PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Beseler 4x5 Enlarger ?

gdi
15-May-2009, 03:12
I plan to go look at a Beseler 4x5 enlarger w/condenser and color heads, carriers and a couple of lenses. I am not sure of a price range. The owner is not sure of the model number yet (in storage) but has the black crinkle paint and a motorized base.

Assuming it is the low end model, what price should I consider offering? His asking price is $400. It sounds quite high to me (the newb, of course!), what is a good deal? I have looked around and can't really find a cohesive list of models/eras.

Also there is a "pragmatic" processor available as well - anyone have any experience with those? Do they use standard chemicals?

Thanks for the help.

Bob Salomon
15-May-2009, 03:18
They don't use any chemicals. Just a piece of film and a negative carrier for it.

Frank Bagbey
15-May-2009, 03:25
Unless it is a really old unit, try to get the price down a bit, but consider yourself lucky if it has some great high quality lenses with it. For a lifetime purchase, what is 400 dollars? Most of my enlargers have not cost me fifty cents a year, if you want to look at it that way.

Kevin Crisp
15-May-2009, 06:00
Unless the color head is something you really want or need, you can find these in good shape, often with lenses, for $200 or a little less. (Search just "4x5" on Craigslist to see what I mean.) Some are motorized on the up/down movement of the head. Some of the early ones have the struts/braces go forward and anchor on the left and right of the baseboard. That can be very awkward with an easel. The later ones braced to the rear of the baseboard, where the braces don't interfere so much. Good luck.

Robert Ley
15-May-2009, 06:03
The Beseler 45 series is a workhorse in the darkroom. I have been using one for over thirty years. The beauty part of the Beseler is there are a million of them out there and parts are still available. Get Us a model number and the specifics of all the bits and pieces and we will have a better chance to tell you if it is a good deal. Beselers came in colors by the age of the enlarger and when it was made. I had a light blue one from the 70's and my latest is black(45 MXT). I have also seen them in gray. The MXT will have a focusing bellows the same size as the condenser bellows. All the previous 45's have a tapered focus bellows. The MXT is the preferred 45 as it is easier to align. Good Luck.
Robert

ic-racer
15-May-2009, 07:14
"Pragmatic" processor?? Do you mean a stabilization processor?

Brian Ellis
15-May-2009, 07:59
I sold my Beseler MXT without any head (sold the head separately), together with three Schneider Componon S lenses, four Paterson easels, a Peak ground glass focuser, and a bunch of miscellaneous darkroom stuff for $250.

gdi
15-May-2009, 16:17
Thanks for the info - I found out it is a 45MCR, if that matters.

Any tips on what should check for on the lenses to ensure they are good ones?

BTW, when I mentioned the chemicals I meant the Pragmatic print processor! :)

jeroldharter
15-May-2009, 19:26
The MCR is pretty old. I would get an MXT if possible. If you live in around a large city, they are easier to come by. Buying used online is a bit iffy because of shipping. I bought a 45 MXT for $99 without light source. But it was ruined in shipping so I guess I have $99 in parts. If the light source is a 45S, then the value of that is maybe $200. But I think the 45S came long after the MCR so it might be an old model. Also, the lenses might be old as well. Unless is it in great shape or has some modern lenses/light source then I would not spend more than $200.

gdi
16-May-2009, 02:43
Thanks Jerold, I did see a magazine ad for one on eBay - it was from the 50s!

Brian Ellis
16-May-2009, 07:57
Thanks for the info - I found out it is a 45MCR, if that matters.

Any tips on what should check for on the lenses to ensure they are good ones?

BTW, when I mentioned the chemicals I meant the Pragmatic print processor! :)

Other than inspecting them carefully and knowing the general reputation of the particular brand and model within the brand, I don't know of anything special to check with enlarger lenses. I avoided the kind that typically came as part of a package with the enlarger (e.g. Beselar or something like that for Beseler enlargers, Omegon or something for Omegas). El Nikkors have a good reputation, Schneider Componon Ss are the top-of-the-line Schneider lenses, Rodenstocks of course are generally excellent too though I'm not familiar with their various models.

As I'm sure you know, the market for darkroom equipment is totally a buyer's market today. Frankly if I owned a Beseler enlarger that was made in the '50s I'd probably pay someone to haul it away. There are just too many newer and better enlargers around that can be bought for very little to pay much if anything for an enlarger that old.