PDA

View Full Version : Tioga Pass to Open 5/20

Keith S. Walklet
19-May-2009, 15:32
I just received notice that the Tioga Road between Lee Vining and Crane Flat is scheduled to open on the 20th. Services won't be operational for another couple weeks, but the gas station at Tuolumne will be operational for credit card purchases.

The opening is in line with when NPS hopes to have the road open. The Glacier Point Road already was open the first week in May.

Vaughn
19-May-2009, 16:33
This will make the businesses in Lee Vining pleased. It is one of those situations where one is glad for the access, but still wishes there was enough snow to keep the pass closed until mid-June, or even later.

Tuolumne will be beautiful...

Vaughn

Preston
19-May-2009, 16:49
Just to add...

Sonora Pass (9,640 ft.) on CA 108 is open, as well. If you've not been there, you're in for a treat.

It's time to hit the High Country!

-Preston

John Kasaian
19-May-2009, 19:37
Ahhh, I hear The Whoa Nellie Deli calling me...mango margaritas--yum! :D

tgtaylor
20-May-2009, 09:17
I was in Yosemite Valley last weekend photograping the less well known waterfalls: Wildcat, Foresta, Little Nellie, etc., and the mosquitoes were out in force so don't forget the deet.

Keith S. Walklet
20-May-2009, 09:29
Those are some pretty falls. Did you by any chance pick up a copy of Mike Osbourne's new book waterfall book, Granite, Water and Light? He has some really striking images of lesser known falls.

tgtaylor
20-May-2009, 12:58
Those are some pretty falls. Did you by any chance pick up a copy of Mike Osbourne's new book waterfall book, Granite, Water and Light? He has some really striking images of lesser known falls.

Pretty they are and, except for the Cascades which drew a hand full of people, completely deserted - no one around to get in your light. The park, BTW, was packed last weekend and it will be even worse this weekend.

I haven't seen the book mentioned above but have made a note to check it out.

Vaughn
20-May-2009, 13:39
I was in Yosemite Valley last weekend photograping the less well known waterfalls: Wildcat, Foresta, Little Nellie, etc., and the mosquitoes were out in force so don't forget the deet.

After my workshop a few week-ends ago, to decompress and to escape the hoards (people, not mosquitoes), I hiked/climbed to the base of a seasonal, unnamed falls just west of Sentinel Falls. The 8x10 had me breathing hard, but it was worth it. It is not too hard to escape the hoards (people, not mosquitoes), and even easier when the pass opens up (and one might even escape the mossies in the higher elevations!)

I'll have to check out Mike's book and visit some other falls, but it is always nice to "discover" them on one's own by wandering around and stumbling across them.

Vaughn

Keith S. Walklet
20-May-2009, 16:14
The park, BTW, was packed last weekend and it will be even worse this weekend.

It was the same case the weekend of the 10th. I can't recall it being that busy that early in the season. Our group escaped to Glacier Point and from there I could see that traffic was backed up to Curry Village around 6 pm. But, it was also easy to see what brought the people up to the park. The falls were at their best, dogwood was peaking, fresh leaves on the trees...

I hiked/climbed to the base of a seasonal, unnamed falls just west of Sentinel Falls.
I had my eye on that fall. It was really looking good two weeks ago. I've made that hike before. I thought there would be a pool at the base of Sentinel. No such luck, but it was a pretty view. Did you go up the 4-mile and across or follow the creek up?

The best thing about Mike's book is that in addition to classic views of the falls, he has some really special abstractions, not just details, but broad views with such unusual perspectives. Really neat, and really well written.

John Kasaian
20-May-2009, 21:10
Preston, there is an interesting waterfall on the Sonora Pass road, just West of where the highway crosses over the summit, It is a steep slope and the heavy run off makes like waterwheels going down the mountain side.

I've never been able to find what it's name is---by any chance, do you know the one I'm talking about?

Vaughn
21-May-2009, 07:12
I had my eye on that fall. It was really looking good two weeks ago. I've made that hike before. I thought there would be a pool at the base of Sentinel. No such luck, but it was a pretty view. Did you go up the 4-mile and across or follow the creek up?

Driving out of the park from the Village, I parked just past the turn-off for Sentinel Beach (where the road widens for parking -- this is when the road on the other side of the valley was closed to traffic). Then I headed towards the falls and eventually hit the creek from the falls high up the slope on its west side. I crossed the creek not fall from the falls. The creek from the falls does not go into Sentinel Creek as far as I could tell...but it may have.

A great view from there. I leveled my 8x10 and sighted along it...it looks like my elevation was about the same as the top of the middle Yosemite Falls. It was great checking out all the falls coming off the other side of the Valley. I should have made my way east to Sentinel Falls, but I was not all that sure it was possible. I was relunctant (lazy) to do too much extra rough-country stuff hauling my 60 pounds of 8x10. I should have worn my leather hiking boots instead of my lighter pair. Perhaps next Spring! My negs from there are not working out too well, so I have an excuse to go up there again!

I found an old Native American medicine bowl on my way across the Valley floor heading to the Falls. It was carved out of a piece of round granite. It was amazing to hold...I put it back where I found it. I am hoping it will still be there the next time I take my kids. I let the Park know about it and also the folks at the Native American Museum there in the Park. If they have not collected it, it still should be there. It is one thing to see something like that in the museum, it is a whole other thing to find one in place (the museum has two..one out of soapstone and another that may also be granite.)

Vaughn

Drew Wiley
21-May-2009, 10:06
John - if the falls you are referring to are on the west side of Sonora Pass rather than
the east, that would be the outlet of Blue Canyon. As a matter of sensitivity, those of
you who might wander up into such places please refrain from publishing the specific location on your pictures. I know this area quite well and the last thing any of us want
is it becoming a popular photographers destination or being publisized in a magazine or
hikers guide. The ecology of the upper canyon is quite fragile and there is no official
trail. If you are interested in specifics sent me a PM.

Keith S. Walklet
21-May-2009, 10:47
Then I headed towards the falls and eventually hit the creek from the falls high up the slope on its west side. I crossed the creek not fall from the falls. The creek from the falls does not go into Sentinel Creek as far as I could tell...but it may have.

I've did much the same on my early explorations of that area, then discovered that the 4-mile trail gets one up to the same elevation and it is possible to cut laterally across the talus (not fun, but neither is climbing it). Sentinel Creek cuts a very deep gorge in the debris, and would need to be climbed into and out of to get across to the second fall. Agreed, the views are sublime from up there, and of course, you are all alone.

Neat about the grinding rock! I've seen plenty of mortar holes throughout the valley (always in the best spots) but never a free standing one.