PDA

View Full Version : Broncolor / Gossen measuring-cassette

boris
3-Jun-2009, 06:31
i bought a broncolor CLM light meter with an external sensor. i will need a measuring cassette to put the meter to work. some questions:
1. are the gossen measurig cassettes equal to the broncolor?
2. did broncolor produced a 5x7 cassette?
3. is it possible to clone a measuring cassette ? any ideas?

any additional information on the TTL system is much appreciated.

boris

Sevo
3-Jun-2009, 07:48
i bought a broncolor CLM light meter with an external sensor. i will need a measuring cassette to put the meter to work. some questions:
1. are the gossen measurig cassettes equal to the broncolor?
2. did broncolor produced a 5x7 cassette?
3. is it possible to clone a measuring cassette ? any ideas?

any additional information on the TTL system is much appreciated.

boris

The booster size is the same (they were designed to fit the sinar backs with booster gate) - at any rate I've never seen any which were too short for 5x7 (though some variations would not cover all of 8x10). 5x7 (or at least 13x18) cassettes obviously existed - a sinar booster 1 complete with 5x7 cassette is currently on ebay (220420040459).

A carpenter should not need more than an hour or two to convert a plastics/wood film holder or two into a improvised booster cassette - it does not take anything more than splitting the holder apart, reaming out the wood core and a slit at the top and reglueing the thing, if a simplified version with velvet or foam sealing is good enough.

At a pinch you can make do without a cassette or booster back, and simply slide in the booster in place of a film holder - I've always done so on the road as the bulge on the booster back did not fit my case, and apart from some scratches on the GG it never caused any problems.

Sevo

boris
4-Jun-2009, 04:40
hi sevo,

i never saw a measuring cassette, but i know that the measuring cassette had a mechnism for locking down the sensor of the light meter. it's not a problem to get the sensor in place, but i would like to lock it down also. could somebody explain the locking system on these cassettes?
thanks boris

Sevo
4-Jun-2009, 05:19
The mechanism on the cassettes (at any rate the most common ones - precursors date back to the sixties or earlier and may differ) is quite similar to that used on the sinar metering back frames.

The probe is inserted through a tight fitting cutout in a 90° revolving circular plastics disk, so that the sensor window can be placed anywhere across the image by rotational movements around the disk pivot and sliding the probe in and out. The entire combination is friction locked with a lever which clamps down the two disk halves and the probe.

amoebahyda
9-Jun-2009, 08:45
I am using two type of TTL metering methods for Large Format photography...

1) Average metering using Horseman Exposure Meter 4x5, a large CdS sensor area (4x5") meter.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm100/amoebahydra/Photo%20Equipment/L1403820.jpg

2) Spot metering with Sinar Booster 1 using with Minolta Flashmeter IV. A Gossen metering cassette is use with Booster 1, it provides viewing cabability for the actual area measured at the tip of the sensor rod; when sensor rod is switched on the silicon blue cell will protrude to the meter area.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm100/amoebahydra/Photo%20Equipment/L1403821.jpg

3) Also spot metering with the Sinar Expolux System, the Expolux Booster is connected to a dedicated handheld computer, multiple exposure measurement can be made and the computer will calculate the exposure required by averaging out the measurement (usually brightest and darkest area that need details); the system automatically take exposure based on the measured result and data of lenses and films (automatically take care of reciprocal failure) stored in the computer.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm100/amoebahydra/Photo%20Equipment/SinarP2.jpg

mrpengun
16-Jun-2009, 19:18
hi sevo,

i never saw a measuring cassette, but i know that the measuring cassette had a mechnism for locking down the sensor of the light meter. it's not a problem to get the sensor in place, but i would like to lock it down also. could somebody explain the locking system on these cassettes?
thanks boris

I have one of the Sinarsix/Gossen meters w/ the cassettes-- I have also seen the cassettes on various used online places for next to nothing. Failing that, I can send you a picture of how mine locks down if you want.
By that same token, though, do you have a scanned copy of the Gossen meter instructions? I am at a loss as to how the thing actually works. :-)
(Also, I'm busy and won't be able to get a picture till next week; but it is pretty much a simple slot with a locking pivot in the middle of a film-holder-like device.)

boris
17-Jun-2009, 05:44
sorry but i have a broncolor lightmeter...
i am sure you can get a copy from gossen if you mail them. that's what i did with the broncolor an got a copy in 12 hours !!
and yes, i would like to see a picture of the locking device. you could post in the forum, so the generations to come will know it too.:D
cheers boris