PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a 130-megapixel camera for 50 bucks?

Colin Corneau
9-Jun-2009, 16:43
http://www.bouncingredball.com/2009/05/30/japanese-camera-buff-builds-130-megapixel-scanner-camera-for-next-to-nothing/

Gary Nylander
12-Jun-2009, 18:34
I had a look at the link, that is just incredible, a little hard to pack around though !

Athiril
15-Jun-2009, 21:47
A single shot with that lens would out resolve that scanner image, albeit at a smaller field of view.

Though still damn impressive :)

I've toyed with the idea of something similar, but with a non-moving LF lens.

AFSmithphoto
16-Jun-2009, 14:48
Thats great and all, but how could you possibly see what your composition is BEFORE you take the shot?

Dan Fromm
16-Jun-2009, 15:54
Thats great and all, but how could you possibly see what your composition is BEFORE you take the shot?Hmm. Along these lines, how did people manage to compose with the humble Box Brownie?

Athiril
16-Jun-2009, 21:26
Thats great and all, but how could you possibly see what your composition is BEFORE you take the shot?

Low res preview scan :)

Ash
17-Jun-2009, 05:08
I want to build one for medium format. See if I can make a scanning back for my SWC.

That would be awesome, since most of the time the SWC is on a tripod anyway.

Ash
17-Jun-2009, 05:32
Quick research maybe something like this would be good for a cheapo project. "Up to 4x6" means perfect for 5x4 http://www.pandigital.net/storesales/77 - " 1800 x 1200 @ 4x6 photo scan (image); 300 x300 dpi (optical) " is a bit rubbish but the built-in memory card looks good for being portable.

Athiril
18-Jun-2009, 01:00
" Sheet Feed Type "

You'd need to still rip it apart, but I guess you could hook the paper feed rollers onto something to pull the scanner across the back.

Im sure at only 300dpi resolution the lenses achieve full resolution in the scanner, so no need to rip em out, prolly can just scan the ground glass :)

Ash
18-Jun-2009, 03:38
Athiril if you'd have checked the link you'll find that the scanner in the OP is ripped apart as well.

Athiril
18-Jun-2009, 04:06
Athiril if you'd have checked the link you'll find that the scanner in the OP is ripped apart as well.

If youd have checked the link you'll find that the scanner in the OP drives its across the scan area.

Depending on the pickup device in that scanner, it may or not may not work assuming you get registration and if you do or do not remove the lens array (likely to be a pinhole array) whether to capture the projected image directly from the lens (removed) or scan the ground glass (not removed).

Also disabling/removing the internal light can cause a lot of problems, as scanners often use it to calibrate and wont scan without it.

You may also find you'd get a scan of what looks like interlaced lines of colour.

Jim Michael
18-Jun-2009, 04:31
I recall someone building one of these years ago and I thought he had patented it at the time.