PDA

View Full Version : double sheet readyloads and single sheet polaroid film questions

vinny
29-May-2009, 17:18
I've searched the archives here and found little on this subject. Lets say I've got some old double sheet readyloads in the freezer. I've shot some in my 545i holder but haven't processed them yet. Why were these discontinued? Was the addition of the paper thickness between the film sheets an issue? I looked at one packed while in the 545 holder and it seems that one sheet is flatter than the other when the film is exposed. I realize that the 545 doesn't have a pressure plate like the readyload holders had. Would there be any point in searching for a double sheet readyload holder?

I also have some boxes Polaroid single sheet E-6 T64 from the 80's. Is this actually a kodak film?

thanks
vinny

Drew Wiley
29-May-2009, 20:08
The double-sheet packs fit just fine in 545 holders but were infamous for light leaks. Maybe only 10% of the time you'd have a problem, but what if the spoiled
shot happened to be the important one? For the sixty or so bucks that a new box of
Neopan Quickloads cost, why take the gamble? I'd toss the old film. Already had more than my fair share of disappointments with the double version. Thickness was
a secondary issue, but real too. The 545 holders vary in terms of how flat they hold
film, but are generally better than the dedicated Quickload or Readyload holders, which are always off at the insertion edge. However, you can remove the heavy
rollers from inside the 545 for these kind of filmpacks - you only needed them for
the very earliest type of paper holder which used adhesive rather than a clip.

Gordon Moat
30-May-2009, 10:53
I have two of the old double sheet Readyload holders. I've never used them, though the pressure plate still have spring tension on each one.

vinny
30-May-2009, 13:27
Gordon, I may be interested in one if this film is okay.

Gordon Moat
30-May-2009, 17:25
Okay, I just did a search through the office, and I now have both of those on my desk. They are the type III style with metal pressure plate (not black), and they have those yellow stripes on the label. So if you want them, they are available.

vinny
2-Jun-2009, 23:09
Gordon, I'll keep that in mind.

Can anyone answer my questions?

Doremus Scudder
3-Jun-2009, 01:47
Vinny,

I'll try... First, double-sided Readyloads were discontinued due to light-leak problems and other inconsistencies. It was often difficult to get the paper envelope to re-seat in the metal clip after exposing. Many of us had self-invented routines to accomplish this (push in, pull out a little, slam back in, repeat...). That said, I found the 2-sided Readyloads reliable enough. At any rate, they were replaced by the one-sided Readyloads, which were supposedly more reliable. These were discontinued when Polaroid went belly-up; Kodak had outsourced the manufacture of the Readyloads to them, and when they were no longer around, there was no one with the packaging technology (except Fuji...) to profitably take over manufacture.

It is my understanding that the Polaroid holders do not hold the film as flat as the dedicated Readyload holders. This is only second-hand, since I have no personal experience shooting Readyloads in the Polaroid holder.

I also have two-sided Readyloads (TMax) that I am still shooting on occasion with the dedicated holder. Although the film is outdated, it performs just fine, it's just that I don't shoot this film very much. I down to my last three boxes.

Finally, here's my advice: If you feel confident handling the Readyloads (i.e., that you can get the envelopes to re-seat consistently and find operation smooth), there is no reason why you should not shoot them. If you have a lot of film, it would be worth picking up a dedicated holder, especially since they are available for next to nothing now. (In fact, you can probably find someone here who would be willing to part with one for shipping costs.) If you only have a few, and your results with the Polaroid holder are acceptable, then just use it.

Best and good luck

Doremus Scudder