hello and welcome anyway. Always great to see someone in Sydney using 5x4. Current plans, are that I will be in Sydney sometime around the end of September, then down to Victoria (Bright) for about 8 days. Sydney is one of my favorite cities.

I do mostly color landscapes, but I only shoot film (4x5, 120 and 35mm).

Michael Wynd
14-Jul-2009, 20:02
Hi Robert.
I use a Tachihara 8x10 and only shoot B & W because colour film is stupidly expensive here in Oz and processing in Melbourne is $20 per sheet. Bond Imaging where I used to get my 4x5's done used to cost about $6.50 per 4x5 sheet of colour tranny. You can go online and get prices from Bond Imaging. Their service is excellent and if you want you can send your film through the mail. I've done it by putting the film in the film box and taping it up. They will require a credit card number, etc. If you ring them before you do anything, they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.
And no, I've never had a problem with Australia Post.
Good luck
Mike

OldBikerPete
14-Jul-2009, 20:10
Hi Robert.
I use a Tachihara 8x10 and only shoot B & W because colour film is stupidly expensive here in Oz and processing in Melbourne is $20 per sheet. Bond Imaging where I used to get my 4x5's done used to cost about $6.50 per 4x5 sheet of colour tranny. You can go online and get prices from Bond Imaging. Their service is excellent and if you want you can send your film through the mail. I've done it by putting the film in the film box and taping it up. They will require a credit card number, etc. If you ring them before you do anything, they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.
Good luck
Mike

I used to use Bond imaging when I first started 5x4 Neg. I became disenchanted and started developing my own after a while. (Always dust and fibres, occasional uneven development).

Robert Stow
14-Jul-2009, 23:55
Hi Mike

Thanks for that info.

Yes, stupidly expensive to buy and to process. I develop my own black and white and as mentioned use Vision Graphics for colour. I will definitely check out Bond Imaging.
What else is there to do? Buy cheap film from online sources and then send OS for processing? I am investigating that now. Don't know how film will fare through x-ray screening though.

Cheers

Hi Robert.
Good luck
Mike

David Stephenson
15-Jul-2009, 00:41
I use Lab X in Melbourne (Google them), they seem to do a good job for $5.50/sheet for 4x5, and are a smaller more service oriented lab than Bond I think. They can do 5x7 and 8x10 as well if you get into that. I just put it in an Express Post bag with one for the return, you can use registered mail if you want to be extra sure.

David Stephenson
15-Jul-2009, 00:43
PS they are about $11 for 8x10.

David Stephenson
15-Jul-2009, 00:58
You can buy film online, B & H Photo or Adorama in NYC are both way cheaper than Oz and you generally have it quicker, normally the next week. Badger Graphics is also a good source. Would like to support the local market but not when it is twice as expensive. Shipping is economical if you get enough at a time. I have never had a problem with x rays except in Alice Springs airport. Some say the processing is not as even in Oz as some overseas labs, I have had the "fine art" grade C41 processing at Lightwaves in SF recommended but haven't tried them.

Robert Stow
15-Jul-2009, 07:21
Hi David

Thanks for all your great information. It is really appreciated.

I am currently waiting on a shipment of film (50 sheets Fuji) from an eBay store. Seemed reputable enough, but time will tell. I also bought 20 lots of C-41 4" x 5" Processing for $1.99 US each plus $14.95 flat rate post pack from Lattin color lab. Wonder if anyone has experience with them?

Yes I have checked out Adorama and B&H. Will have a look at Badger.

I am all for saving money. (been spending too much lately)

Cheers and thanks again

You can buy film online, B & H Photo or Adorama in NYC are both way cheaper than Oz and you generally have it quicker, normally the next week. Badger Graphics is also a good source. Would like to support the local market but not when it is twice as expensive. Shipping is economical if you get enough at a time. I have never had a problem with x rays except in Alice Springs airport. Some say the processing is not as even in Oz as some overseas labs, I have had the "fine art" grade C41 processing at Lightwaves in SF recommended but haven't tried them.

Robert Stow
15-Jul-2009, 07:28
Hi OldBikerPete

Thanks for your comments.

