PDA

View Full Version : Budget Scanner for Mac

alanps
6-Jun-2009, 09:26
I have given up on my Epson scanner as after numerous attempts to get it to work with newer versions of OSX.

Long and short of it - I need to buy a new scanner, but I am on a tight budget...

I need to scan prints up to 10x8 - and negs/transparencies from 35mm through 120 to 5x4.....

Figuring the 5x4 is the problem - but any and all advice much appreciated.

Best
Alan

Ash
6-Jun-2009, 13:13
Epson V700 software has worked fine with my new 10.4 mac

Joanna Carter
6-Jun-2009, 13:54
I have given up on my Epson scanner as after numerous attempts to get it to work with newer versions of OSX
I gather from your previous postings that you have an Epson 3170 scanner. What version of OS X are you running and on what hardware? And what version of the Epson driver are you using?

I need to scan prints up to 10x8 - and negs/transparencies from 35mm through 120 to 5x4.....

Figuring the 5x4 is the problem - but any and all advice much appreciated.
Well, the 3170 is not designed to scan 5x4, so you would have to do something to address that problem, regardless of whether the 3170 software works for smaller sizes.

SamReeves
6-Jun-2009, 14:59
ScanMaker i800 is pretty cheap, and the one I use for the 4x5 film scans. It needs a little tweaking with the color profiles on Vue Scan, but otherwise does a bang up job. :)

alanps
9-Jun-2009, 13:12
Many thanks for the response. I am running OSX 10.4.11 on a Mac with Intel core 2 duo. The software for the Epson 3170 is Epson V2.77 A.

The problem is that the scanner goes into warm up mode, and just keeps warming up - never actually does anything. It will work for prints - but when I try and scan transparencies (with the internal reflector) removed -it never get's beyond warm up.