PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco

Peter De Smidt
10-Jun-2009, 05:25
So we just got the green light for my daughter (10) to compete in Judo nationals this summer. Unfortunately, we'll only have one day, sans car, to look around SF. Well, you take what you can get. Anyway, has anyone taken or heard anything about the one day tours? I'm thinking about the "Deluxe SF tour with Muir Woods and Sausalito." http://www.guideyou.com/prod_view.php?prod_idx=8 Any other suggestions?

Bob Salomon
10-Jun-2009, 06:15
Extend the trip and rent a car. One day is far too short a time.

Louie Powell
10-Jun-2009, 06:34
Peter -

I used to do a lot of overseas traveling, and one of the tactics I used in a new city was to take a packaged tour on the first day just to get a sense of what was there, and then go back on my own, on foot, to see the things that I was interested in.

If you can find a packaged tour of San Francisco, that approach would also work well for you.

But if you want to do it on your own, here's what I would suggest -

I assume that your activities will need to appeal to a 10 year old - so I suggest:

1. The Metreon on Market Street. This is an electronics entertainment mall - all kinds of interactive computer games and related shops. Probably best for pre-teen and teen boys, but girls will probably get a kick out of it also.

2. Not far from the Metreon is the Comic Museum. This is a museum that is devoted to newspaper comic strips. When we were last there, they had a show on Peanuts (Charles Schultz lived just north of San Francisco in Santa Rosa).

2. Take the Powell Street cable car from the Market Street terminal to Lombard Street - the street that has all the curves.

3. From there, walk down the hill to Ghiradelli Square/Fisherman's wharf. From there, you could take the ferry to Alcatraz (plan on at least three hours, and you will almost certainly need to book a reservation well in advance to secure spots on the ferry). Or you could just hang out at Fisherman's Wharf. There's usually a lot of street activity going on there, and if you are lucky, you will encounter some seals around some of the piers.

Our son lives in Mountain View, so we get out to San Francisco about once a year. There's a lot to do there - ideally, you should have more time, and probably a car. But if you have to limit yourself to one day, then you need to pick a few major activities.

Darren Kruger
10-Jun-2009, 09:47
If you hit the Fisherman's Wharf area, check out Musee Mecanique (http://www.museemechanique.org/).

If you end up not doing the tour or have some free time and are looking for a SF thing to do, there's the Exploratorium (http://www.exploratorium.edu/) at the Palace of Fine Arts.

FYI: On Thursdays SFMOMA is open till 8:45pm and half price admission from 6pm-close.

-Darren

Peter De Smidt
10-Jun-2009, 09:48
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, more time is not an option. Is Alcatraz worth the trip? How about Muir Woods?

dave wagstaff
10-Jun-2009, 09:49
Peter, if you only have one day makes it kind of hard. It depends on what you like to shoot, city or landscape.

Muir Woods is beautiful (only $5 entry) and if you can make it in the morning is best, nice light. The first part of it is the most scenic, once you get past the creek, to where the paths become trails through the trees, turn around and go back and spend your time elsewhere (you won't miss anything). Time from the GG Bridge to Muir Woods is about 35 minutes.

You can get a great view of the GG Bridge from Fort Baker (on the Marin side) which is right adjacent to Sausalito. I am not a big fan of Sausalito, but I understand its tourist appeal.

Should you have time might I suggest a visit to the Cliff House at Seal Rocks on the beach in SF. You can go in, have a few drinks and enjoy a really great view.

I agree that renting a car would be worth it. North of Marin is Sonoma County and it has spectacular coastal scenery. Whatever you choose; have fun!!

I'm in Marin County so feel free to PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Best,
Dave

Peter De Smidt
10-Jun-2009, 10:16
Thanks Dave!

Unfortunately, this isn't a photography trip. I'll certainly have a camera along, but it's really all about getting Lauren to nationals. She took second last year, and given the structure of the competition, this year will probably be her best chance at winning. If we can fit in a little sightseeing, that would be a nice bonus. Neither of us cares much for shopping.

Louie Powell
10-Jun-2009, 10:52
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, more time is not an option. Is Alcatraz worth the trip? How about Muir Woods?

Alcatraz is a great trip. You don't have infinite control over the time - the boat schedule governs everything, but I think is a great place for both kids and adults. It can be crowded. And the boat leaves from and returns to Fisherman's Wharf which is another great place to wander around and watch people, and there are some good restaurants there.