I haven't used them as yet, but hopefully they have come good again.
Are you still processing your own colour film? Negs or transparency?

Cheers

I used to use Bond imaging when I first started 5x4 Neg. I became disenchanted and started developing my own after a while. (Always dust and fibres, occasional uneven development).

roteague
15-Jul-2009, 10:26

Interesting. I've flown in and out of the Alice Springs airport and never ran into any problems with x-rays there.

Yes, film prices are horrible in Oz. I generally bring as much as possible with me. Unfortunately, that has the side effect of limiting me to flying on Hawaiian Airlines. Both Qantas and Air Pacific only allow 7kg carry-on (Hawaiian 14kg). Hawaiian is normally cheaper anyway, but the arrival times aren't as good.

Robert Stow
16-Jul-2009, 20:33
Hi roteague

If you have the time we could meet up, depending on your schedule of course. Are you planning a shoot while you are in Sydney?

Greetings Robert from Hawaii,

I don't come here often, but thought I would say hello and welcome anyway. Always great to see someone in Sydney using 5x4. Current plans, are that I will be in Sydney sometime around the end of September, then down to Victoria (Bright) for about 8 days. Sydney is one of my favorite cities.

I do mostly color landscapes, but I only shoot film (4x5, 120 and 35mm).

Shen45
16-Jul-2009, 20:46
You will find Robert [roteague] excellent company so I hope you have the opportunity to catch up with him. Robert almost qualifies for temporary residence status as he visits Australia so regularly.

That is the wonderful thing about this and other photographic forum -- you can establish excellent contacts.

I get my film from Freestyle and have had zero problems. Arista Edu Ultra 200.

Steve

roteague
17-Jul-2009, 10:21
You will find Robert [roteague] excellent company so I hope you have the opportunity to catch up with him. Robert almost qualifies for temporary residence status as he visits Australia so regularly.

That is the wonderful thing about this and other photographic forum -- you can establish excellent contacts.

Steve

Steve!! Great to hear from you. I hope you have been doing well. I'll be sure to drop you a note this weekend.

roteague
17-Jul-2009, 10:25
Hi roteague

If you have the time we could meet up, depending on your schedule of course. Are you planning a shoot while you are in Sydney?

Hi Robert, that would be great. I'll let you know where I'll be staying when I get all my plans firmed up. Airfare is really high this year, so I haven't made hotel reservations yet. However, I generally stay near the Airport. In the past, I've always shot 35mm in Sydney, so this trip I want to do a bit of 5x4.

Be careful what Steve tells you!! He put up with me for a weeklong trip to Alice Springs; we drove by car from his home in SA. It was a great trip for me; Steve really went out of his way to make me feel at home, and to show me around a bit (although I showed him around the West MacDonnell range!!).

Glad to see you here,

seabird
17-Jul-2009, 16:57
Robert Stowe:

Welcome from another Sydney LF-er. Glad you sorted out your lensboard query. These things can be a bit confusing initially but as you have discovered this forum is an excellent resource.

As for film purchasing, I have had excellent service from Freestyle in the US and highly recommend them. I particularly like being able to play with shipping costs prior to placing the order.

As for film processing I usually shoot B&W so do all my own. If I shoot colour then its E6 and I get it processed via Photo Reisel in Kent St who are 2mins walk from my office (I've only shot 120 thus far but do have some 4x5 Velvia to play with)

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

This photography thing is just a hobby and I'm still on a steep learning curve but some of my pix can be found at the link below.

Robert Teague:

Followed a link from your post to your site - and thoroughly enjoyed your work :-). Made me all misty-eyed looking at your images of Central Otago (I was born in Dunedin).

If either of you are interested in meeting up when in Sydney then drop me a note. Perhaps we could put the Melbourne LF community in the shade and organise a Sydney LF gathering or trip to the Blue Mountains etc ??

Cheers

roteague
19-Jul-2009, 19:05
Robert Teague:

Followed a link from your post to your site - and thoroughly enjoyed your work :-). Made me all misty-eyed looking at your images of Central Otago (I was born in Dunedin).

