PDA

View Full Version : Avedon Exhibit in San Francisco

Merg Ross
9-Jul-2009, 17:33
Today I attended the preview of a Richard Avedon retrospective that opens on July 11, 2009 at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. The period covered is 1946-2004 with over 200 prints on display. This is a remarkable exhibition and runs through November 29, 2009.

Also currently showing is an exhibition of the works of Georgia O'Keefe and Ansel Adams titled "Natural Affinities". Along with Ansel's work is that of his contemporaries including Strand, Stieglitz, Cunningham, Weston, and the usual suspects. Strand is represented with his platinum prints, and Ansel with his iconic images with which we are familiar.

If you have a large appetite for photo viewing, there is also a very large exhibition of Robert Frank's work. All of the photographs from "The Americans" are on display as are hundreds of other images. I lasted half way through the exhibit before eyeball fatigue set in and I called it a day. I will return another day to view the remainder of the Frank exhibit.

Brian_A
9-Jul-2009, 18:46
If it's the same Avedon show that was out here in DC, it will be an awesome show. I went twice and went to the keynote speech while it was here...

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Jul-2009, 21:35
Merg, thanks for the info on this. I've always been a fan of Avedon and it looks like I need to get my but in gear and come up to see the show. Good reason to visit my oldest in San Francisco. Still need to do the Weston"s show in SB. Looks like I need to get it in gear.

Jim

Merg Ross
9-Jul-2009, 21:53
If it's the same Avedon show that was out here in DC, it will be an awesome show. I went twice and went to the keynote speech while it was here...
Brian, apparently SFMOMA is the only US venue for this particular exhibition. It was organized for The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Denmark. I would not be surprised if the DC exhibition (Corcoran Gallery?) had much of the same work. There seem to be several Avedon exhibitions in circulation. I will agree with you, his work is awesome! He was a master at photographing people; his portraits are alive and riveting.

Merg Ross
9-Jul-2009, 22:02
Merg, thanks for the info on this. I've always been a fan of Avedon and it looks like I need to get my but in gear and come up to see the show. Good reason to visit my oldest in San Francisco. Still need to do the Weston"s show in SB. Looks like I need to get it in gear.

Jim

Jim, plenty of time for the Avedon exhibit, but only a month left for Brett's exhibit in Santa Barbara. Hope you get the time to visit. You may not have the opportunity again to see such a fine exhibit of his work under one roof, the way it is being dispersed.

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Jul-2009, 06:38
Jim, plenty of time for the Avedon exhibit, but only a month left for Brett's exhibit in Santa Barbara. Hope you get the time to visit. You may not have the opportunity again to see such a fine exhibit of his work under one roof, the way it is being dispersed.

Merg, you can count on me getting to the exhibit in SB and more than once.

Jim

Brian_A
10-Jul-2009, 07:01
Brian, apparently SFMOMA is the only US venue for this particular exhibition. It was organized for The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Denmark. I would not be surprised if the DC exhibition (Corcoran Gallery?) had much of the same work. There seem to be several Avedon exhibitions in circulation. I will agree with you, his work is awesome! He was a master at photographing people; his portraits are alive and riveting.

Merg,

The one out here at the Corcoran was a pretty well rounded exhibit. Everything from his early modeling work and the Kennedys to his work at the DNC ending with his somewhat famous portrait of our current president. I have to say the life (Or somewhat larger) sized prints were kind of a cool thing to do. The Chicago Seven and the Joint Chiefs were really neat prints. Anyways, I'm curious to know how identical the two shows are being put on by two different groups. Anyways, everyone in the area should go see this show if it's anything like it's DC variant.

-Brian

brianam
11-Jul-2009, 00:56
a Brett Weston show in Santa Barbara? oh drat, I just passed through there last weekend on my way back to San Francisco. Hmmph. Should read the forums more often. :-)

I saw the Robert Frank at SFMOMA the other day, and yes, it sure is large. almost too much so. But i really enjoyed the number of contact sheets on display. a couple dozen I bet. that's always a treat...