PDA

View Full Version : Arca M - F-Metric interchangeability?

John Schneider
1-Jul-2009, 00:10
Is it possible to mount or adapt an M-Line format frame onto an F-Metric function carrier? I can do some machining if required, and if it comes down to it, I can use an older A/B function carrier -- but I'd really like to use it on a F-Metric carrier if possible.

Herb Cunningham
1-Jul-2009, 05:50
Bob Atkinson of Precision Camera is your man. Google Arca and you will find his website and phone, etc. Best to call him, but he does a lot of work on Arca and will know the answer.

Emmanuel BIGLER
1-Jul-2009, 09:01
Is it possible to mount or adapt an M-Line format frame onto an F-Metric function carrier? I

Yes, no problem, but doing so you loose the vertical shift.
There are no sliding parts on a M-line frame. The M-line frame is just a plain rigid frame with the same attachements for lens panels, bellows of ground glass intermediate graflok frames.
But of course you'll keep the geared horizontal shift provided by the F-metric function carrier.

Ling Z
1-Jul-2009, 09:07
Is it possible to mount or adapt an M-Line format frame onto an F-Metric function carrier?

John, I just tried mounting an M-Line format frame on an F-Metric function carrier, and did not see any problem, it works. However, some minor adjustments might be necessary due to manufacturing tolerance. Just send me a PM if you need any further helps. Ling

John Schneider
1-Jul-2009, 09:49
Thank you all for your help. That is good news indeed.

Ling, thank you for your offer of help. The M-Line frame should arrive in a few days, so I'll contact you then if I need help installing it.

I'm also halfway through making a 5x12 frame from two 4x5 F-Classic frames, a project that I began without much thought as to how I was going to attach it to my function carriers. It looks like I'll be able to attach this frame as well to my F-Metric carrier without much trouble; good news again. I'll post some pics of the custom frame when it's finished.