If either of you are interested in meeting up when in Sydney then drop me a note. Perhaps we could put the Melbourne LF community in the shade and organise a Sydney LF gathering or trip to the Blue Mountains etc ??

Cheers

I'd love to meet up, the more the merrier as they say. It will be a weekday that I'm in Sydney, so that might make it difficult for those who have to work. But, I'm up for some early evening stuff as well.

BTW, I've got a new blog up, http://roteague.wordpress.com/. It's got some narrative on a few of my photographs, and I plan on adding to it in the future.
I love Central Otago myself; I've got a real good friend who lives in the area. BTW, there is a fellow up in Wanaka, Gilbert van Reenen (http://www.cleangreen.co.nz/index.html), who has a really beautiful book on the area - although I'm not sure if he still has it available. I visited him in his gallery a few years ago.

I love NZ, but haven't been able to make it back in several years. I miss it as well ...

akalai
19-Jul-2009, 20:32
Robert Stowe:
...If I shoot colour then its E6 and I get it processed via Photo Reisel in Kent St who are 2mins walk from my office...
Cheers

Don't Foto Reisel just send film out to;

Vision Image Lab
10 Danks Street
Waterloo NSW 2017
tel: (02) 9319 3300
http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/ (http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/)

Check the website for prices under "Service Guide."

OldBikerPete
20-Jul-2009, 00:27
Hi OldBikerPete

Thanks for your comments.

I haven't used them as yet, but hopefully they have come good again.
Are you still processing your own colour film? Negs or transparency?

Cheers

Yes, I process my own C-41 at home. I buy the individual (dry where possible) chemicals from Canada and mix up my own processing solutions. Overall developing cost is less than UA$0.50 per 5x4 sheet. Making the solutions is easy, you need an accurate scales (gold scales off eBay AU$20) and a pH meter (AU$70 off eBay) and a means to measure liquids fairly accurately (measuring cylinder and 10ml syringe) plus variously sized bits of glassware.

seabird
20-Jul-2009, 01:36
Don't Foto Reisel just send film out to;

Vision Image Lab
10 Danks Street
Waterloo NSW 2017
tel: (02) 9319 3300
http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/ (http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/)

Check the website for prices under "Service Guide."

Thanks, yes I am aware that Vision Image Lab do the processing and Photo Reisel are just an agent. But given my office location the convenience is well worth it for me.

Cheers

Robert Stow
21-Jul-2009, 06:08
Hi Steve

Thanks for the info on Freestyle. Great store!!! There goes my bank balance...
Never heard of Arista before. What made you go for it?

Well, hope I am able to meet roteague. Would be great to organise a meet somewhere while he is out here.

Steve

Robert Stow
21-Jul-2009, 06:11
It would be great to organise a group meet somewhere.

Robert Stow
21-Jul-2009, 06:33
Hi Robert

I am in the northern suburbs of Sydney, quite a way from the airport and pretty much removed from everything else come to think of it. Nearest beach is about an hour away, although the Hawkesbury River is quite close.
How many days are you planning to be in Sydney?

Hi Robert, that would be great. I'll let you know where I'll be staying when I get all my plans firmed up. Airfare is really high this year, so haven't made hotel reservations yet. However, I generally stay near the Airport. In the past, I've always shot 35mm in Sydney, so this trip I want to do a bit of 5x4.

Be careful what Steve tells you!! He put up with me for a weeklong trip to Alice Springs; we drove by car from his home in SA. It was a great trip for me; Steve really went out of his way to make me feel at home, and to show me around a bit (although I showed him around the West MacDonnell range!!).

Glad to see you here,

Shen45
21-Jul-2009, 06:48
Hi Steve

Thanks for the info on Freestyle. Great store!!! There goes my bank balance...
Never heard of Arista before. What made you go for it?

Arista is a great price, has very good tonality and works well in PMK, Xtol or D76

I could not afford to shoot the amount of film I enjoy if I had to shoot more expensive film. I also shoot Efke/Adox 100.