Muir Woods is fabulous. You can spend as much, or as little time as you want there. You can probably find either a bus tour that includes a stop there, or perhaps your hotel can arrange transportation. Otherwise, it's quite a hike from downtown San Francisco and having a car would be almost essential. And the distance means that you could easily spend more time enroute than you do actually there. It will be crowded in the summer, so I would advise getting there early in the morning.

Other things that might be interesting -

Conservatory of Flowers, Japanese Tea Garden, deYoung Museum, Museum of Science - all in Golden Gate Park

Chinatown - especially if your daughter has had limited exposure to non-English speaking culture, just walking down the street and window shopping can be an experience.

Hiro
10-Jun-2009, 13:20
I took a tour just like it (city + Muir Woods) on my first visit to SF. The tour was operated by Gray Line (the one with brochures/tour desk in hotel lobbies), and was very enjoyable and comfortable.

It was about 15 years ago, but I'd definitely consider one of those tours today if I had only one day in SF (particularly with a 10-year-old without a car). Tours/itineraries in the link are similar to what I remember. It's only that the prices seem to have increased quite a bit.

windpointphoto
10-Jun-2009, 17:30
Muir Woods in the AM, Golden Gate Park in the afternoon, or a drive up or down the coast and eating at Fisherman's Grotto at Fishermans Wharf for dinner! An evening stroll around the wharf area.

John Kasaian
10-Jun-2009, 20:34
Not a photography trip?

My favorite Saturday in SF "street hike" is
1. Get up around 5:00 AM, park at Presidio Green (used to be Crissy Field. I guess the Frisco-ites don't give a rip for Crissy anymore)

2. Walk along the waterfront and grab a cup of coffee at the 24 hour Safeway across the street.

3 Go uphill past, I think Galileo High School to Lombard St. ---the curvey part---walk down (no traffic at this hour) eventually you'll run into Columbus St.. Head SW down Columbus past two beautiful old churches, St.s Peter and Paul on Washington Square and the Shrine of St. Francis.

4 Cut over to Grant Street and Chinatown. The grocers will be just starting to get thier produce delivered. Lots of very interesting things to look at here! Sample a fresh almond cookie from one of the bakeries.

5 Keep going South past another neat old church, Old St. Mary's, through the Chinese gateway and into the financial district, past notorious Maiden Lane and all the way to Market Street. Lots tempting bakeries along here if your hungry, but wait!

6 Head East to Justin Herman Plaza. Across the Embarcadero is the Farmer's Market at the Ferry Terminal. Hungry? Lots of good stuff the eat here!

7 Follow the Embarcadero N till you get to the E side of Telegraph Hill. Find a municipal staircase and climb up to the top for a spectacular view of the bay and Coit Tower. If Coit Tower is open, climb some more!

8 Descend Telegraph Hill on the E side. It will take you back to Upper Grant Street.

9 Make your way N to Fisherman's Wharf. Follow the waterfront W past the Maritime Museum and follow the path that winds up the bluff to the Ft. Mason Officer's Club, with the lovely view of the old Ft. Mason Quartermaster Corps wharf through the trees. That will take you back to Crissy Fi...errr Presidio Green with plenty of time to look for a nice place to have lunch (the 24 hour Safeway as a deli that makes sandwiches and there's that view of the Quartermaster Wharf for a place to picnic, or you can go back to Fisherman's Wharf and any number of tourist traps, but my favorite is Boudin's Bakery with a cold Anchor Steam Beer to wash it all down)

NikNak
11-Jun-2009, 01:54
Muir woods is a nice day out. Nothing really prepares your mind for how big some of those trees are until you stand under them. I've never used it but I think there is a good bus service to the Golden Gate National Recreational Area and Muir woods from the city. That might let you be a bit more flexible and relaxed. Although I'm sure my wife would prefer an organised trip than rely on me catching busses :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60909-i2670-k1283498-Public_Transportation_from_San_Francisco_to_Muir_Woods-Mill_Valley_Marin_County_California.html

http://goldengate.org/news/transit/muirwoods.php

http://www.sanfranshuttletours.com/muir_woods_tours.htm?gclid=CMei05LkgZsCFZkA4wodjgl0sA

If you can get a car then a slightly different day out is Ano Nuevo State Park. It's one of my best memories from working in California. It's also amazing how many Californians I've spoken to that don't know about it.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523
But check the web site as they keep you much further back when the big male Seals are there.

