PDA

View Full Version : Silverfast SE 48 bit problem

Charles Boileau
8-Jun-2009, 11:30
Hi,

So I recently got a V700 and I've been messing around with Silverfast SE in order to get used to the software. I've encountered a few problems that I have been able to resolve.

One problem is persisting: It seems I can do HDR 48 bit RAW (blah blah blah) scans, which would be great as I am used to working with raw data. So when I scan my 4x5 negative something odd happens, it opens up as a negative image in photoshop.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Is it supposed to be like this? Am I missing something? Should I upgrade to a different software?

Thanks!

Gem Singer
8-Jun-2009, 12:23
I am also using Silverfast-SE to scan my 4X5, 5X7, and 8X10 negatives.

Scanning as a transparency- negative. The pre-scan comes up as a positive image on the computer screen. However, the final scan opens as a negative on the screen as well as in Photoshop.

That's exactly what the scanner saw on the glass.

It doesn't seem to matter whether it's scanned at 1200, 2400, or 4800 dpi. The resulting scan is always a negative, which is easily inverted to a positive in Photoshop.

I was told that is normal for Silverfast-SE.

SharpLiz
9-Jun-2009, 03:59
... So when I scan my 4x5 negative something odd happens, it opens up as a negative image in photoshop.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Is it supposed to be like this? ...

Hi Charles,
here's a quick guide on how to scan negatives (to positives) with SilverFast.
This should help: http://www.silverfast.com/show/negafixguide/en.html

(You'll find other helpful links on that site, movies, tutorials, etc.)

best
liz

Charles Boileau
9-Jun-2009, 04:48
That's fine, I've been using negafix and it works fine with 48 --- 24 bit images.

But when you straight scan in 48bit it comes out in negative form, independent of tge negafix or general settings.

I don't understand is why they do this. I'll post an image so you can see.

Thanks

Tyler Boley
9-Jun-2009, 09:48
HDR is always the raw data off the scanner. Whether scanned as neg or positive, it has not yet had anything done to it at all, in any scan mode. So, if you want it to be inverted and treated as a neg, you must either then process that file back through negafix with Silverfast as a stand alone app, or any other image editing software and that inverts it or allows you to invert it, as well as further editing.
You are seeing perfectly normal results, as the software intends. The previews showing you the inverted image are showing you what you would be getting in any mode OTHER than HDR.
If you want to have high bit scans from negs come in inverted and processed with negafix as you see in the preview, you must select scan type 48 bit color, NOT 48 bit HDR color.
Hope that helps.
Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/