PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Copyright Office

cyrus
17-Jun-2009, 14:54
As you may know you can now register your copyrights online with the US Copyright office. You can submit photos online apparently. It is a bit confusing tho. Anyone used this? How does it work?

http://www.copyright.gov/eco/index.html

Charles Carstensen
17-Jun-2009, 15:31
Works great, takes less time (after a medium sized learning curve) and you can register more images at a time. I make my images to be 600 px in longest direction. Takes a couple of weeks to get approved. I register all images by the quarter, save to a separate file folder on my computer, then zip and upload the whole folder. Files are named by custom name year month in Aperture. Go for it.

cyrus
18-Jun-2009, 09:06
Thanks -- I'm having a hard time figuring out how to submit multiple photos under a single application -- are you supposed to type in a title for each one manually?

QT Luong
18-Jun-2009, 09:39
I don't know if this is necessary, but I provide a file that includes for each image: filename, title (caption), date of first publication.

Charles Carstensen
18-Jun-2009, 11:55
File names are what is important, not the title of the photograph. When uploading many files you need to create a .zip file and upload that sipped file. You have a 60 minute time to upload. That is why I create 600 px files. There is no limit on the munber of files as far as I know. Check this out.

http://www.copyright.gov/eco/faq.html#eCO_2.1

77seriesiii
6-Jul-2009, 12:29
what I didnt see was this: Do I upload individual zip files or zip all the pictures into a single file? I am thinking multiple files but am uncertain. yes I know thinking on my part has gotten me into trouble before...lots of trouble if I must be honest.

erick

Charles Carstensen
6-Jul-2009, 13:43
Zip them all into one file. CO can do the unzip.

77seriesiii
2-Sep-2009, 22:58
ok cool.

For those that have used the service and I know upload speeds vary, roughly how many images do you throw into file when you are uploading to CO? Trying to figure out a baseline number and start playing with it a bit to get our process going.

Thanks

Erick

JohnGC
15-Sep-2009, 14:39
Great info, thanks!