PDA

View Full Version : "Faces of Classical Music" online

William McEwen
27-Jun-2009, 05:35
Eric Rudolph has posted a small feature about my "Faces of Classical Music" project on his bwphotopro site.

http://www.bwphotopro.com/Site/Classical_8x10_B%26W.html

Everything was shot with an 8x10 Wisner TF on Tri-X film and printed on Ilford fiber-base Multigrade.

poco
27-Jun-2009, 05:44
Great concept, though my attention drifted from their "faces" on a couple shots :D

How do you make contact with potential subjects? Do you have connections with a local orchestra or music school?

William McEwen
27-Jun-2009, 06:02
Great concept, though my attention drifted from their "faces" on a couple shots :D

How do you make contact with potential subjects? Do you have connections with a local orchestra or music school?

Thanks, Poco.

No special connections. I invite musicians via snail mail + e-mail.

It's amazing how many of these people know each other. Many times a potential subject will see that I photographed so-and-so, and conclude that I'm probably not an axe-murderer so they say yes to my request.

poco
27-Jun-2009, 06:09
Excellent. Doing that kind of contact work to line things up is a big piece of getting a project off the ground and something I'm unfortunately shy about.

Well done.

William McEwen
27-Jun-2009, 06:13
Excellent. Doing that kind of contact work to line things up is a big piece of getting a project off the ground and something I'm unfortunately shy about.

Well done.

Thanks.

The contact work is VERY time consuming. I spend a lot more time doing that than shooting.

ASRafferty
27-Jun-2009, 12:45
Interesting series, and the one of Leanne Zacharias, the cellist, is simply "above and beyond"... composition is extraordinary. Congratulations!

Helcio J Tagliolatto
27-Jun-2009, 13:00
Congratulations William. Very well done.
It's a dream project for me. I'd tried something like this when living in Manaus. But, as you say, it's very time consuming!