PDA

View Full Version : camera insurance help please!

louisjconnelly
3-Jul-2009, 04:42
Hi everyone, i have just come across a major issue, this being camera insurance. The story goes: I am trying to organise full professional camera insurance for my equipment, and as i bought it second hand and have no receipt apparently i need to get it valued at a reputable photographic outlet. The second problem then is my camera (4x5 Deardorff special) is not for sale and never has been in the UK so no 'reputable photographic outlet' can provide me with a valuation figure! I am at a complete loss, has anyone ever encountered this problem before?? If so how, and does anyone know where in the UK i could get a legal insurance valuation for my equipment?

Kind Regards

Louis

Robert A. Zeichner
3-Jul-2009, 05:41
Maybe you could furnish a printout of completed *bay sales for your model of camera? This would at least establish typical selling prices currently.

eddie
3-Jul-2009, 06:00
get a receipt.......a hand written receipt is usually fine......date paid in full the amount sellers signature......

i am sure if you look very very hard in the box in the back of your closet you will fine said receipt! i think you have ove3r looked it....:)

jnantz
3-Jul-2009, 06:15
do you have the cancelled check, or credit card receipt, or payment "stub" from paypal?

Bob Salomon
3-Jul-2009, 06:51
Any dealer in large format new or used equipment in the UK can do an appraisal for you. They will know what a Deardorff was. Even though it may not have been sold over there.

Allen in Montreal
3-Jul-2009, 19:15
Louis,

just a small print FYI,

I changed companies this year as my old insurer was slowly cutting back what was covered and quickly raising the rates.

With the new company I have found some small print that states if I have not declared a real value to within 90 percent of the real and actual replacement cost,
I risk:

Having the policy voided and not being covered. Or, becoming a Co-Insured with the company and there is a long formula to calculate the massive claw backs in my coverage and amounts that will be paid to me in the event of a claim.

This may not be an issue for you in the UK, but other photographers I have spoken to here have mentioned this clause is being written in as they renew their insurance here.

z_photo
5-Jul-2009, 07:16
join NANPA. their insurance program allows you to set value. the cost is something like 2.3% of declared replacement value. all losses are covered with some reasonable exceptions (such as 'mysterious disappearance')

edit:
oops, did not notice UK reference.

deadpan
7-Jul-2009, 06:54
Try Williamson Carson & Co. Ltd. (& Williamson Carson Financial Services Ltd.). They always seem helpfull on the phone. They are also affiliated with the AOP, and I think you can set the value of replacing equipment?

Navy Moose
9-Jul-2009, 11:10
NAPP has an insurance program with The Hartford, I just got a policy through them insuring my gear for replacement value, including my photoshop computer.