Some complain about quality but I have not as yet had any problems with the Arista or the Efke for that matter other than a wrongly labelled batch of Efke 100 that was actually about 50. Still that was nearly 3 years ago and the problem was resolved by the supplier. Zero problems since.

Steve

612tom
21-Jul-2009, 07:14
Hello from another Syndeysider (North Shores). Loving the clear blue skies this week :)

I've pretty much nailed my film importing from the US and the UK (Fujilab short-dated stock with great discounts), but I wonder where you people get your chemicals from for B+W?

I bought some dev and fix from Photo Continental last time I was up in Brisbane, but do you think I'd have any problems in shipping from the likes of B+H, Adorama et al? Just your normal not too exotic developers and fixers - they won't class as hazmat will they?? Photo Continental didn't have a particularly wide selection, and I was limited to Ifosol 3 for dev.

Thanks in advance, and keep us posted if a meet up is being planned, I'd love to tag along :)

Robert Stow
21-Jul-2009, 07:22
Hi Carey

Yes, great forum!!!

I know FotoRiesel well. Have mostly used Vision Graphics for film processing as they are closer to me, but am keen to try other cheaper labs.
I'm in Hornsby. Where are you located?

Went for a bit of a scout over the weekend, down through the old windy pac that leads on to Gosford, stopping for a bit of a jaunt at Mooney Mooney creek.

Discovered 2 ticks in my neck on Monday for the effort.

(Had a holiday in NZ when I was a kid and it still remains fresh in my mind to this day. Takes something special and beautiful to have that effect.)

Freestyle seems to be gathering votes!!

Nice pics and info packed site!!

Robert Stow:

Welcome from another Sydney LF-er. Glad you sorted out your lensboard query. These things can be a bit confusing initially but as you have discovered this forum is an excellent resource.

As for film purchasing, I have had excellent service from Freestyle in the US and highly recommend them. I particularly like being able to play with shipping costs prior to placing the order.

As for film processing I usually shoot B&W so do all my own. If I shoot colour then its E6 and I get it processed via Photo Reisel in Kent St who are 2mins walk from my office (I've only shot 120 thus far but do have some 4x5 Velvia to play with)

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

This photography thing is just a hobby and I'm still on a steep learning curve but some of my pix can be found at the link below.

Robert Teague:

Cheers

Robert Stow
21-Jul-2009, 07:37
Hi 612Tom

Yes the skies are glorious of late. I drove in to Mascot this morning (Tuesday morning) and saw the sun come up as I was going over Anzac Bridge. Would have loved to have stopped right in the middle of the road and set up and take a shot. Haven't seen it look that good before. Morning glow strafing off the wires and concrete beneath a cloudless dome. Simply magic. (I'm willing to admit it probably looks that good all the time, but I never get to see it... )

Will add more later re: below.

Cheers

Hello from another Syndeysider (North Shores). Loving the clear blue skies this week :)

I've pretty much nailed my film importing from the US and the UK (Fujilab short-dated stock with great discounts), but I wonder where you people get your chemicals from for B+W?

I bought some dev and fix from Photo Continental last time I was up in Brisbane, but do you think I'd have any problems in shipping from the likes of B+H, Adorama et al? Just your normal not too exotic developers and fixers - they won't class as hazmat will they?? Photo Continental didn't have a particularly wide selection, and I was limited to Ifosol 3 for dev.

Thanks in advance, and keep us posted if a meet up is being planned, I'd love to tag along :)

Shen45
21-Jul-2009, 18:07

Try Les Porter in Newcastle for B&W chemistry. The cost of shipping liquid from OS, which they probably won't ship anyway, would be astronomical. A friend here in Adelaide gets Rollo Pyro from the states but the shipping is nearly the same cost as the chemistry and that is not a large volume product.

Robert Stow
21-Jul-2009, 19:01
Thanks for that.

For black and white I've been using Delta 100 from local suppliers, which has been giving me good results, but is expensive. Australia is such a void in terms of variety. Seems suppliers want everyone to shoot digital. More money in it for them I guess.
Had a browse through Freestyle and can't believe the range of film that is available.
Glad to give your recommendations a go.

