PDA

View Full Version : Razzle lens options

J Maxwell
31-May-2009, 15:50
Does anyone know if the "Razzle" comes in a version that will allow the interchangeable use of BOTH a Super Angulon 5.6/90mm AND a Rodenstock Sironar-S 135mm?
Thanks!

ki6mf
31-May-2009, 16:26
They showed an inter-changable camera last year on the web site. I don't know on your specific lenses. Check if they will do a special order. They tend to be slow on responding.

Oren Grad
31-May-2009, 17:28
You can only get rangefinder coupling for one lens at a time. You'd need an auxiliary viewfinder as well.

deadpan
31-May-2009, 22:04
You can only get rangefinder coupling for one lens at a time. You'd need an auxiliary viewfinder as well.

Dean can occasionally be slow at responding...but I think that comes with the territory for a one man operation (he must get loads of emails), and he is always really helpful. I had 2 Razzles...one with the std. 127 lens, and one with a 150mm. Oren Grad is right though...the camera is set up to couple with one lens alone afaik. Also, the front std. on the 110b would be fiddley to mount and unmount lenses all the time. I think the strength of the razzle is that it is extremely compact rather than being quite as versatile as other lf cameras. There are a few documentary photographers out there who use 2 razzles - one with a std. lens, and one with a wide. That is probably the most viable option.

EDIT...It's Noah that made the camera with the inter-changeable lenses:
http://photo.net/photos/Camera%20Conjurer

Mick Fagan
1-Jun-2009, 05:52
As a Razzle owner and having met Dean as we live in the same city, I'm sure he could modify something to your wishes, somehow.

That said I don't think it would be a viable option to be running around with a hand held camera like the Razzle and changing lenses and/or cams on the run. I'm sure it could be done, but my experience is that you wouldn't want to do it.

Something to think about is weight, these things are not exactly light and ergonomics are not their strong point.

Yes dean is sort of busy, not only does he modify and manufacture all sorts of things photographic, he also works in a camera store and a few weeks ago I attended the opening night of an exhibition of his photography, half of which was undertaken with his personal Razzle camera.

Plus I'm sure he sometimes has time off for his other interests in life, which appear to be varied and many.

My own Razzle is equipped with the small Fuji 150, this is small enough that the camera can be folded with the lens complete. Some owners have largish lenses inserted, these require the removal of the front element(s) or something like that for the camera to be folded.

With a Grafmatic back locked on the back of the camera, and I mean locked, these are a joy to use, you are able to burn film easily, quickly and accurately.

But they are heavy, especially after about 2 hours of walking around with one in your hands!

Mick.

J Maxwell
1-Jun-2009, 14:37
Thank you all for the very helpful information. This is indeed a great forum. I'm already planning to get the Walker Titan 45 XL for landscape travel around California and will now likely add one Razzle 110b for street shooting. Thanks again for the tips, and happy shooting!

Bob Salomon
1-Jun-2009, 14:39
Thank you all for the very helpful information. This is indeed a great forum. I'm already planning to get the Walker Titan 45 XL for landscape travel around California and will now likely add one Razzle 110b for street shooting. Thanks again for the tips, and happy shooting!

Why not use a Master Technika and do both?

nelson_chan
1-Jun-2009, 18:10
I have a Sironar S 150mm with my Razzle 900. It's able to close up fully without taking the front element off because the 900 has a deeper front cavity than the 110B. Dean has an options page on his site that talks about the lens options for his cameras. I for one am a big fan of his cameras. I have been shooting my family with an 8x10 for the past few years now but was afforded this photograph of my father because the Razzle was so easily maneuverable. I'm extremely happy that I have the photograph archived on a tack sharp 4x5 neg. This was hand held at a 15th or 30th.

Nelson

www.nelsonchanphotography.com

Gordon Flodders
5-Jun-2009, 00:57
LF cameras are generally much heavier than a Canon 1Dmk2 (1.6 kgs) which is exactly the same weight as my Razzle 110B and ergonomics are definitely superior to the Canon :p