PDA

View Full Version : Carrying dark slides

Matthew Rolfe
9-Jul-2009, 10:45
FILM HOLDERS NOT DARK SLIDES....

Hello,

Any advice on what is the best way to 'transport' 8x10 film holders? What I mean is, what is the best receptacle for 8x10 film holders so that I can carry them around safely and comfortably whilst out and about with my Wista. I used to shoot on 5x4 and that size of dark slide would fit nicely into a backpack along with other equipment, but 8x10 is so much more cumbersome and awkward. I could just use a rucksack or a hard case but I figured I would see what other people use.

thanks

Donald Miller
9-Jul-2009, 11:02
I assume that you mean film holders as opposed to dark slides since dark slides reside in the film holders unless one is exposing film.

If my assumption is correct, then a backpack or a carrying case is the normal manner of transporting them. I use a designated case for my film holders and place them in ziplock plastic bags so that there is less chance for dust.

Matthew Rolfe
9-Jul-2009, 11:45
Donald, Sorry I meant film holders. What sort of case do you use?

Jim MacKenzie
9-Jul-2009, 12:56
"Dark slides" seems to be a common phrase in the UK for what I call film holders. It's natural that you'd call them that, even though to us on this side of the Atlantic it means something else.

America and England: two nations divided by a single tongue, as the line goes!

I can say this from my perch in Canada, of course... where we write cheques with colour ink while watching television programs about the price of gas for our cars... while sitting on our chesterfield.

Ed Pierce
9-Jul-2009, 17:31
Many folks use soft insulated coolers to carry 8x10 film holders. I have a zone vi bag for 8x10 which works well.

Robert A. Zeichner
9-Jul-2009, 18:54
Luggage stores have notebook computer packs that are padded with closed cell foam and that can be a perfect size for 3 or 4 holders. I got one at a local camping outfitter a few years ago. It came with D rings and a strap.

IanG
10-Jul-2009, 00:34
Matthew, bubble wrap works well, and it's cheap, I generally wrap my dark-slides in pairs.

I have some bubble wrap that's envelope shape/style I think from computer mother boards and these fit a 10x8 dark-slide perfectly.

Ian

Matthew Rolfe
10-Jul-2009, 05:05
Thanks for all the good advice!