PDA

View Full Version : Oregon/Wash

Terry Hull
2-Jul-2009, 10:20
I have to fly to Reno, with two weeks thereafter to go up the Oregon/Washington coast. I am planning to spend the first night in Reno, and thereafter:
night 1-Reno
night 2,3 Eureka, CA.
night 4,5 Coos Bay
night 6 in Cannon Beach
night 7,8 Port Angeles/San Juan/Victoria
night 9,10 Portland
night 12 Crater Lake area
night 13 Mt. Shasta area
night 14 Reno

Since my wife will be with me, its not totally a Hassy/LF trip, but any suggestions, particularly on distances, are appreciated. Is this a stretch( lets say a stretch is a ten, and a real slow meandering trip is a 1) or is the coverage reasonable for two weeks? Other suggestions are welcome, and I thank you.

John Jarosz
2-Jul-2009, 10:54
I'm not the guy to comment on someone's trip mileage since I just completed one with 3700 miles in 10 days. But comments on your itinerary:

I like Gold Beach in the south of oregon.

Cannon Beach is scenic, but is a very pricey area with lots of crowds.

Crater Lake is an essential stop. You must see it. Not a lot of lodging outside the park. I stayed at the Prospect Hotel B&B (http://www.prospecthotel.com/rooms.html) Very nice, but not really close to Crater (nothing really is). The lodge at Crater Lake looks good, but small.

I preferred the Mt. Hood area over Shasta.

I think the more southern Oregon beaches are more wild, which is what I prefer.

There is a very cool airplane museum near Tillamook.

I would think you're going to spend a lot of time going to Vancouver Island. That might be somewhat of a reach. I think you need passports these days.

John

Heroique
2-Jul-2009, 12:12
Quick remarks on nights 7 and 8 – if you stay (and remain) in Port Angeles:

1) Salt Creek Recreation Area (tidal pools & shore-line sea stacks) is immediately west. Gray whales often visit Crescent Bay in mid-autumn.

2) Hurricane Ridge (high Olympics, in the Nat’l Park) is immediately south.

3) Dungeness Spit Recreation Area (primitive beach, miles long) is just east.

Often overlooked: Sequim Bay (at John Wayne Marina) – a little bit further east. A tranquil spot with views of bay, the distant strait, and nearby mountains. No prettier spot in early morning light. Lots of marine life, too – harbor seals, black oyster catchers, American coots, surf scoters, mergansers, kingfishers, etc.

Plenty for the most active photographer w/ only 2 nights/3 days! :p

venchka
2-Jul-2009, 12:52
Where's Vaughn?

My dad and I caught a boat load of salmon one morning out of Sekiu, WA.

http://www.sekiu.com/

The Dread Pirate Robins
2-Jul-2009, 13:02
The nights 7 and 8 part might be a little optimistic, particularly since you are spending the previous night in Cannon Beach. Keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time aboard ferries, and sometimes hours waiting in line for ferries. I would consult the Washington State Ferries website and see what their schedules and recommendations are. If you are planning on doing photography, the San Juan Islands could take up several days all by themselves.

Other than that, your itinerary seems quite reasonable, but then again I have crossed from Eugene, Oregon, to New York City, NY by mini-van in less than a week, so my sense of what's too far might be a little skewed.

venchka
2-Jul-2009, 13:06
The nights 7 and 8 part might be a little optimistic, particularly since you are spending the previous night in Cannon Beach. Keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time aboard ferries, and sometimes hours waiting in line for ferries. I would consult the Washington State Ferries website and see what their schedules and recommendations are. If you are planning on doing photography, the San Juan Islands could take up several days all by themselves.

Other than that, your itinerary seems quite reasonable, but then again I have crossed from Eugene, Oregon, to New York City, NY by mini-van in less than a week, so my sense of what's too far might be a little skewed.

You can reserve space on the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. When we did it in the Stone Age, we boarded at night and were in Victoria early morning. Victoria-Portland in a day may be a stretch. Frankly, Vancouver Island could/should be a whole other trip.

Alan Davenport
2-Jul-2009, 13:09
The beach at Bandon (S of Coos Bay) is one of the most photogenic beaches in Oregon.

Terry Hull
2-Jul-2009, 14:03
Thanks for all of the help. So Reno, Eureka CA, Coos Bay, Cannon Beach, Portland, Crater Lake, Shasta back to Reno would be fairly easy for two weeks? Is Bend of interest?

venchka
2-Jul-2009, 14:05
Sounds like a plan.