Cheers

Arista is a great price, has very good tonality and works well in PMK, Xtol or D76

I could not afford to shoot the amount of film I enjoy if I had to shoot more expensive film. I also shoot Efke/Adox 100.

Some complain about quality but I have not as yet had any problems with the Arista or the Efke for that matter other than a wrongly labelled batch of Efke 100 that was actually about 50. Still that was nearly 3 years ago and the problem was resolved by the supplier. Zero problems since.

Steve

Robert Stow
21-Jul-2009, 22:35
ID-11 from Fotoriesel in Kent Street and Vanbar in Sydney (Can't remember the suburb).
Comes in a 1 Litre and 5 Litre powder pack in a box. Both have a range of chemicals too.
Vanbar's website is pretty good. http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/index.php

I will be making my own soon from some samples I sourced from a chemical company out west. They were gracious enough to give me a couple of 500 gram samples. I didn't tell them that the concentrations are only a few grams per litre of developer ;)

Cheers

Anthony Lewis
22-Jul-2009, 04:31
Hi everyone - I've always thought it a great idea if all us LF Sydneysiders got together.

If the impetus is when Robert Teague is out here then all the better - and for that matter anyone else from Australia. I live in Sydney and the Blue Mountains (Mt Victoria). I used to live on the Northern Beaches, and would like to suggest, Bangalley Headland, Clareville Beach, but in the end I'm happy with anywhere.

I have a small house in Mt Victoria and am happy to offer that, but it is 2 hours drive from Sydney, which may make it inconvenient. If we can all come to a consensus for us all to meet when Robert is here then lets go for it, and get as many film people involved as possible.

Robert Stow
23-Jul-2009, 19:01
Hi Anthony

Sounds good to me.

If Robert T is the catalyst that brings Sydney LF users together then so be it.

I'm happy with any location / times etc.

Let's make it happen.

Hi everyone - I've always thought it a great idea if all us LF Sydneysiders got together.

If the impetus is when Robert Teague is out here then all the better - and for that matter anyone else from Australia. I live in Sydney and the Blue Mountains (Mt Victoria). I used to live on the Northern Beaches, and would like to suggest, Bangalley Headland, Clareville Beach, but in the end I'm happy with anywhere.

I have a small house in Mt Victoria and am happy to offer that, but it is 2 hours drive from Sydney, which may make it inconvenient. If we can all come to a consensus for us all to meet when Robert is here then lets go for it, and get as many film people involved as possible.

Anthony Lewis
29-Jul-2009, 02:25
Robert Stow you initiated the meeting with Robert T so I hope I am not pushing into your organising, but I wouldn't mind meeting up with him in September as well if that is OK?

Anyway I think this is also a good impetus for all us Sydney LF's to meet - perhaps regularly. I reckon for the first meeting we should just make in a central/easy location. Just to get the ball rolling I would suggest Balls Head at Waverton, on a Saturday afternoon, perhaps August 22. I suggest we all bring some gear and talk about it over a few beers!

If this suits the majority then lets go for it, however if it is not OK by someone, then certainly suggest the alternative here - in the end I can fit in with anywhere.

I think that if anyone else is just a real film fan then they can turn up as well. When we have reached a consensus then I will put a post on APUG as well. Please all let me know what you think?

seabird
29-Jul-2009, 04:54
... this is also a good impetus for all us Sydney LF's to meet - perhaps regularly. I reckon for the first meeting we should just make in a central/easy location. Just to get the ball rolling I would suggest Balls Head at Waverton, on a Saturday afternoon, perhaps August 22. I suggest we all bring some gear and talk about it over a few beers!

Hi Anthony,

I'm potentially a goer for this. At this stage the suggested locale and date work for me.

By Balls Head, do I understand you to mean the reserve or were you thinking of a particular location? Is there a nearby venue we can retire to in case of inclement weather?

Cheers

Anthony Lewis
29-Jul-2009, 14:17
I was thinking of the reserve. There is a car park and bar-b-cue area there. Inclement weather. No I have no plans for that - any ideas? Let me think about it!

roteague
31-Jul-2009, 22:25
I'm getting closer to having everything arranged. I'll pickup my airplane tickets in the morning.