Nick

brianam
18-Jun-2009, 16:29
lotta great photo suggestions in there for you, but many will be hard to pull off with so little time huh? not to mention yours being "not a photography trip."

In that case, why not go see some great photography? SF MOMA was mentioned already, the de Young in GG Park should be seen (even if only for the architecture) and they have decent photographic exhibitions at times; the Legion of Honour museum as well.
But beyond all that, assuming you'll be downtown at some point, just pop into 49 Geary where there are a passle of first rate galleries, including the Scott Nichols and Frankel galleries. Gallery 291 (Union Square, 291 Geary) as well.

Hope you have fun here in the city that adopted me 10 years ago. :-) Whenever I leave town for a while and return, I'm reminded how beautiful it is here.

Peter De Smidt
18-Jun-2009, 17:12
Looks like we'll have most of the day on Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday to tour around. I'll certainly have a camera along. We might rent a car on Monday. Can anyone suggest a route? Perhaps up the coast? Our flight isn't that night until 11 pm.

How about Chinatown. Anyone have a favorite restaurant?

We'll definitely check out one of the museums.

ric_kb
19-Jun-2009, 10:36
L

How about Chinatown. Anyone have a favorite restaurant?

Try Sam Woh's (813 Washington Street)... use google maps and set to street view for a picture.... You will walk thru the kitchen to go to the upstairs dining. Food is fast and cheap .... service is notorious. In the old days "Sam" would seat you based upon the "look" of your date (wife?) He has died and so have most of those days. Cash only. Low price... Alternate eats are pick up pork buns or such and take to Vesuvio(255 columbus). Upstairs with an anchor steam. Try to keep your pants on, some of us are still reading...

Peter De Smidt
8-Jul-2009, 16:51
For a day trip by car, would it be better to head north or south along the coast from SF?

John Kasaian
8-Jul-2009, 17:13
North! Redwoods & wineries. The wineries are a bit pretentious IMHO but the redwoods are very nice.

South is Santa Cruz and it's Board Walk but traffic there is terrible and you'll likely spend more time in grid-lock than breathing the salt air. Of course Palomar does have the best prawn burrito in the known galaxy. It could be worth a trip to Santa Cruz if only to experience their prawn burrito! Big Sur is too far, IMHO for a day trip from SF and in Summer the weather can be foggy until noon-ish.

Darren Kruger
8-Jul-2009, 17:37
For a day trip by car, would it be better to head north or south along the coast from SF?

Depends on what you want to see & do and how far you want to go. Heading north you have the Golden Gate Bridge, the Marin Headlands (http://www.nps.gov/goga/marin-headlands.htm), Stinson Beach, Muir Woods (http://www.nps.gov/muwo), and Point Reyes (http://www.nps.gov/pore). Going south you have the Pigeon Point Lighthouse (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=533), Big Basin Redwood State Park (http://www.bigbasin.org/), and Santa Cruz (and visit the boardwalk (http://www.beachboardwalk.com/).)

Going south there are lots of little beaches along the way in case you want to stop and take photos or wet your feet. Not sure if that is the same going north.

Google says SF to Santa Cruz is two hours driving south on CA Highway 1. From Santa Cruz it is roughly another hour south to get to Monterey and Carmel. Further south is Big Sur and eventually Hearst Castle (http://www.hearst-castle.org/).

Highway 1 hugs the coast in both directions. I seem to remember it having more curves north of SF till Point Reyes as compared to south of SF. In both cases Highway 1 will have good views of the ocean unless the fog is around, which it commonly is during the summer.

-Darren

Peter De Smidt
14-Jul-2009, 07:51
Thanks to all who gave advice. We had a great trip. If someone else is visiting SF, I highly recommend the House of Nanking in China Town.

Tony Karnezis
14-Jul-2009, 08:57
That's great. How did your daughter do?

Peter De Smidt
14-Jul-2009, 11:20
She had some tough competition this year and didn't place. The first person she fought took first. (Last year Lauren took second.)

She used a film camera for the first time on this trip, a Voightlander Vitomatic II from about 1960, which I just had overhauled. She liked it, and the pictures look pretty good. After she gets comfortable with the Vito, she can move on to a Rollei, and then who knows?