Jim Galli
2-Jul-2009, 14:37
In Rockaway Beach stop in at the Beach Bite for a meal and say Hi to my daughter, Tina, also an excellent photographer.

The Dread Pirate Robins
2-Jul-2009, 15:21
By pushing off the San Juan/Victoria chunk, as it appears you are doing, this opens up a lot more time for the Oregon coast. You should be able to have some lazy driving days then where you can simply pull over at a whim and photograph whatever.

Some of my favorites include:
-Conde McCullough designed bridges on the coast - there's one in Newport and several more besides.
-Lighthouses - everyone likes Heceta Head. There's also some other great lighthouses. For a bit more of a slog with your gear there's Cape Meares lighthouse, which you can really only see from up close.
-the beaches and rocks - there are TONS of photogenic rocks, beaches, bays, etc.
-other features - Devil's Punchbowl comes to mind
-Shipwrecks

I am jealous of your trip.

Ivan J. Eberle
2-Jul-2009, 18:32
You didn't say when you're going, but just two weekends ago Crater Lake still had snowpack at the rim, and snow perhaps 40 feet deep ringing the lake (after having slumped down and heaped up) on the lakeshore. The mosquitos were out in force, the wildflowers weren't yet, and the lodges were all booked full. Rogue River Valley was worth side trips to see booming waterfalls and the salmonflies hatching on the way in.

I too concur that Mt Hood as well as the Hood River Valley are not to be missed.

sczin
2-Jul-2009, 20:38
As was mentioned earlier, if your near Port Angeles try photographing the lupine meadow at Hurricane ridge before sunrise. I've got some good shots there.

Steve

www.stevencastrophotography.com

Eric James
2-Jul-2009, 20:51
Nice site and beautiful images Steve. The "Bridalveil Falls Evening" is amazing.

When was your lupine shot taken?

sczin
2-Jul-2009, 21:05
Thanks Eric,

I took those July 12 and July 13. The first morning I spotted a mountain lion on my drive up the hill. Had a pretty good day.

Steve

www.stevencastrophotography.com

Eric James
2-Jul-2009, 21:08
Good to know - thank you!

Blueberrydesk
2-Jul-2009, 21:14
Just to let you know, I just drove up to Hood River (White Salmon, WA, really) from Sacramento, via Klamath Falls and the National Lava bed Park. While I didn't stop in the park due to rain, it looks like there are some nice photo opportunities there and I will probably be stopping at it again on my way back to Sacramento in 12 days.

Rt. 97 coming north through Oregon and into Bend had some construction going on, and I believe it goes until October. Minor lane stoppages, but nothing to delay for too long. I don't believe there's much in Bend, but there's lots around it. Three Sisters wilderness, Crater Lake well to the south, etc. I agree that the Mt. Hood/Hood River area are not to be missed. I just spent this morning shooting 8x10 at a beautifully running waterfall on the SE slopes of Mt. Hood.

I don't think you can go wrong, especially if you cut out the island visit/ferry trips. I did Sacramento to Bend in 9 hours, taking my time and stopping frequently along the way.

Have a safe and great trip!

Blueberrydesk
2-Jul-2009, 21:16
oh, also. You must stop and see Multnomah Falls on Rt. 84 about 1/2 hour east of Portland.

The Dread Pirate Robins
2-Jul-2009, 23:15
If you're going to Multnomah Falls, you may as well take the Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway and catch a couple more sights. I recommend Sheppard's Dell as one stop. Just about anywhere you stop will have something worth shooting.

Terry Hull
3-Jul-2009, 11:58
I have ended up with Reno(1), eureka(2,3), Coos Bay(4,5), Yachats(6,7 if I just can pronounce it!),Portland(8,9) City of Dalles,Crater Lake(10,11), Ashland (12,13)
Reno(14). Can't seem to find a place to stay near Crater lake (thinking of Wilson's Lodges-anyone stayed there?)

Other suggestions are appreciated. Don't get to take trips like this, and am looking forward to it.

Thanks again

Frank Petronio
3-Jul-2009, 12:29
Frankly I'd just go to either Portland, Coos Bay, Ashland (highly under-rated), or Eugene in one swoop and then make day trips radiating out from either central location. It actually would save a lot of time compared to setting up camp or getting hotels in different places, and on "off-days" you can really enjoy the local sights and communities.

