PDA

View Full Version : Beseler 4x5 questions

Fotch
3-Jun-2009, 21:10
#1. Is there any difference in heads between the CB7 and the 45M series regarding fit? Another words, will a color head from a 45M series fit a CB7?

#2. Are the elevation motors of all the 45 series (M, MX, etc. CB7,CB-7) interchangeable?

I just purchased a CB7 (no head) for $1 and will pick it up in a few days.

I may also be getting a newer 45 (than what I have) with bad motor and would like to swap motors and use it.

Thank you in advance for any light you can share.

dsphotog
3-Jun-2009, 21:24
1)The 45M head mount is slightly smaller than the hole in the CB7,
It will set into it & work.
2) Not sure about the motors...I've never seen a bad motor in a Beseler, there are a few things that might need attn...Just get it & find out!
edit..
I just looked at my M's, the elevation motors all look the same.
The CB-7 is not the same AFAIK, (without doing some disassy)
You may PM me if you need help
David Silva
4-various 45M's, 1 CB-7, 1 57 Beseler enlarger

dsphotog
3-Jun-2009, 23:15
A secret....
Aristo coldlight heads sold for the CB-7, were actually made to fit 45M's & Omega D's....But came with an adapter ring that allows 45m heads to mount on a CB-7!

CB-7 is a great enlarger. I like that it uses the same carriers & lensboards as the 45's,
Power focus is cool too!

Fotch
4-Jun-2009, 09:44
Thanks David. I could of (should of?) bid on the Color Head that was on it, it sold for around $40 but I already have several color heads and thought I can adapt one I have to fit if that is what I want. I may mount my cold light head to it however, never used it and don't know if that is what I want to do.

Anyway, the CB7 was to good to pass up, and I will be picking up today or tomorrow.

Again, thank you for your help.

Jim

Fotch
27-Jun-2009, 18:06
I picked up the enlarger some time ago, just did not have time to examine my new prize or reply further. The CB-7 is just awesome and must weigh 3 times more than the MX series.

The transformer/voltage regulator just hums, but doesn't work. The seller warned be of that. Not a problem, I bypassed it and set it aside for a later inspection.

The timer and voltmeter work and I like how everything is controlled from up front including focusing. I see no problem adapting any head I have to the CB-7. I have electronic timers that I like but not sure if I want to bypass the mechanical timer of the CB-7, especially if I lose its feature of being controlled from the baseboard.

The seller also gave me a like new 45 MXT without head or lens board adapter. He had sold the 3 lens turret and condenser head to other parties and the person who won this could not pick it up (1000 miles away) and should not of bid as the seller stated in the ad, pick up only. The winning bid was only $1.

The adapter will be needed to mount the regular boards. So after I find a reasonable lens adapter or make one, I may retire my original 1950ish MX (the one with the struts out front) with this one.

Anyway, I think the CB-7 may be my main enlarger. I am in enlarger heaven.

jp
27-Jun-2009, 19:28
The motorized stuff is cool, but I'm wondering if there is a way to disengage the focusing motor so it could be easily focused by hand. The focusing knob seems to be directly connected to the focusing motor; you spin the knob, you hear/feel the resistance as if you were rotating a motor shaft.

I'm setting up a cb7 right now. It's fully working, but I have to build a stand/table for it in my darkroom. Enlarger+accessories+shipping pallet was 150lbs. It was on ebay for a month at $250 buy it now, but nobody was biting. the seller reduced it to $210 or so when there was a day left, and I bought it. I don't mind paying a little extra for something that's fully working, especially considering the original cost. It came with a dichroic head, which is just what I wanted.

I'll likely keep my Omega Chromega-B dichroic medium format enlarger too for 35mm stuff. It's a whole different animal; light, fast to adjust, but still high quality hardware.
I like forward to comparing their usability.