I'll be in Sydney twice, one the way in and out of Australia. I arrive 30 Sept ~ 1900 hrs, and leave for Victoria early on 2 Oct ~ 0700 (I need to be there by late afternoon).

My first day in Oz will be a day just to wind down from work; we could meet for lunch or a beer or two (I'm keen on the Opera Bar - so I can do some night shots of the harbour area).

Then I can be back on either 11 October (it's a Sunday) or 12 October. I'll fly home on the evening of 14 Oct, ~ 2100 hrs or so. On the way in, I'll probably stay at the Mecure near the airport, but I'll be open on the return trip.

Gear; I'll have my Chamonix and either a Nikon F6 (most likely) or D200 (if I decide to only shoot LF on this trip). I shoot mostly Velvia 50.

Contact me either here, or TraditionalPhotographer.net.

Robert Stow
3-Aug-2009, 01:25
Hi Anthony

Don't worry, you aren't stepping on anyone's toes.

I'm glad for any and all suggestions.
I am easy. I have a car and will go wherever the vote decides. Balls Head sounds like a good location to get the ball rolling, and August 22nd is OK with me. Any location on the harbour is prime.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Robert Stow you initiated the meeting with Robert T so I hope I am not pushing into your organising, but I wouldn't mind meeting up with him in September as well if that is OK?

Anyway I think this is also a good impetus for all us Sydney LF's to meet - perhaps regularly. I reckon for the first meeting we should just make in a central/easy location. Just to get the ball rolling I would suggest Balls Head at Waverton, on a Saturday afternoon, perhaps August 22. I suggest we all bring some gear and talk about it over a few beers!

If this suits the majority then lets go for it, however if it is not OK by someone, then certainly suggest the alternative here - in the end I can fit in with anywhere.

I think that if anyone else is just a real film fan then they can turn up as well. When we have reached a consensus then I will put a post on APUG as well. Please all let me know what you think?

Anthony Lewis
3-Aug-2009, 03:46
Robert T - thanks for your post. I, and others, will try and catch up with you when you are in - bound. The Opera Bar sounds great. Lets firm up on times when a little closer to your arrival on this thread? I must say hotels near airports in this country aren't the greatest!

Robert S this thread now has two points, meeting RT, and organising a Sydney LF meet. I think its best for me to start another thread to organise the Sydney LF's get together, and I will also put a thread on APUG. Hope this is OK by all.

Robert Stow
3-Aug-2009, 06:24
Hi Robert

Looking forward to meeting you when you are here.
Happy for you to stay at my place on your way out of Sydney if you like. I do live quite a way from the airport and I do have a 2 year old running about, but I like to drive and am constantly venturing out into the field in search of new locations.
Could manage a quick trip to the Blue Mountains.
Anthony mentioned his place in Mount Victoria. Might make a good base camp?
Otherwise there is always the coast.

Cheers

I'm getting closer to having everything arranged. I'll pickup my airplane tickets in the morning.

I'll be in Sydney twice, one the way in and out of Australia. I arrive 30 Sept ~ 1900 hrs, and leave for Victoria early on 2 Oct ~ 0700 (I need to be there by late afternoon).

My first day in Oz will be a day just to wind down from work; we could meet for lunch or a beer or two (I'm keen on the Opera Bar - so I can do some night shots of the harbour area).

Then I can be back on either 11 October (it's a Sunday) or 12 October. I'll fly home on the evening of 14 Oct, ~ 2100 hrs or so. On the way in, I'll probably stay at the Mecure near the airport, but I'll be open on the return trip.

Gear; I'll have my Chamonix and either a Nikon F6 (most likely) or D200 (if I decide to only shoot LF on this trip). I shoot mostly Velvia 50.

Contact me either here, or TraditionalPhotographer.net.

DavidAmosPhotography
16-Dec-2009, 14:18
Can anyone here tell me if there is a large format group here in Sydney.
Or a club of sorts I guess.

Thank you.