There is probably more good oceanfront along the Southern Oregon coast than anywhere else.

Heading home via Route 395 on the Eastern side of the Sierras is also pretty nice.

The Dread Pirate Robins
3-Jul-2009, 12:34
This looks very do-able.

Yachats is roughly "Yah-HOTS." Hit the capitalized H hard enough that it is two definite syllables and not a slurred "Yaowts" or something like that.

The Dalles is The Dalles. I'd hit Hood River on the way. It's prettier than The Dalles, and it's not far away. Your drive from Portland to The Dalles is short enough that you'll have some time to hit some other sights along the way, like many in the Columbia Gorge.

There really isn't anywhere close around Crater Lake. I usually camp out at Collier State Park which is toward Chiloquin. If you aren't bringing camping gear that's not really an option. There might be a B&B or something in one of those towns. Sometimes these family run places are both great values and also very difficult to find. There are places to stay at Diamond Lake but it's been years since I have been there and I remember the quarters being a little rough around the edges.

Dennis
3-Jul-2009, 14:16
You could just go to Portland and spend 4 days at the brewers festival drinking some of the best beer in the world and then spend the rest of the time touring all the local brew pubs and just leave the camera gear in the motel room.
Maybe it is just that it is broiling hot here now and who wants to drive on hot freeways or carry camera gear around in this sweaty weather?
Dennis

venchka
3-Jul-2009, 14:28
I'll see your Oregon hot and sweaty and raise you east Texas hot and sweaty.

I win!

The Dread Pirate Robins
3-Jul-2009, 16:00
I'll see your Oregon hot and sweaty and raise you east Texas hot and sweaty.

I win!

Does that mean we get to send your Texas weather back down there?

:) :)

Terry Hull
3-Jul-2009, 17:21
Beer and heat. Sounds like Wrigley Field to me. Thanks again for all the help!

Dennis
3-Jul-2009, 21:49
Beer and heat. Sounds like Wrigley Field to me. Thanks again for all the help!

The beer is really good and the heat is a dry heat. A better idea than it sounds.

Jim Fitzgerald
4-Jul-2009, 10:35
Where's Vaughn?

My dad and I caught a boat load of salmon one morning out of Sekiu, WA.

http://www.sekiu.com/

Heading across country on vacation.

Jim

Terry Hull
9-Aug-2009, 07:23
Thanks to all of you for helping me plan a nice 15 days in Oregon, with a small slice of CA thrown in. I really liked Bandon, Yachats, Newport(old port-in spite of Ripley's B it or not), Portland(Trolley calls me honored citzen-not senior-how great is that?) Lunch at King Estate Winery, Bend(High Desert Museum), Ashland, Nevada City CA (detour on return to Reno -highway 89 closed due to forest fire. In Willow Creek CA we visited a staging area for forest fire fighters, which gave me new understanding of what they do.

Thanks again.

Vaughn
9-Aug-2009, 21:16
Hey, Terry! Glad you had a good time. I was out of town or else would have offered some hospitality in Eureka...left June 27th in the minivan with my wife and my three 12 year old boys for the East Coast and won't be home for another week. My wife got smart and flew home from Dallas, TX on August first...so it is just me and the boys right now (hanging out in San Clemente right now, hitting the waves!)

I fought forest fires with the US Forest Service (among other duties), so I know what that is all about. There is no way to describe the experience of having fire in one's face and attacking it with a shovel that really gets the idea across. Glad you had the chance to get a taste of it there in Willow Creek (they had a real rough time last year, also).

A group of us have started photo workshops in Newport, OR, so hopefully that will be a future destination for many photographers! The Oregon Coast is great!

Vaughn

Terry Hull
10-Aug-2009, 07:32
Good luck with your workshops. Great place to hold them.

tom north
12-Aug-2009, 07:13
Terry,

Washington & Oregon is a good choice. Cannon Beach is typically full of tourist and will be more expensive. I suggest diving south from Coos Bay about 25 min and spending some time around Cape Blanco. Bandon Beach is interesting and Cape Lookout is a beautiful area. Don't forget to stop at the Otis Cafe at Otis Junction on HWY 18 N of Lincoln City for the most unbelievable meal you'll get at a counter. I also highly recommend seeing Mt. St. Helens on the way to Port Townsend.

Best

Tom